This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pass by Noise Engineering Solutions - Beyond Homologation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Certification of vehicle noise emissions for passenger vehicles, motorcycles and light trucks is achieved by measuring external sound levels according to procedures defined by international standards such as ISO362. The current procedure based on a pass-by test during wide-open throttle acceleration is believed far from actual urban traffic conditions.
Hence a new standard pass-by noise certification is being evaluated for implementation. It will put testing departments through their paces with requirements for additional testing under multiple ‘real world’ conditions. The new standard, together with the fact that most governments are imposing lower noise emission levels, make that most of the current models do not meet the new levels which will be imposed in the future. Therefor automotive manufacturers are looking for new tools which are giving them a better insight in the Pass-by Noise contributors.
An advanced acoustic testing/analysis approach referred to as PBN Engineering is detailed which will help to arrive at the source contribution plots during the Pass by noise testing. Such a method and its results enables engineers to design subsystems, assemblies and individual components so the vehicle meets noise emission requirements targets set early in development. The approach is illustrated with case studies.
CitationVan der Auweraer, H., Janssens, K., Bianciardi, F., Deblauwe, F. et al., "Pass by Noise Engineering Solutions - Beyond Homologation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0122, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0122.
- Fritschi L. , Brown A.L. , Kim R , Schwela D. et al. Burden of disease from environmental noise - quantification of healthy life years lost in Europe Copenhagen World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe 2011
- ISO Standard ISO 362:2007 Measurement of noise emitted by accelerating road vehicles
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Road Vehicles SAE Standard J2805 Oct 2008
- Braun M.E. , Walsh S.J. , Horner J.L. , and Chuter R. Noise source characteristics in the ISO 362 vehicle pass-by noise test: Literature review Applied Acoustics 74 2013 1241 1265
- Lamotte L. , Cariou C. Qualifying the noise sources in term of localization and quantification during flight tests Proceedings EUCASS 2009 Versailles, France
- Lanslots J. , Deblauwe F. , Janssens K. Selecting the most appropriate sound source localization techniques for modern-day industrial applications Sound & Vibration Magazine April 2010
- Yang D. , Wang Z. , Li B. , Luo Y. et al. Quantitative measurement of pass-by-noise radiated by vehicles running at high speeds Journal of Sound and Vibration 330 2011 1352 1364
- Van de Ponseele P. , Van der Auweraer H. , Janssens K. Source-Transfer-Receiver approaches: a review of methods Proceedings ISMA Conference Leuven, Belgium 17 19 September 2012
- Verheij , J.W. Inverse and reciprocity methods for machinery noise source characterization and sound path quantification, part 1: sources International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration 2 1 1997 11 20
- Janssens , K. , Aarnoutse , P. , Gajdatsy , P. , Britte , L. et al. Time-Domain Source Contribution Analysis Method for In-Room Pass-By Noise SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1609 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1609
- Paviotti M. , Vogiatzis K. On the outdoor annoyance from scooter and motorbike noise in the urban environment Science of the Total Environment 430 2012 223 230
- Motor vehicle exhaust noise - new regulation 2014 http://bksi.eu/motor-vehicle-exhaust-noise-new-regulation-2014/
- Bianciardi F. , Janssens K. , Choukri M. , and Van der Auweraer H. Indoor pass-by noise engineering: a motorbike application case JSAE Symposium
- Ewins D. , Liu W. Transmissibility properties of MDOF systems Proc. 16th IMAC Conf. Santa Barbara, CA, US 1998 847 854
- Maia N.N.M. , Silva J.M.M , Ribeiro A.M.R. The transmissibility concept in multi-degree-of-freedom systems Mechanical Systems & Signal Processing 15 1 2001 129 137
- Riberio , A.M.R. , Silva J.M.M. , Maia N.M.M. On the generalization of the transmissibility concept Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 14 1 2000 29 35
- Devriendt C. , Guillaume P. Identification of modal parameters from transmissibility measurements Journal of Sound and Vibration 314 1-2 July 2008 343 356
- Gajdatsy P. , Janssens K. , Desmet W , Van der Auweraer H. Application of the transmissibility concept in Transfer Path Analysis Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 24 7 1963 1976
- de Klerk D. , Ossipov A. Operational Transfer Path Analysis: Theory, Guidelines & Tire Noise Application Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 24 7 2010 1950 1962
- Janssens K. , Bianciardi F. Time-domain ASQ method for pass-by noise engineering Proceedings NOISE-CON 2013 Denver, Colorado, USA 26 28 August 2013