This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of an Ozone Generator to Control the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 6, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present investigation examines a new way to control the homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) process. An ozone generator was set up to seed the intake of a single-cylinder engine with low concentrations of ozone. Two kinds of gas supply were tested: an oxygen supply and an air supply; as well as two kinds of injection: a plenum injection and an injection inside one of the intake pipes. The results showed that air can easily be used and that the second injection mode is the best way to achieve an on-road application. Moreover, experiments demonstrated that each combustion parameter such as the phasing, the indicated mean effective pressure and the pollutants can be controlled by varying the capacity of the ozone generator. Then, from experimental results, two dynamic control approaches on the maximum pressure phasing were proposed. A cartography control showed that a fast control of the combustion phasing can be achieved and a closed loop control demonstrated an excellent accuracy. Finally, this investigation demonstrated that an on-road application is achievable and improvements of this new combustion control approach are discussed.
CitationMasurier, J., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., Rousselle, C. et al., "Application of an Ozone Generator to Control the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2456, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2456.
- Reitz R. D., “Directions in internal combustion engine research,” Combust. Flame, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 1-8, Jan. 2013.
- Yao M., Zheng Z., and Liu H., “Progress and recent trends in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 398-437, Oct. 2009.
- Lu X., Han D., and Huang Z., “Fuel design and management for the control of advanced compression-ignition combustion modes,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 741-783, Dec. 2011.
- Saxena S. and Bedoya I. D., “Fundamental phenomena affecting low temperature combustion and HCCI engines, high load limits and strategies for extending these limits,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 457-488, Oct. 2013.
- Dubreuil, A., Foucher, F., and Mounaϊm-Rousselle, C., “Effect of EGR Chemical Components and Intake Temperature on HCCI Combustion Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0044, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0044.
- Machrafi H. and Cavadias S., “An experimental and numerical analysis of the influence of the inlet temperature, equivalence ratio and compression ratio on the HCCI auto-ignition process of Primary Reference Fuels in an engine,” Fuel Process. Technol., vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1218-1226, Nov. 2008.
- Mohammadi, A., Kawanabe, H., Ishiyama, T., Shioji, M. et al., “Study on Combustion Control in Natural-Gas PCCI Engines with Ozone Addition into Intake Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0419, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0419.
- Maurya R. K. and Agarwal A. K., “Experimental investigation on the effect of intake air temperature and air-fuel ratio on cycle-to-cycle variations of HCCI combustion and performance parameters,” Appl. Energy, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1153-1163, Apr. 2011.
- Kalghatgi, G., “Fuel/Engine Interactions,” (Warrendale, SAE International, 2013), doi:10.4271/R-409.
- Aceves, S., Flowers, D., Martinez-Frias, J., Espinosa-Loza, F. et al., “Fuel and Additive Characterization for HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1814, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1814.
- Rapp V. H., Cannella W. J., Chen J.-Y., and Dibble R. W., “Predicting Fuel Performance for Future HCCI Engines,” Combust. Sci. Technol., vol. 185, no. April 2015, pp. 735-748, 2013.
- Tanaka S., Ayala F., Keck J. C., and Heywood J. B., “Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuels and additives,” Combust. Flame, vol. 132, no. 1-2, pp. 219-239, 2003.
- Lü X.-C., Chen W., and Huang Z., “A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 1. The basic characteristics of HCCI combustion,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1074-1083, Jun. 2005.
- He B.-Q., Yuan J., Liu M.-B., and Zhao H., “Combustion and emission characteristics of a n-butanol HCCI engine,” Fuel, vol. 115, pp. 758-764, Jan. 2014.
- Maurya R. K. and Agarwal A. K., “Experimental investigations of performance, combustion and emission characteristics of ethanol and methanol fueled HCCI engine,” Fuel Process. Technol., vol. 126, pp. 30-48, Oct. 2014.
- Aceves S. M., Smith J. R., Westbrook C., and Pitz W., “Compression Ratio Effect on Methane HCCI Combustion,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 569-574, 1998.
- Mohamed Ibrahim M. and Ramesh a., “Investigations on the effects of intake temperature and charge dilution in a hydrogen fueled HCCI engine,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, vol. 39, no. 26, pp. 14097-14108, 2014.
- Saisirirat P., Togbé C., Chanchaona S., Foucher F., Mounaim-Rousselle C., and Dagaut P., “Auto-ignition and combustion characteristics in HCCI and JSR using 1-butanol/n-heptane and ethanol/n-heptane blends,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 3007-3014, Jan. 2011.
