This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dual Fuel Diesel Engine at Variable Operating Conditions: A Numerical and Experimental Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The dual-fuel (diesel/natural gas, NG) concept represents a solution to reduce emissions from diesel engines by using natural gas as an alternative fuel. As well known, the dual-fuel technology has the potential to offer significant improvements in the emissions of carbon dioxide from light-duty compression ignition engines. A further important requirement of the DF operation in automotive engines is a satisfactory response in a wide range of load levels. In particular, the part-load levels could present more challenging conditions for an efficient combustion development, due to the poor fuel/air ratio.
Basing on the above assumptions, the authors discuss in this article the results of a combined numerical and experimental study on the effect of different injection timings on performance and pollutant fractions of a common rail diesel engine supplied with natural gas and diesel oil. The study of dual-fuel engines that is carried out in this paper aims at the evaluation of the CFD capability to analyze the main phenomena that characterize this particular technology. Actually, in order to put into evidence the key processes that take place during the dual-fuel operation, say the typical flame propagation throughout the premixed methane-air medium that is activated by the early self-ignition of the diesel fuel, the fluid-dynamic calculations are extremely useful.
The different conditions have been induced by changes in the operating parameter setting; in particular, the tests have been performed by varying the injection timing for a fixed NG ratio, both at full and at part load. Actually, the start of the liquid fuel injection can considerably influence the combustion development and therefore THC and NOx fractions production. The calculations have been validated with the experimental data and a comparison between diesel and dual fuel diesel/CNG operation has been made, in terms of performance and pollutant levels. A detailed description of the phenomena that govern the engine response at several operating conditions and at different load levels is then provided.
CitationAbagnale, C., Cameretti, M., Ciaravola, U., Tuccillo, R. et al., "Dual Fuel Diesel Engine at Variable Operating Conditions: A Numerical and Experimental Study," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2411, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2411.
- Mustafi NN , Raine RR , Verhelst S Combustion and emissions characteristics of a dual fuel engine operated on alternative gaseous fuels Fuel 2013 109 669 678
- Splitter D a. , Reitz RD Fuel reactivity effects on the efficiency and operational window of dual-fuel compression ignition engines Fuel 2014 118 163 175
- Liu , Z. and Karim , G. A Predictive Model for the Combustion Process in Dual Fuel Engines SAE Technical Paper 952435 1995 10.4271/952435
- Karim , G. , Liu , Z. , and Jones , W. Exhaust Emissions from Dual Fuel Engines at Light Load SAE Technical Paper 932822 1993 10.4271/932822
- Badr OA , Karim GA , Liu B An examination of the flame spread limits in a dual fuel engine Applied Thermal Engineering 1999 19 10 1071 1080
- Papagiannakis RG , Rakopoulos CD , Hountalas DT , Rakopoulos DC Emission characteristics of high speed, dual fuel, compression ignition engine operating in a wide range of natural gas/diesel fuel proportions Fuel 2010 89 7 1397 1406
- Korakianitis , T , Namasivayam AM , Crookes RJ Natural-gas fueled spark-ignition (SI) and compression-ignition (CI) engine performance and emissions Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 2011 37 1 89 112
- Papagiannakis R. , Hountalas D Combustion and exhaust emission characteristics of a dual fuel compression ignition engine operated with pilot Diesel fuel and natural gas Energy Convers. Manag. 2004 45 18-19 2971 2987
- Selim MYE Pressure-time characteristics in diesel engine fueled with natural gas Renewable Energy 2001 22 4 473 489
- Liu , Z , Karim GA Knock characteristics of dual-fuel engines fuelled with hydrogen fuel Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 1995 20 11 919 924
