This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Injection Strategies on Fluid Flow and Turbulence in Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) in a Light Duty Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Partially premixed combustion (PPC) is used to meet the increasing demands of emission legislation and to improve fuel efficiency. With gasoline fuels, PPC has the advantage of a longer premixed duration of the fuel/air mixture, which prevents soot formation. In addition, the overall combustion stability can be increased with a longer ignition delay, providing proper fuel injection strategies.
In this work, the effects of multiple injections on the generation of in-cylinder turbulence at a single swirl ratio are investigated. High-speed particle image velocimetry (PIV) is conducted in an optical direct-injection (DI) engine to obtain the turbulence structure during fired conditions. Primary reference fuel (PRF) 70 (30% n-heptane and 70% iso-octane) is used as the PPC fuel. In order to maintain the in-cylinder flow as similarly as possible to the flow that would exist in a production engine, the quartz piston retains a realistic bowl geometry. The distortion caused by the complex shape of the optical piston is corrected by an advanced image-dewarping algorithm. The in-cylinder charge motion is evaluated and investigated over a range of crank angles in the compression and expansion strokes in order to understand the turbulence level, especially the late-cycle turbulence.
The results show the spatial and temporal development of the flow-field structures in the piston bowl. The PIV data, obtained in the vertical plan, are used to calculate the ensemble average velocity turbulent kinetic energy (TKE), cycle-resolved turbulence, and mean velocity of the instantaneous fluid motion.
|Technical Paper||Performance Analysis of Engine down Speeding in Emission & Fuel Economy|
|Journal Article||Development of a High Turbulence, Low Particle Number, High Injection Pressure Gasoline Direct Injection Combustion System|
CitationTanov, S., Wang, Z., Wang, H., Richter, M. et al., "Effects of Injection Strategies on Fluid Flow and Turbulence in Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) in a Light Duty Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2455, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2455.
- Kalghatgi , G. , Risberg , P. , and Ångström , H. Advantages of Fuels with High Resistance to Auto-ignition in Late-injection, Low-temperature, Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3385 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3385
- Manente , V. , Johansson , B. , Tunestal , P. , and Cannella , W. Effects of Different Type of Gasoline Fuels on Heavy Duty Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 71 88 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2668
- Neely , G. , Sasaki , S. , and Leet , J. Experimental Investigation of PCCI-DI Combustion on Emissions in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0121 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0121
- Takeda , Y. , Keiichi , N. , and Keiichi , N. Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection SAE Technical Paper 961163 1996 10.4271/961163
- Kanda , T. , Hakozaki , T. , Uchimoto , T. , Hatano , J. et al. PCCI Operation with Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0378 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0378
- Miles , P. , Megerle , M. , Sick , V. , Richards , K. et al. The Evolution of Flow Structures and Turbulence in a Fired HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3501 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3501
- Miles , P. , Megerle , M. , Hammer , J. , Nagel , Z. et al. Late-Cycle Turbulence Generation in Swirl-Supported, Direct-Injection Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0891 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0891
- Miles , P. , Megerle , M. , Nagel , Z. , Reitz , R. et al. An Experimental Assessment of Turbulence Production, Reynolds Stress and Length Scale (Dissipation) Modeling in a Swirl-Supported DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1072 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1072
- Colban W. , Ekoto , I. , Kim , D. , and Miles , P.C. In-cylinder PIV measurements in an optical Light-Duty Diesel at LTC Condition THIESEL 2008
- Reuss , D. , Kuo , T. , Khalighi , B. , Haworth , D. et al. Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements in a High-Swirl Engine Used for Evaluation of Computational Fluid Dynamics Calculations SAE Technical Paper 952381 1995 10.4271/952381
- Miles , P.C. , Hildingsson , L. , and Hultqvist , A. The influence of fuel injection and heat release on bulk flow structures in a direct-injection, swirl-supported diesel engine Exp Fluids 43 273 283 2007 10.1007/s00348-007-0281-7
- Johansson , B. Influence of the Velocity Near the Spark Plug on Early Flame Development SAE Technical Paper 930481 1993 10.4271/930481
- Valentino , G. and Corcione , F.E. Analysis of In-Cylinder Flow Process by LDA Combustion and Flame 99 387 394 1994
- Funk , C. , Sick , V. , Reuss , D. , and Dahm , W. Turbulence Properties of High and Low Swirl In-Cylinder Flows SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2841 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2841
- Reuss , D. Cyclic Variability of Large-Scale Turbulent Structures in Directed and Undirected IC Engine Flows SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0246 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0246
- Nordgren , H. , Hildingsson , L. , Johansson , B. , Dahlén , L. et al. Comparison Between In-Cylinder PIV Measurements, CFD Simulations and Steady-Flow Impulse Torque Swirl Meter Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3147 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3147
- Rimmer , J. , Long , E. , Garner , C. , Hargrave , G. et al. The Influence of Single and Multiple Injection Strategies on In-Cylinder Flow and Combustion within a DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0660 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0660
- Hildingsson , L. , Hultqvist , A. , and Miles , P. The effect of swirl and injection phasing on flow structures and mixing in an HSDI diesel engine THIESEL 2006
- Miles , P. C. , Collin , R. , Hildingsson , A. , Hultqvist , A. , and Andersson , Ö. Combined Measurements of Flow Structure, Partially Oxidized Fuel, and Soot in a High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Proc. Combust. Inst 31 2963 2970 2007
- Bowditch , F. A New Tool for Combustion Research A Quartz Piston Engine SAE Technical Paper 610002 1961 10.4271/610002
- Heywood , J. B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1988
- Ekenberg , M. , Reinmann , R. , Olofsson , E. , Gillet , B. et al. The Influence of a Late In-Cylinder Air Injection on In-Cylinder Flow Measured with Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3492 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3492
- Dantec Measurement Technology A/S FlowMap Particle Image Velocimetry Instrumentation - Installation & User's guide 2000
- Tanov , S. , Collin , R. , Johansson , B. , and Tuner , M. Combustion Stratification with Partially Premixed Combustion, PPC, using NVO and Split Injection in a LD - Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 4 1911 1919 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2677