This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling Waves in ICE Ducts: Comparison of 1D and Low Order Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The paper presents a comparative study of various models used to estimate gas dynamics in internal combustion engine (ICE) ducts. 1D models provide a sufficient accuracy, but they are still not implementable on current ECUs. On the other hand, low order models can be real-time but their lack of accuracy and high calibration cost are still a challenging problem.
This work aims at presenting a comparison of currently used gas dynamics models to predict transient phenomena in engine ducts. It emphasizes on 1D and low order models. To test under engine-like conditions, the intake path of a virtual engine implemented in GT-Power and a production two cylinder engine are used.
Results show a contrast in the performance of the different models, which gives the possibility to evaluate the various approaches. Based on this assessment and depending on the application in hand, the models can be chosen properly to estimate the gas dynamics in internal combustion engine ducts.
|Technical Paper||Hand Link Modeling and Motion Generation from Motion Capture Data Based on 3D Joint Kinematics|
|Technical Paper||Design Environment for Nonlinear Model Predictive Control|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Validation of an FSAE Engine Model|
CitationMeddahi, F., Fleck, C., Grodde, S., Charlet, A. et al., "Modeling Waves in ICE Ducts: Comparison of 1D and Low Order Models," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2386, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2386.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Benson , R. Numerical solution of one dimensional non-steady flow with supersonic and subsonic flows and heat transfer International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 1972
- Benson , R. S. The thermodynamics and gas dynamics of internal-combustion engines I Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Chang , S. and To , W,M. A brief description of a new numerical framework for solving conservation laws: The method of space time conservation element solution element 13th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Fluid Dynamics 1992
- Briz , G. and Giannattasio , P. Applicazion dello schema numerico “conservation element-solution element” al calcolo del flusso non stazionario nei condotti dei motori a c.i. Proc. 48th ATI National Congress, Taomina, Italy 1993
- Pearson , R. and Winterbone , D. Calculating the effects of variations in composition on wave propagation in gases International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 35 1993
- Onorati , a. , Perotti , M. , and Rebay , S. Modelling one-dimensional unsteady flows in ducts: Symmetric finite difference schemes versus galerkin discontinuous finite element methods International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 39 11 1213 1236 1997 00207403 10.1016/S0020-7403(97)00014-3
- Peters , B. and Gosman , A. Numerical Simulation of Unsteady Flow in Engine Intake Manifolds SAE Technical Paper 930609 1993 10.4271/930609
- Jensen , J. , Kristensen , A. , Sorenson , S. , Houbak , N. et al. Mean Value Modeling of a Small Turbocharged Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 910070 1991 10.4271/910070
- Hendricks , E. , Chevalier , A. , Jensen , M. , Sorenson , S. et al. Modelling of the Intake Manifold Filling Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 960037 1996 10.4271/960037
- Müller , M. , Hendricks , E. , and Sorenson , S. Mean Value Modelling of Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 980784 1998 10.4271/980784
- Grondin , O. , Stobart , R. , Chafouk , H. , and Maquet , J. Modelling the Compression Ignition Engine for Control: Review and Future Trends SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0423 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0423
- Stephanie , S. , Marcello , C. , Yann , G. , Augusto , D. T. , Gianluca , M. , and Angelo , O. Modeling wave action effects in ice air path systems comparison of numerical and systems dynamics approaches International Journal of Engine Research (IMech)-SAGE 2012
- Denga , H. , Jianga , M. , and Huanga , C.-Q. New spatial basis functions for the model reduction of nonlinear distributed parameter systems Journal of Process Control 22 2012
- Vladimir , D. , Rob , R. , and Mikhail , Z. An extended krylov subspace model-order reduction technique to simulate wave propagation in unbounded domains Journal of Computational Physics 2014
- Chalet , D. , Mahe , A. , Migaut , J. , and Hetet , J. Multifrequency modeling of unsteady flows in the inlet manifold of an ice Proc. IMechE 226 2011
- Chalet , D. , Mahé , A. , Hétet , J.-F. , and Migaud , J. A new modeling approach of pressure waves at the inlet of internal combustion engines Journal of Thermal Science 2011 10.1007/s11630-011-0455-8
- Cipollone , R. and Sciarretta , A. The Quasi-Propagatory Model: A New Approach for Describing Transient Phenomena in Engine Manifolds SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0579 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0579
- Cipollone , R. and Pinamonti, Silvio , S. Homentropic subsonic in engine ducts: New theoretical procedure and experimental validation 6th World Conference on Experimental Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, and Thermodynamics 2005
- Cipollone , R. , Martella , L. , Scarpone , L. , and Valente , R. A New Modeling to Predict the Fluid Dynamic Transient Phenomena in Ice Ducts SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2389 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2389
- Kuzmin , D. A Guide to Numerical Methods for Transport Equations Friedrich-Alexander-Universität. Erlangen-Nürnberg 2010
- Lax , P. and Wendroff , B. System of conservation laws Communications on pure and applied mathematics 217 237 1960
- Harten , A. On a class of high resolution total-variation-stable finite-difference schemes SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis 21 1 1 23 1984
- Chang , S.-C. The method of space time conservation element and solution element_a new approach for solving the navier stokes and euler equations.pdf Journal of Computational Physics 1995
- Onorati , A. and Ferrari , G. Modeling of 1-D Unsteady Flows in I.C. Engine Pipe Systems: Numerical Methods and Transport of Chemical Species SAE Technical Paper 980782 1998 10.4271/980782