This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Cooler and Mixing Condensation Phenomena in the Long-Route Exhaust Gas Recirculation Line
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The abatement of nitrogen oxides emissions is a topic of major concern for automotive manufacturers. In addition to aftertreatment solutions such as LNT or SCR devices, the use of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is necessary in most of the applications to meet emissions regulations. Due to the high specific humidity of the exhaust gases, a high condensate flow may be generated if EGR gases are significantly cooled down. In the case of long-route EGR (LR-EGR) usage, this condensate flow would reach the compressor wheel. This paper explores the variables governing the condensation process and the potential effects of the liquid droplets and streams on the compressor wheel durability combining experimental and theoretical approach. For this purpose, visualization of both the condensate flow and the compressor wheel are performed. Tests are conducted in a flow test rig in which LR-EGR water content is reproduced by water injection on the hot air mass flow. Two different sources of condensate flow are considered: LR-EGR cooling and fresh air and LR-EGR mixing. The potential of both of these sources to generate condensates is explored by means of a lumped psychrometric model solving LR-EGR cooling and mixing with intake flow. While LR-EGR cooling is a source of condensate flow at low coolant temperature (during engine warm-up) and limits LR-EGR rate at low load, condensation in the mixing process is very dependent on the ambient temperature. This source becomes important as ambient temperature comes down combined with low LR-EGR rate and high LR-EGR outlet specific humidity, imposing additional constraints to LR-EGR usage.
CitationSerrano, J., Piqueras, P., Angiolini, E., Meano, C. et al., "On Cooler and Mixing Condensation Phenomena in the Long-Route Exhaust Gas Recirculation Line," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2521, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2521.
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 7 3 1207 1227 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1491
- Karsten , R. , Grisstede , I. , Franoschek , S. , Seyler et al. Diesel NOx Aftertreatment Systems for Upcoming LDV-Emission Legislations The Convergence of Systems Towards Sustainable Mobility: An ATA & SAE International Conference Torino, Italy Nov. 2012
- Posada , F. , Bandivadekar , A. , and German , J. Estimated Cost of Emission Control Technologies for Light-Duty Vehicles Part 2 - Diesel SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0539 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0539
- Niemi , S. , Paanu , T. , and Laurén , M. Effect of Injection Timing, EGR and EGR Cooling on the Exhaust Particle Number and Size Distribution of an Off-Road Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1988 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1988
- Desantes , J.M. , Luján , J.M. , Pla , B. and Soler , J.A. On the Combination of High-Pressure and Low-Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation Loops for Improved Fuel Economy and Reduced Emissions in High-Speed Direct-Injection Engines International Journal of Engine Research 14 1 3 11 2013
- Cornolti , L. , Onorati , A. , Cerri , T. , Montenegro , G. et al. 1DSimulation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Comparison of Short and Long EGR route solutions Applied Energy 111 1 15 2013
- Ladommatos , N. , Abdelhalim , S. and Zhao , H. The Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Combustion and Emissions International Journal of Engine Research 1 1 107 126 2000
- Luján , J. , Pla , B. , Moroz , S. and Bourgoin , G. Effect of Low Pressure EGR on Gas Exchange Processes and Turbocharging of a HSDI Engine Proceedings of the conference on thermo-and fluid-dynamic processes in Diesel engines THIESEL 2008 Valencia, Spain 2008
- TirumalaRao , K. , Poomkuzhimannil , Z.J. and Sunil , D. Water droplet erosion simulation of a turbocharger compressor wheel Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2014, Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, GT2014-26974 2014
- Bourgoin , G. , Tomas , E. , Lujan , J. , and Pla , B. Acidic Condensation in HP EGR Systems Cooled at Low Temperature Using Diesel and Biodiesel Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1530 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1530
- Abarham , M. , Chafekar , T. , Hoard , J. , Styles , D. et al. A Visualization Test Setup for Investigation of Water-Deposit Interaction in a Surrogate Rectangular Cooler Exposed to Diesel Exhaust Flow SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0364 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0364
- Warey , A. , Bika , A.S. , Long , D. , Balestrino , S. et al. Influence of water vapor condensation on exhaust gas recirculation cooler fouling International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 65 807 816 2013
- Moroz , S. , Bourgoin , G. , Luján , J. , and Pla , B. Acidic Condensation in Low Pressure EGR Systems using Diesel and Biodiesel Fuels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 2 305 312 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2805
- Hamed , A. , Tabakoff , W. and Wenglarz , R. Erosion and Deposition in Turbomachinery Journal of Propulsion and Power 22 2 350 360 2006
- Psychrometric Chart - Structure and Application, Siemens Building Technologies Group www.siemens.com 2014
- Moran , M.J. , Shapiro , H.N. Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics John Wiley & Sons, Inc 9780471787358 2006