This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Control of Evasive Steer Assist Using Rear Wheel Steering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A first step towards autonomous rear-end collision avoidance is to start providing natural support to driver in avoiding collision by steering and braking intervention. The proposed system detects slower-moving and stationary vehicles ahead and classifies the risk of having a rear-end-collision. If the risk is high and there is insufficient space to avoid a collision by braking only, the system helps the driver to steer around the obstacle by steering rear toe angle of the wheels individually. A lot of research already exist in the rear wheel steering but the role of rear wheel steering in collision avoidance is not researched yet in great details. Rear wheel steering is used to increase agility and manoeuvrability of vehicle at lower vehicle speed and stability of vehicle at higher vehicle speed. In the situation of the high speed rear end collision where steering is more effective than braking the strategy of control design of rear wheel steering needs to be dynamically updated. Linear threat assessment and path planning followed by optimal control of the trajectory in combination with driver steering shows a significant improvement in collision avoidance by steering. A test vehicle Mondeo is equipped with rear wheel steering is tested at different vehicle speed for collision avoidance against stationary and moving obstacles. A set of metrics are created to show the performance improvement against the base design of the vehicle.
CitationShah, J., "Development and Control of Evasive Steer Assist Using Rear Wheel Steering," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0004, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0004.
- Global Status Report on Road Safety 2009: Time for Action Geneva 2009
- Lozano R. , Naghavi M. , and Foreman K. Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010 Lancet 380 9859 2095 128 Dec. 2012
- Sminkey , L Global Plan for the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020 Geneva 2011
- Number of passenger cars worldwide in 2012, by region Statista 2014
- European Road Statistics http://ec.europa.eu/ transport /road_safety 17 March 2014
- Shah , J. et al. Integrated Collision Avoidance by Active Intervention of Brakes and Steer for Intelligent Vehicles 2014 FISITA World Congress
- GIDAS German In-Depth Accident Study www.gidas.org 10 January 2014
- Shah , J. , Best M. , Zegelaar , P. Performance of emergency steer assist in front wheel and rear wheel steering vehicle AVEC Tokyo 2014
- Dingle , P. Guzzella , Lino Optimal Emergency Maneuvers on Highways for Passenger Vehicles with Two- and Four-Wheel Active Steering Proc. of American Control Conference 2010
- Choi , J. et al. Emergency Driving Support Algorithm with steering torque overlay and differential braking 14th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2011
- Sledge , N. and Marshek , K. Development and Validation of an Optimized Emergency Lane-Change Trajectory SAE Technical Paper 980231 1998 10.4271/980231
- Soudbakhsh , D. and Eskandarian , A. A Collision Avoidance Steering Controller using Linear Quadratic Regulator SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0459 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0459
- Su JL and Ordys AW. Collision Avoidance Manoeuvre for a vehicle - a practical approach, 2009 Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Part D, Journal of Automotive Engineering 224 299 312
- Bevan GP , Gollee H and O'Reilly J. Trajectory generation for road vehicle obstacle avoidance using convex optimisation Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 224 4 455 473
- Schiebahn M , Zegelaar PWA , Hofmann O. Yaw Torque Control for Vehicle Dynamics Systems Theoretical Generation of Additional Yaw Torque VDI Berichte Nr 2014 101 119 2007
- Abe M. Vehicle dynamics and control for improving handling and active safety - from 4WS to DYC Proceedings of the IMechE Part K 213 1999