- Hou Y., Lu X., Zu L., Ji L., and Huang Z., “Effect of High-Octane Oxygenated Fuels on n -Heptane-Fueled HCCI Combustion,” Energy & Fuels, no. 5, pp. 1425-1433, 2006.
- Morgan N., Smallbone A., Bhave A., Kraft M., Cracknell R., and Kalghatgi G., “Mapping surrogate gasoline compositions into RON/MON space,” Combust. Flame, vol. 157, no. 6, pp. 1122-1131, Jun. 2010.
- MacHado G. B., Barros J. E. M., Braga S. L., Braga C. V. M., De Oliveira E. J., Da Silva A. H. M. D. F. T., and Carvalho L. D. O., “Investigations on surrogate fuels for high-octane oxygenated gasolines,” Fuel, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 640-646, 2011.
- Lü X.-C., Chen W., and Huang Z., “A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 2. Effect of operating conditions and EGR on HCCI combustion,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1084-1092, Jun. 2005.
- Sjöberg M., and Dec J. E., “Influence of EGR Quality and Unmixedness on the High-Load Limits of HCCI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 492-510, Apr. 2009.
- Andwari A. M., Aziz A. A., Said M. F. M., and Latiff Z. A., “Experimental investigation of the influence of internal and external EGR on the combustion characteristics of a controlled auto-ignition two-stroke cycle engine,” Appl. Energy, vol. 134, pp. 1-10, Dec. 2014.
- Andre M., Walter B., Bruneaux G., Foucher F., and Mounaim-Rousselle C., “Exhaust gas recirculation stratification to control diesel homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion,” Int. J. Engine Res., vol. 13, pp. 429-447, 2012.
- Sjoberg M. and Dec J. E., “Effects of EGR and its constituents on HCCI autoignition of ethanol,” Proc. Combust. Instituteg, vol. 33, pp. 3031-3038, 2011.
- Sjöberg, M., Dec, J., and Hwang, W., “Thermodynamic and Chemical Effects of EGR and Its Constituents on HCCI Autoignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0207, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0207.
- Dubreuil A., Foucher F., Mounaïm-Rousselle C., Dayma G., and Dagaut P., “HCCI combustion: Effect of NO in EGR,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 2879-2886, Jan. 2007.
- Contino F., Foucher F., Dagaut P., Lucchini T., D'Errico G., and Mounaïm-Rousselle C., “Experimental and numerical analysis of nitric oxide effect on the ignition of iso-octane in a single cylinder HCCI engine,” Combust. Flame, vol. 160, no. 8, pp. 1476-1483, Aug. 2013.
- Masurier J.-B., Foucher F., Dayma G., and Dagaut P., “Investigation of iso-octane combustion in a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine seeded by ozone, nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide,” Proc. Combust. Inst., Jun. 2014.
- Nishida H., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Natural Gas / Air Mixture with Ozone Addition,” J. Propuls. Power, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 151-157, 2006.
- Masurier, J., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., and Dagaut, P., “Effect of Additives on Combustion Characteristics of a Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2662, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2662.
- Yamada H., Yoshii M., and Tezaki A., “Chemical mechanistic analysis of additive effects in homogeneous charge compression ignition of dimethyl ether,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 2773-2780, Jan. 2005.
- Foucher F., Higelin P., Mounaїm-Rousselle C., and Dagaut P., “Influence of ozone on the combustion of n-heptane in a HCCI engine,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 3005-3012, Jan. 2013.
- Masurier J., Foucher F., Dayma G., and Dagaut P., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion of Primary Reference Fuels Influenced by Ozone Addition,” Energy & Fuels, 2013.
- Masurier, J., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., Mounaïm-Rousselle, C. et al., “Towards HCCI Control by Ozone Seeding,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0049, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0049.
- Tachibana T., Hirata K., Nishida H., and Osada H., “Effect of ozone on combustion of compression ignition engines,” Combust. Flame, vol. 85, no. 3-4, pp. 515-519, Jun. 1991.
- Butt R. H., Chen Y., Mack J. H., Saxena S., Dibble R. W., and Chen J.-Y., “Improving ion current of sparkplug ion sensors in HCCI combustion using sodium, potassium, and cesium acetates: Experimental and numerical modeling,” Proc. Combust. Inst., pp. 1-9, Jul. 2014.