This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An ICE Map Generation Tool Applied to the Evaluation of the Impact of Downsizing on Hybrid Vehicle Consumption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Legal constraints concerning CO2 emissions have made the improvement of light duty vehicle efficiency mandatory. In result, vehicle powertrain and its development have become increasingly complex, requiring the ability to assess rapidly the effect of several technological solutions, such as hybridization or internal combustion engine (or ICE) downsizing, on vehicle CO2 emissions. In this respect, simulation is nowadays a common way to estimate a vehicle's fuel consumption on a given driving cycle. This estimation can be done with the knowledge of vehicle main characteristics, its transmission ratio and efficiency and its internal combustion engine fuel consumption map. While vehicle and transmission parameters are relatively easy to know, the ICE consumption map has to be obtained through either test bench measurements or computation. Experimental measurement gives the most precise data but proves to be a too much time consuming and costly procedure for decision support concerning ICE design. In this respect, numerical tools are more adapted, especially when multiple engine architectures need to be assessed. This paper presents a numerical tool for the generation of an ICE fuel consumption map, and illustrates its application by studying the influence of engine downsizing on the fuel consumption of a given hybrid vehicle.
CitationAlix, G., Dabadie, J., and Font, G., "An ICE Map Generation Tool Applied to the Evaluation of the Impact of Downsizing on Hybrid Vehicle Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2385, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2385.
- Akcelik , R. , Smit , R. , Besley , M. Calibrating fuel consumption and emission models for modern vehicles IPENZ Transportation Group Conference Rotorua, New Zealand 2012
- Ahn , K. , Rakha , H. , Trani , A. , Van Aerde , M. Estimating Vehicle Fuel Consumption and Emissions Based on Instantaneous Speed and Acceleration Levels Journal of Transportation Engineering 128 2 182 190 March/April 2002 10.1061
- Markel , T , Brooker , A. , Hendricks , T. , Johnson V. , Kelly K. , Kramer , B. , O'Keefe M. , Sprik , S. , Wipke , K. ADVISOR: a systems analysis tool for advanced vehicle modeling Journal of Power Sources 2002 10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00189-1
- Nam , E.K. and Giannelli , R. Fuel Consumption Modeling of Conventional and Advanced Technology Vehicles in the Physical Emission Rate Estimator (PERE) Draft. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2005
- Ben-Chaim , M. , Shmerling , E. , Kuperman , A. Analytic Modeling of Vehicle Fuel Consumption Energies 6 1 117 127 2013 10.3390/en6010117
- Assanis , D. , Filipi , Z. , Gravante , S. , Grohnke , D. et al. Validation and Use of SIMULINK Integrated, High Fidelity, Engine-In-Vehicle Simulation of the International Class VI Truck SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0288 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0288
- Richard , S. , Font , G. , Le Berr , F. , Grasset , O. et al. On the Use of System Simulation to Explore the Potential of Innovative Combustion Systems: Methodology and Application to Highly Downsized SI Engines Running with Ethanol-Gasoline Blends SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0408 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0408
- Kasseris , E. and Heywood , J. Comparative Analysis of Automotive Powertrain Choices for the Next 25 Years SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1605 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1605
- Giannelli , R. , Nam , E. , Helmer , K. , Younglove , T. et al. Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicle Fuel Consumption Modeling Based on Road Load and Power Train Parameters SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3549 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3549
- Tarsitano , D. , Mazzola , L. , Cheli F. , Mapelli , F. Modeling of the Internal Combustion Engine by Means of Willans Line Approach for the Study of Hybrid Electric Powertrain ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition Volume 12: Transportation Systems 2014 10.1115/IMECE2014-36867
- Kamil , M. , Rahman , M. M. , Bakar , R. A. An Integrated Model for Predicting Engine Friction Losses in Internal Combustion Engines International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering 9 1695 1708 2014 10.15282/ijame.9.2013.19.0141
- Jadhao , J. S. , Thombare , D. G. Review on Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery for I.C. Engine International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology 2 12 93 100 2013
- Chasse , A. , Sciarretta , A. Supervisory control of hybrid powertrains: An experimental benchmark of offline optimization and online energy management Control Engineering Practice 19 1253 1265 2011 10.1016
- Kim , N. , Cha , S. , Peng , H. Optimal Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on Pontryagin's Minimum Principle IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 19 5 1279 1287 Sept. 2011 10.1109/TCST.2010.2061232