This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Transport across the Piston Ring Pack: Measurement System Development and Experiments for Online Fuel Transport and Oil Dilution Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The limitation of fuel entry into the oil sump of an internal combustion engine during operation is important to preserve the tribological properties of the lubricant and limit component wear. For observation and quantification of the effects leading to fuel entry, a highly sensitive and versatile measurement system is essential. While oil sampling from the sump followed by laboratory analysis is a common procedure, there is no system for automatic sampling of all the positions and fast online analysis of the samples.
For the research project ‘Fuel in Oil’, a measurement system was developed especially for the described tasks. The system is placed next to the engine in the test cell. Sampling points are the target point of the fuel injector jet and the liner below, the oil sump and the crankcase ventilation system. The system consists of a microliter volume and an aerosol sampling setup, a probe evaporator, an isothermal gas chromatograph and a triple quadrupole mass spectrometer with a modified ion source.
To quantify the fuel emission from the cylinder wall into the exhaust, an online exhaust gas measurement was carried out using a direct inlet system with the same mass spectrometer.
With the use of the described setup, it was possible to observe and quantify the effects leading to fuel entry into the oil sump as well as fuel leaving the sump.
|Technical Paper||Multimethod Concept for Continuous Wear-Analysis of the Piston Group|
|Technical Paper||Lube Oil Filtration Effect on Diesel Engine Wear|
|Technical Paper||Measurement Studies on the Tribological System Piston - Piston Ring - Cylinder|
CitationBehn, A., Feindt, M., Matz, G., Krause, S. et al., "Fuel Transport across the Piston Ring Pack: Measurement System Development and Experiments for Online Fuel Transport and Oil Dilution Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2535, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2535.
- Gohl , M. , Matz , G. , Ollesch , T. , and Püffel , P. Development and Application of a New Mass Spectrometer Based Measurement System for Fast Online Monitoring of Oil Emission in the Raw Exhaust Gas of Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2713 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2713
- Appel , N. , Gohl , M. , Robota , A. Vergleichende Untersuchungen zwischen Ölverbrauch und Ölemissionen an einem Ottomotor MTZ - Motortechnische Zeitschrift 67 5 360 367
- Gohl , M. and Adams , D. Analysis of Oil Emission Mechanisms by Simulation and Mass Spectrometry SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 489 506 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1562
- Gohl , M. , Brandt , S. , Wittler , M. , Budde , M. et al. Influence of the Mixture Formation on the Lubrication Oil Emission of Combustion Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 733 744 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1275
- Mahle GmbH Pistons and engine testing (Vieweg+Teubner Verlag 2012 261 269 978-3-8348-1590-3
- Trautmann , P. , Sauter H.L. Analyse und Abscheidung von Ölnebelaerosolen aus der Kurbelgehäuseentlüftung von Verbrennungsmotoren Teil 1. MTZ 61 2000 12
- Sauter , H. , Beekmann , A. , List , S. Online-Ölverbrauchsmessungen des Kurbelgehäuseentlüftungssystems von Otto- und Dieselmotoren Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug-und Motorentechnik 2009