This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Pressure Losses of Unsteady Compressible Flows in Three- Way Junctions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this paper is to extend the evaluation of the accuracy of published 1-D pressure loss coefficients which are used in 1-D gas dynamics models, in unsteady compressible flows propagating in the exhaust pulses in manifolds. These pressure loss coefficients were derived from the conservation of linear momentum over finite control volumes based on assumptions including steady flow. The objectives of this work were to evaluate the accuracy of the pressure loss coefficients over the type of flows generated by engine-like pressure pulses propagating in a range of three-pipe junctions. The evaluation was performed by reference to results from unsteady, compressible, 3-D Reynolds-averaged computational fluid dynamic (CFD - open source software OpenFOAM) simulations. Two of the junction branches represented the exhaust pipes from two cylinders and the remaining was the outlet pipe. All pipes had a diameter of 25mm with length ratio 1:2 between inlet and outlet. Y junctions of 30° and 60° degrees and a T junction of 60° were tested with a blow-down 1.8bar isothermal pulse at 45Hz as the inlet boundary condition. The results have shown that the temporal pressure loss ‘signal’, as calculated between stations 5 diameters away of each of the junction ends, has also the shape of a pulse. The discrepancies observed with the 1D model occur at the beginning of the pulse and during the deceleration phase for all three geometries tested. For the Y30° discrepancies also occurred in the intermediate regions leading to less satisfactory results.
CitationNikita, C., Hardalupas, Y., and Taylor, A., "Study of Pressure Losses of Unsteady Compressible Flows in Three- Way Junctions," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2399, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2399.
- Benson , R.S. The thermodynamics and gas dynamics of engine manifolds 1 Horlock J.H. and Winterbone D.E. Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Annand W.J.D. , Roe G.E. Gas flow in the internal combustion engine Foolis 1974
- Blair , G. Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1999 10.4271/R-186
- Kirkpatrick , S. , Blair , G. , Fleck , R. , and McMullan , R. Experimental Evaluation of 1-D Computer Codes for the Simulation of Unsteady Gas Flow Through Engines - A First Phase SAE Technical Paper 941685 1994 10.4271/941685
- Montenegro , G. , Onorati , A. , Piscaglia , F. , and D'Errico , G. Integrated 1D-MultiD Fluid Dynamic Models for the Simulation of I.C.E. Intake and Exhaust Systems SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0495 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0495
- Winterbone D.E. , Pearson R.J. Theory of Engine Manifold Design Professional Engineering Publishing Limited 2000 1860582095
- Miller , D.S. Internal Flow Systems British Hydraulics Research Assosiation Cranfield 1971
- Nichols , J.R. Techniques for the design of manifolds with pulse converters Ph.D. Thesis University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology 1984
- Benson R.S. , Woollatt D. , Woods W.A. Unteady Flow in Branch Systems Proc. I.Mech.E. 178 1963 64
- Corberán J.M. A new constant pressure junction model for N-branch junctions Proc. I. Mech. E. 206 117 123 1992
- Hager W.H. An approximate treatment of flow in branches and bends Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 198C 4 1984
- Abou-Haidar , N. I. and Dixon , S. L. Pressure losses in combining subsonic flows through branched ducts Trans.ASME, J. Turbomach. 114 264 270 1992
- Bassett , M.D. , Winterbone , D.E. , Pearson , R.J. Calculation of steady flow pressure loss coefficients for pipe junctions Proc. I.Mech.E. 215C 861 881 2001
- Matthew G.D. Simple approximate treatment of certain in compressible duct flow problems involving separation J. Mech. Eng. Science 57 64 1975
- Bingham J.F. , Blair G F. An improved branched pipe model for multi-cylinder automotive engine calculations Proc. I.Mech.E. 199 D1 1985
- Bassett , M. , Pearson , R. , Fleming , N. , and Winterbone , D. A Multi-Pipe Junction Model for One-Dimensional Gas-Dynamic Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0370 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0370
- Onorati , A. , Ferrari , G. , Cerri , T. , Cacciatore , D. et al. 1D Thermo-Fluid Dynamic Simulation of a High Performance Lamborghini V12 S.I. Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0692 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0692