This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Injection Timing and Injection Pressure on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions of Ethanol ED95 under Partially Premixed Combustion Condition
Published November 17, 2015 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of injection timing and injection pressure on combustion characteristics and emissions of the direct injection single cylinder CI engine fueled with ethanol ED95 fuel (95% hydrous ethanol blended with 5% commercial additive by volume) under partially premixed combustion condition. The engine was modified to increase the compression ratio from 18 to 28. The experiment was tested at maximum engine load under a constant engine speed for all testing conditions.
The experimental results show a lower coefficient of variation (COV) for the indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP), which implies that higher combustion stability is achieved when the injection timing is advanced. However, the ignition delay significantly increases. In addition, when injection timing is advanced and the injection pressure is increased, THC and CO emissions increase due to lower combustion efficiency. Despite limitation of working operation at high load on ED95, it is remarkable to note that the indicated thermal efficiency of all ED95 experiments are achieved slightly higher compared to diesel.
CitationChumueang, R., Laoonual, Y., and Chollacoop, N., "Effects of Injection Timing and Injection Pressure on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions of Ethanol ED95 under Partially Premixed Combustion Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0826, 2015.
- Fenton , P. and Carlsson , H. BioEthanol for Sustainable Transport Results and Recommendations from the European BEST project Lenanders Grafiska AB 2009 8 21
- Laoonual , Y. Ethanol Fuel Technology for Substitution of Diesel Automotive Navigator Magazine, Thailand Automotive Institute Jul Sep 2013 26 Oct Dec 2013 28
- Saitoh , H. and Uchida , K. On the Main Factors Governing Auto-Ignition Phenomenon of Alcohol Spray - A Study from the View Point of Fuel Properties SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 911 920 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1931
- Sieber , D. and Edwards , C. Autoignition of Methanol and Ethanol Spray under Diesel Engine Conditions SAE Technical Paper 870588 1987 10.4271/870588
- Munsin , R. , Laoonual , Y. , Jugjai , S. , Matsuki , M. and Hidenori , K. Investigation of Effects of Ignition Improvers on Ignition Delay Time of Ethanol Combustion with Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0854 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0854
- Aramsiriwat , R. , Iempremjit , K. , Munsin , R. , Laoonual , Y. , Jugjai , S. and Tongroon , M. Classification of Startability Characteristics of a Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Ethanol and Ignition Improvers SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0119 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0119
- Mehrzad , K. , Bengt J. , Marcus L. and John A. G. Experimental Investigation on different Injection Strategies for Ethanol Partially Premixed Combustion SAE International 2013-01-0281 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0281
- Kaiadi , M. , Johansson , B. , Lundgren , M. , and Gaynor , J. Sensitivity Analysis Study on Ethanol Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 120 131 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0269
- Saitoh , H. and Uchida , K. Difference of Spray Mixture Formation between Gas-Oil and Ethanol in Constant Volume Electrical Heating Chamber SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-361 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3617
- Bailey , B. , Eberhardt , J. , Goguen , S. and Erwin , J. Diethyl Ether (DEE) as Renewable Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 972978 1997 10.4271/972978
- Mengqin , S. , Martin T. and Bengt J. Close to Stoichiometric Partially Premixed Combustion - The Benefit of Ethanol in Comparison to Conventional Fuels SAE International 2013-01-0277 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0277
- Simonsen , H. and Chomiak , J. Testing and Evaluation of Ignition Improvers for Ethanol in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 952512 1995