This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Ethanol and Gasoline Blending and Dual Fueling on Engine Performance and Emissions.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ethanol is the most promising alternative fuel for spark ignition (SI) engines, that is blended with gasoline, typically. Moreover, in the last years great attention is paid to the dual fueling, ethanol and gasoline are injected simultaneously. This paper aims to analyze the better methods, blending or dual fueling in order to best exploit the potential of ethanol in improving engine performance and reducing pollutant emissions.
The experimental activity was carried out in a small displacement single cylinder engine, representative of 2-3 wheel vehicle engines or of 3-4 cylinder small displacement automotive engines. It was equipped with a prototype gasoline direct injection (GDI) head. The tests were carried out at 3000, 4000, and 5000 rpm full load. The investigated engine operating conditions are representative of the European homologation urban driving cycle. Engine performance and gaseous and particle emissions were measured at the exhaust by means of a gas analyzer and a smoke meter. Particle size distribution function was measured in the range from 5.6 to 560 nm by means of an Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer (EEPS). The gaseous and particle measurements were performed upstream and downstream of a three way catalyst (TWC), respectively. The results show that the dual fuel configuration allows an improvement of the engine performance and a reduction of exhaust emissions.
CitationCatapano, F., Di Iorio, S., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B., "Effects of Ethanol and Gasoline Blending and Dual Fueling on Engine Performance and Emissions.," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2490, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2490.
- Cooney , C.P. , Worm , Y.J. , Naber , J.D. Combustion characterization in an internal combustion engine with ethanol-gasoline blended fuels varying compression ratios and ignition timing Energy Fuels 2009 2319 24 2009
- Schifter , L. , Diaz , R. , Rodriguez , J.P. , Gómez, Gonzalez , U. Combustion and emissions behavior for ethanol-gasoline blends in a single cylinder engine Fuel 90 3586 3592 2011
- Zhao , F. , Lai , M.C. , Harrington , D.L. Automotive spark-ignition direct-injection gasoline engines Prog Energy Combust Sci 1999 25 437 562 1999
- REGULATION (EC) No. 715/2007
- Catapano , F. , Di Iorio , S. , Sementa , P. , and Vaglieco , B. Characterization of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends Combustion processes and Particle Emissions in a GDI/PFI Small Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1382 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1382
- Peckham , M. , Finch , A. , Campbell , B. , Price , P. et al. Study of Particle Number Emissions from a Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine Including Data from a Fast-Response Particle Size Spectrometer SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1224 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1224
- Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B.M. , Catapano , F. Thermodynamic and optical characterizations of a high performance GDI engine operating in homogeneous and stratified charge mixture conditions fuelled with gasoline and bio-ethanol Fuel 96 204 219 2012
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988
- UNECE 2010 Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Vehicles with Regard to the Emission of Pollutants According to Engine Fuel Requirements (83)
- Weinkauff , J. , Trunk , P. , Frank , J.H. , Dunn , M.J. Dreizler , A. , Bohm , B. Investigation of flame propagation in a partially premixed jet by high-speed-Stereo-PIV and acetone-PLIF Proc. Combust. Inst. 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2014.05.022
- Catapano , F. , Di Iorio , S. , Lazzaro , M. , Sementa , P. et al. Characterization of Ethanol Blends Combustion Processes and Soot Formation in a GDI Optical Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1316 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1316
- Balabin , R. M. , Synyaev , R. Z. , and Karpov , S. A. Quantitative measurement of ethanol distribution over fractions of ethanol-gasoline fuel Energy & Fuels 21 2460 2465 2007
- Kar , K. , Last , T. , Haywood , C. , and Raine , R. Measurement of Vapor Pressures and Enthalpies of Vaporization of Gasoline and Ethanol Blends and Their Effects on Mixture Preparation in an SI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 132 144 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0317
- Aleiferis , P. , Malcolm , J. , Todd , A. , Cairns , A. et al. An Optical Study of Spray Development and Combustion of Ethanol, Iso-Octane and Gasoline Blends in a DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0073 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0073
- Aleiferis , P.G. , Serras-Pereira , J. , van Romunde , Z. , Caine , J. , Wirth , M. Mechanisms of spray formation and combustion from a multi-hole injector with E85 and gasoline Combustion and Flame 157 735 756 2010
- Turner , D. , Xu , H. , Cracknell , R. F. , Natarajan , V. , Chen , X. Combustion performance of bio-ethanol at various blend ratios in a gasoline direct injection engine Fuel 90 1999 2006 2011
- Gao , J. , Jiang , D. , Huang , Z. Spray properties of alternative fuels: a comparative analysis of ethanol-gasoline blends and gasoline Fuel 86 1645 1650 2007