- Nwafor OMI Knock characteristics of dual-fuel combustion in diesel engines using natural gas as primary fuel Sadhana 2002 27 3 375 382
- Selim MYE Sensitivity of dual fuel engine combustion and knocking limits to gaseous fuel composition Energy Convers. Manag. 2004 45 3 411 425
- Liu , Z. and Karim , G. The Ignition Delay Period in Dual Fuel Engines SAE Technical Paper 950466 1995 10.4271/950466
- Abd Alla GH , Soliman HA , Badr OA , Abd Rabbo MF Effect of injection timing on the performance of a dual fuel engine Energy Convers. Manag 2002 43 2 269 277
- Liu , J , Yang , F , Wang , H , Ouyang , M , Hao S Effects of pilot fuel quantity on the emissions characteristics of a CNG/diesel dual fuel engine with optimized pilot injection timing Appl. Energy 2013 110 x 201 206
- Dahodwala , M , Joshi , S , Koehler EW , Franke M Investigation of Diesel and CNG Combustion in a Dual Fuel Regime and as an Enabler to Achieve RCCI Combustion 2014
- Krishnan SR , Inivasan KK Multi-zone modelling of partially premixed low-temperature combustion in pilot-ignited natural-gas engines Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 2010 224 12 1597 1622
- Selim MYE Effect of exhaust gas recirculation on some combustion characteristics of dual fuel engine Energy Convers. Manag 2003 44 707 721
- Ma , X , Zhang , F , Xu , H , Shuai S Throttleless and EGR-controlled stoichiometric combustion in a diesel-gasoline dual-fuel compression ignition engine Fuel 2014 115 765 777
- Abdelaal MM , Hegab AH Combustion and emission characteristics of a natural gas-fueled diesel engine with EGR Energy Convers. Manag. 2012 64 301 312
- Pirouzpanah , V , Saray , R Khoshbakhti , Sohrabi , A , Niaei A Comparison of thermal and radical effects of EGR gases on combustion process in dual fuel engines at part loads Energy Convers. Manag. 2007 48 7 1909 1918
- Mahla SK , Das LM , Babu MKG Effect of EGR on Performance and Emission Characteristics of Natural Gas Fueled Diesel Engine Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering 2010 4 4 523 530
- De Simio , L , Gambino , M , Iannaccone S Low-polluting, high-efficiency, mixed fuel/natural gas engine for transport application Brebbia CA Urban Transport XIII: Urban Transport and the Environment in the 21st Century I Southampton, UK WIT Press 2007 493 502
- Gebert , K. , Beck , N. , Barkhimer , R. , and Wong , H. Strategies to Improve Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Dual-Fuel Pilot Ignited Natural Gas Engines SAE Technical Paper 971712 1997 10.4271/971712
- McTaggart-Cowan , G. , Mann , K. , Wu , N. , and Munshi , S. An Efficient Direct-Injection of Natural Gas Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1332 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1332
- Maghboul , A , Saray RK , Shafee , S , Ghafouri J Numerical study of combustion and emission characteristics of dual-fuel engines using 3D-CFD models coupled with chemical kinetics Fuel 2013 106 98 105
- Mtui PL Performance And Emissions Modeling Of Natural Gas Dual Fuelling Of Large Diesel Engines International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research 2013 2 11 317 323
- Prakash , G. , Ramesh , A. , and Shaik , A. An Approach for Estimation of Ignition Delay in a Dual Fuel Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0232 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0232
- Abagnale , C , Cameretti MC , De Simio , L , Gambino , M , Iannaccone , S , Tuccillo R Numerical Simulation And Experimental Test Of Dual Fuel Operated Diesel Engines Applied Thermal Engineering 2014 65 403 417
- Abagnale C. , Cameretti MC. , De Simio L. , Gambino M. , Iannaccone S. , Tuccillo R Combined numerical-experimental study of dual fuel diesel engine Energy Procedia 2013 45 721 730
- Cameretti MC. , Ciaravola U. , De Simio L. , Iannaccone S. , Tuccillo R. A numerical and experimental study of dual fuel diesel engine for different injection Timings proceedings of International Conference ASME-ATI-UIT 2015 Conference on Thermal Energy Systems: Production, Storage, Utilization and the Environment Napoli, Italy
- Cameretti M.C. , and Tuccillo R. 2007 Flow and Atomization Models for C.R. Diesel Engine CFD Simulation ASME paper JRCICE 2007-40068