This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Analysis of the Effect of the Injection Pressure on a Small 2S LPDI Engine
Published November 17, 2015 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
The paper investigates the influence of the fuel injection pressure on a small two-stroke engine with low pressure direct injection (LPDI). The authors in previous studies showed the benefits of the LPDI system in reducing the fuel short circuit, both from an experimental and numerical point of view. As a direct consequence, both the specific fuel consumption and the pollutant emissions were notably reduced, reaching the typical performance of a standard four-stroke engine of comparable size.
The main drawback of the system is the limited time at disposal for delivering the fuel with difficulties in achieving a satisfactory air-fuel mixing and homogenization as well as fuel vaporization.
In order to overcome the aforementioned issues, a detailed numerical analysis is carried out by performing a wide set of CFD simulations to properly investigate and understand the many complex phenomena occurring during the interaction between the injected fuel and the fresh scavenging air. Starting from the reference configuration working with a fuel delivery pressure of 5 bar, lower and higher injection pressures are considered. The higher pressure (10 bar) is investigated to evaluate the effects of shortening the injection duration and increasing the fuel atomization. The lower pressure (3 bar) is investigated to evaluate the effects of distributing the total amount of delivered fuel along a wider crank angle range and of increasing the interaction with the fresh air. Different engine operating conditions are analyzed by varying the engine speed and load.
CitationBalduzzi, F., Vichi, G., Romani, L., and Ferrara, G., "CFD Analysis of the Effect of the Injection Pressure on a Small 2S LPDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0760, 2015.
- Ragg , P., W. , McKay , M., L. , and Brooks , R., S. Direct fuel injection by compressed gas Orbital Engine Company Patent US4759335A 1986
- Charmely , W. , Ryan , C. Exhaust emissions testing of Orbital 50cc direct injection two-stroke engine EPA, Environmental Protection Agency 1996
- Nesti , P. Two-stroke cycle internal combustion engine using pneumatically assisted direct fuel injection Piaggio & C. S.p.A. 2002
- Ambler , M. , Zocchi , A. Development of the Aprillia DI-Tech 50 SAE Tech. Paper 2001-01-1781 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1781
- Duret , P. , Lavy , J. , Venturi , S. , and Allen , C. SCIP Simplified Direct Injection for Low Emissions Small Two-Stroke Engines SAE Tech. Paper 1999-01-3289 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3289
- Venturi , S. , Lavy , J. , Duret , P. , Selva , M. et al. From Development to Industrialization of an IAPAC® Marine Outboard D.I. 2-Stroke Engine SAE Tech. Paper 2001-01-1780 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1780
- Nino , E. Two cycle internal combustion engine with direct fuel injection combustion system University of Basilicata Patent WO2004-106714A1 2004
- Winkler , F. , Oswald , R. , Schögl , O. , Kirchberger , R. et al. Application of Low Pressure Direct Injection and Semi-Direct Injection to a Small Capacity Two-Stroke Engine SAE Tech. Paper 2008-32-0059 2008 10.4271/2008-32-0059
- Balduzzi , F. , Vichi , G. , Romani , L. , Ferrara , G. et al. Development of a Low Pressure Direct Injection System for a Small 2S Engine. Part I - CFD Analysis of the Injection Process SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 1885 1897 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1727
- Romani , L. , Vichi , G. , Ferrara , G. , Balduzzi , F. et al. Development of a Low Pressure Direct Injection System for a Small 2S Engine. Part II - Experimental Analysis of the Engine Performance and Pollutant Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1730 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1730
- Ansys, Inc. 2013 Fluent Theory Guide
- Jajcevic , D. , Almbauer , R. , Schmidt , S. , Glinsner , K. et al. CFD Study of Spray Design for a GDI High Performance 2-Stroke Engine SAE Tech. Paper 2010-32-0014 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0014
- Bianchi , G. , Brusiani , F. , Postrioti , L. , Grimaldi , C. et al. CFD Analysis of Injection Timing Influence on Mixture Preparation in a PFI Motorcycle Engine SAE Tech. Paper 2006-32-0022 2006 10.4271/2006-32-0022
- Kim , H. , Lee , K. An investigation on the fuel behavior for a PFI type motorcycle engine J. of Mechanical Science and Technology 23 2507 2513 2009 10.1007/s12206-009-0714-8
- Basha , S.A. , Gopal , K.R. In-cylinder fluid flow, turbulence and spray models - A review Ren. and Sust. Energy Reviews 13 1620 1627 2009 10.1016/j.rser.2008.09.023
- Lucchini , T. , D'Errico , G. , Brusiani , F. , Bianchi , G. et al. Multi-dimensional modeling of the air/fuel mixture formation process in a PFI engine for motorcycle applications SAE Tech. Paper 2009-24-0015 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0015
- Ferrara , G. , Bellissima , A. , Doveri , M. , and Balduzzi , F. Development of a Non-Conventional Two Stroke Small Engine for Scooter Applications SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 462 472 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0016
- Ferrara , G. , Balduzzi , F. , and Vichi , G. An Innovative Solution for Two-Stroke Engines to Reduce the Short-Circuit Effects SAE Tech. Paper 2012-01-0180 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0180
- Lefebvre , A.H. Atomization and Sprays Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1989
- Faeth , G.M. , Hsiang , L.P. , Wu , P.K. Structure and Breakup Properties of Sprays Int. J. of Multiphase Flow 21 99 127 1995 10.1016/0301-9322(95)00059-7
- Wu , P.K. , Tseng , L.K. , Faeth , M. Primary Breakup in Gas/Liquid Mixing Layers for Turbulent Liquids Atomization and Sprays 2 3 295 317 1992