This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Parameters Affecting Liner Bore Distortion in DI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The stringent emission norms and increasing demand for engines with higher power density lead to an extensive investigation of parameters affecting combustion performance. Recent emission norms have forced the engine manufacturers to reduce the Particulate matter (PM) emissions along with other emissions substantially. In order to achieve lo PM emissions the lubrication oil consumption need to be controlled by optimizing piston group design with low liner bore distortion.
Bore Distortion is the deviation of actual profile from perfect circular profile at any plane perpendicular to axis of cylinder. Liner bore distortion in engines causes' number of problems like deterioration of piston ring performance, liner-ring conformability issues, high lubricating oil consumption and emissions. Besides traditional prediction of stresses, fatigue life and verification by mechanical testing, the prediction of liner bore distortion is one of today's most important topics in crankcase structure development. Low bore distortion opens up potential for optimized piston group design.
The research work focuses on analyzing the parameters affecting liner bore distortion in DI Diesel engines. The study has been carried out on direct injection diesel engine of heavy duty off-highway application with top hung liner. The effects of variation in gasket thickness, liner thickness, number of cylinder head bolts and bolt pre load on liner bore distortion are analyzed successfully.
Firstly, a FEA model of crankcase-liner-cylinder head assembly has been developed and the bore distortion results are compared with actual measurements on engine. An extensive analysis has been carried out to study effect of four parameters considered on liner bore distortion. Thus the present research work helps to bridge the gap between understanding the effect of these parameters on liner bore distortion occurrence, lube oil consumption and hence PM emissions.
CitationMohammed, U., Gokhale, N., Pardeshi, S., Gokhale, U. et al., "Analysis of Parameters Affecting Liner Bore Distortion in DI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0178, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0178.
- Loenne , K. and Ziemba , R. The GOETZE Cylinder Distortion Measurement System and the Possibilities of Reducing Cylinder Distortions SAE Technical Paper 880142 1988 10.4271/880142
- Gibbs Paul a technical report on -”Cylinder Bore Distortion 16 5 2001
- Schneider , E. , Blossfeld , D. , Lechman , D. , Hill , R. et al. Effect of Cylinder Bore Out-of-Roundness on Piston Ring Rotation and Engine Oil Consumption SAE Technical Paper 930796 1993 10.4271/930796
- Bird , L. and Gartside , R. Measurement of Bore Distortion in a Firing Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0485 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0485
- Mavrigian Mike Cylinder Bore Distortion”, a look at static and dynamic cylinder shape bore issues JULY SEPT 2010 Birchwood Automotive Group
- Bardzimashvili Teimuraz , Kelly James F. and Romelashvili Elene Distortion Inside A Piston Bor April 28 2004 Michigan State University MTH 844
- Mizutani , K. , Murata , K. , Suzawa , T. , and Niitsu , Y. Analysis of Dry Cylinder Liner Behavior During Engine Operation SAE Technical Paper 960059 1996 10.4271/960059
- Salah H. Ali R. , Mohamed H. H. , Bedewy M. K. A proposed mue-scale CMM diagnostic tool based on evolved deviations in geometrical measurements metrology and measurement systems XV 3 2008
- Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design Eighth Budynas-Nisbett 0-390-76487-6