This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation in a Gear Drive of an Engine Balancing Unit with Respect to Noise, Friction and Durability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a methodology for numerical investigation of a full flexible balancer drive together with engine and crank train under realistic operating conditions where shaft dynamics, gear contact and rattle impacts, gear root stresses and friction losses in bearings and gear interaction are taken into account and can be balanced against each other to achieve the design criteria.
Gear rattle is driven by the speed fluctuation of the crank train, the resistance torque (mainly friction), shaft inertia and the backlash in the gears. The actual trend to engine downsizing and up-torqueing increases the severity to rattle as engines are running on higher combustion pressures. This increases torque and speed fluctuation, which makes the detailed investigation in this torque transfer even more demanding.
A common method to reduce gear rattle is the usage of so-called scissors gears. The layout of those gears has significant influence on the gear durability and the overall losses, which requires a detailed and precise model to find the best compromise for the spring stiffness and preload.
The investigation is shown for a modern Inline 4-cylinder Diesel engine, equipped with a 2nd order mass balancing system and scissors gear between the crankshaft and the first balancer shaft. The change of gear contact loads, gear rattle, root stresses and balancer drive losses versus the operating range is presented and discussed. Sensitivity analysis of gear profile data and parameters of the scissors gear is performed.
This methodology allows the engineer a precise layout and detailed design of such system to reduce noise and losses and avoid gear failure, considering main and contra-dictionary effects, and within reasonable time.
CitationKlarin, B., Resch, T., Sessarego, C., Spanu, G. et al., "Numerical Investigation in a Gear Drive of an Engine Balancing Unit with Respect to Noise, Friction and Durability," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2526, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2526.
- Yang , C. , Shen , Y. , You , Y. , and Zhao , F. Design of Engine Gear-Driven Mass Balance Unit and NVH Performance Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0890 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0890
- Todorovic , G. and Parikyan , T. Automated Generation of Crankshaft Dynamic Model to Reduce Engine Development Time SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0926 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0926
- Parikyan , T. Unified Approach to generate Crankshaft Dynamic Models for 3D and Torsional Vibration Analyses Paper No. ICES2003-591; 2003 Spring Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Salzburg, Austria May 11-14 2003
- Priebsch H. H. ; Krasser J. Simulation of Vibration and Structure Borne Noise of Engines - A Combined Technique of FEM and Multi Body Dynamics CAD-EM Users' Meeting, Bad Neuenahr - Ahrweiler 1998
- Resch T. , Marušić S. , Teichman H. Comparison of Simulation and Measurement during NVH Analysis Haus der Technik Germany 2005
- Offner G. Modelling of Condensed Flexible Bodies Considering Non-linear Inertia Effects resulting from Gross Motions Proc. IMechE, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics 225 3 204 219 2011
- N.N. EXCITE Power Unit, software package for flexible multi-body dynamics
- Offner G. , Eizenberger T. and Priebsch H. H. , Separation of Reference Motions and Elastic Deformations in an Elastic Multi-body System Proc. IMechE, Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics 220 63 75 2006
- Drab C.B. , Engl H.W. , Haslinger J.R. , Offner G. , Pfau R.U. and Zulehner W. Dynamic simulation of crankshaft multibody systems Journal of Multibody System Dynamics 22 2 133 144 2009
- Resch T. , Klarin B. , Courtois S. Gear Noise Caused by Engine and Transmission Interaction - An Assessment Applying MBD and WBT Simulation VPC, 14. MTZ-Fachtagung Esslingen, Germany 2012
- Resch T. , Vock Ch. , Sopouch M. , Hozmec J. Gear Rattle Prediction using Coupled Bending and Torsional Approach SAE China 2011
- Sopouch M. , Barchanski , C ; Petrin H. , Offner G. , Haslinger J Simulation of Gearbox Structure Borne Noise using a detailed Multi-Body Dynamic Gear contact Getriebe in Fahrzeugen 2012, In Reihe: VDI-Berichte (2158); Düsseldorf VDI-Verlag GmbH, S. 425 442
- Priebsch H.H. , Dolinar A. , Sopouch M. Verification of Gear Train Dynamics of a Truck Diesel Engine AST User Meeting Graz, Austria 2001
- Peeken , H. Tribologie Band 1+2 Vorlesungs-manuskript RWTH Aachen 1987
- Kunert , K. Spannungsverteilung im Halbraum bei Elliptischer Flächenpressungsverteilung über einer rechteckigen Druckfläche Forschung auf dem Gebiete des Ingenieurwesens 165 174 1961