This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Opposed-Piston 2-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Engine Dynamometer Demonstration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With mounting pressure on Indian manufacturers to meet future fuel economy and emissions mandates-including the recently passed Corporate Average Fuel Consumption (CAFC) standards for light-duty vehicles-many are evaluating new technologies. However, to provide an economically sustainable solution, these technologies must increase efficiency without increasing cost.
One promising solution to meet both current, and future, standards is the opposed-piston engine. Widely used in the early 20th century for on-road applications, use of the opposed-piston engine waseventually discontinued due to challenges with emissions and oil control. But advancements in computer-aided engineering tools, combined with state-of-the-art engineering practices, has enabled Achates Power to develop a modern opposed-piston diesel engine architecture that is clean, significantly more fuel efficient and less expensive to manufacture than today's four-stroke engines.
In addition to a short explanation of the opposed-piston engine and its inherent efficiency benefits, this technical paper will provide detailed performance and emissions results of a multi-cylinder Achates Power opposed-piston engine configured to meet commercial truck requirements. These results, which will be presented for the first time in India, demonstrate the engine's ability to:
- Substantially improve fuel economy over the best diesels in the same class
- Comply with U.S. 2010/Euro 6 emissions standards
This paper also provides a detailed overview of the opposed-piston multi-cylinder test engine's indicated thermal efficiency, friction and pumping losses.
CitationNaik, S., Redon, F., Regner, G., and Koszewnik, J., "Opposed-Piston 2-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Engine Dynamometer Demonstration," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0038, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0038.
- DieselNet Diesel Exhaust Emissions Standards http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/
- Pirault , J.-P. and Flint , M. Opposed Piston Engines: Evolution, Use, and Future Applications Warrendale SAE International 2009 10.4271/R-378
- Herold , R. , Wahl , M. , Regner , G. , Lemke , J. et al. Thermodynamic Benefits of Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2216 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2216
- Regner , G. , Naik , S. Not All Two-Stroke Engines Are Created Equal http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2013/09/27/not-all-two-stroke-engines-are-created-equal/ 2013
- Regner , G. Turbocharger Efficiency: An Underappreciated OP2S Advantage http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2013/01/23/turbocharger-efficiency/ 2013
- Regner , G. The Achates Power Engine: Low NOx and Superior Efficiency http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2013/02/27/low-nox/ 2013
- Fuqua , K. , Redon , F. , Shen , H. , Wahl , M. , and Lenski , B. Combustion Chamber Constructions for Opposed-Piston Engines U.S. Patent Application US20110271932
- Venugopal , R. , Abani , N. , and MacKenzie , R. Effects of Injection Pattern Design on Piston Thermal Management in an Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2423 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2423
- Regner , G. , Johnson , D. , Koszewnik , J. , Dion , E. et al. Modernizing the Opposed Piston, Two Stroke Engine for Clean, Efficient Transportation SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0114 2013 10.4271/2013-26-0114
- Pohorelsky , L. , Brynych , P. , Macek , J. , Vallaude , P. et al. Air System Conception for a Downsized Two-Stroke Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0831 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0831
- Ostrowski , G. , Neely , G. , Chadwell , C. , Mehta , D. et al. Downspeeding and Supercharging a Diesel Passenger Car for Increased Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0704 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0704
- Kalebjian , C. , Redon , F. , and Wahl , M. Low Emissions and Rapid Catalyst Light-Off Capability for Upcoming Emissions Regulations with an Opposed-Piston, Two-Stroke Diesel Engine Emissions 2012 Conference
- Teng , H. and Regner , G. Characteristics of Soot Deposits in EGR Coolers SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 2 81 90 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2671
- Senecal , P. , Richards , K. , Pomraning , E. , Yang , T. et al. A New Parallel Cut-Cell Cartesian CFD Code for Rapid Grid Generation Applied to In-Cylinder Diesel Engine Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0159 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0159
- Richards , K.J. , Senecal , P.K. , Pomraning , E. CONVERGE (Version 1.4.1) Convergent Science Inc. Middleton, WI 2012
- Patel , A. , Kong , S. , and Reitz , R. Development and Validation of a Reduced Reaction Mechanism for HCCI Engine Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0558 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0558
- Hiroyasu , H. and Kadota , T. Models for Combustion and Formation of Nitric Oxide and Soot in Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 760129 1976 10.4271/760129
- Nagle , J. , and Strickland-Constable , R.F. Oxidation of Carbon Between 1000-2000 C Proceedings of the Fifth Carbon Conference 1 154 1962
- Patterson , M.A. Modeling the Effects of Fuel Injection Characteristics on Diesel Combustion and Emissions Ph.D. Thesis University of Wisconsin-Madison 1997
- O'Rourke , P.J. Collective Drop Effects on Vaporizing Liquid Sprays Ph.D. Thesis Princeton University 1981
- Han , Z. , and Reitz , R.D. Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG k-ε Models Combustion Science and Technology 106 1995
- Klyza , C. Optical Measurement Methods used in Calibration and Validation of Modeled Injection Spray Characteristics 2010 Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER) Conference
- Naik , S. , Johnson , D. , Koszewnik , J. , Fromm , L. et al. Practical Applications of Opposed-Piston Engine Technology to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2754 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2754