This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Fuel Dilution of Crankcase Oil on Ignitability of Oil Particles in a Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The relationship between fuel dilution of the crankcase oil and low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) was studied experimentally with a highly-boosted 1.8L turbocharged gasoline direct injection (TGDI) engine fueled with RON93 gasoline. It was found that properties of oil particles entered the engine cylinder were affected significantly by fuel dilution. The gasoline content in the oil represents those with long carbon chain or heavy species in gasoline, with much lower boiling points and auto ignition temperatures than those for the undiluted engine oil. Thus, dilution of the engine oil by these gasoline species lowers the volatility and the minimum auto ignition temperature of the engine oil. With 15% fuel content in the oil, the flash point and the fire point of the SAE 5W30 oil dropped from 245 °C to 90 °C and from 265 °C to 150 °C, respectively. The initial boiling point for the diluted oil could be lower than the wall temperatures for some locations on the combustion chamber roof or on the cylinder wall above the top piston ring reverse location. Once attached onto these hot areas, the oil particles entering the engine cylinder could form self-ignitable gaseous mixture easily, and become self ignited in late of the compression stroke under high loads, triggering pre-ignition. It was demonstrated that frequency of LSPI is linked strongly to the minimum auto ignition temperature of the oil particles.
- Tingjun Hu - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd.
- Xuwei Luo - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd.
- Chun Lu - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd.
- Jiankun Luo - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd.
- Ho Teng - STA Energy Technologies
- Tingjun Hu - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd
- Xuwei Luo - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd
- Chun Lu - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd
- Jiankun Luo - Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd
CitationHu, T., Teng, H., Luo, X., Lu, C. et al., "Influence of Fuel Dilution of Crankcase Oil on Ignitability of Oil Particles in a Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2811, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2811.
- Haenel , P. , Seyfried , P. , Kleeberg , H. , and Tomazic , D. Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0343
- Luo , X. , Teng , H. , Hu , T. , Miao , R. et al. Mitigating Intensities of Super Knocks Encountered in Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0084 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0084
- Willand , J. , Daniel , M. , Montefrancesco , E. , Geringer , B. et al. Limits on Downsizing in Spark Ignition Engines due to Pre-ignition MTZ 70 56 61 2009
- Kalghatgi , G.T. , and Bradley , D Pre-ignition and ‘Super-knock’ in Turbo-charged Spark-Ignition Engines International Journal of Engine Research 13 4 399 414 2012
- Welling , O. , Moss , J. , Williams , J. , and Collings , N. Measuring the Impact of Engine Oils and Fuels on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Downsized Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 1 1 8 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1219
- Zhao , F.-Q. and Lai , M.-C. Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 437 562 1999
- Basshuysen , R.V. Gasoline Engine with Direct Injection: Processes, Systems, Development, Potential, Vieweg + Teubner 1st 2009
- Dahnz , C. and Spicher , U. Irregular Combustion In Superchargd Spark Ignition Engines - Pre-Ignition and Other Phenomena International Journal of Engine Research 11 485 498 2010 10.1243/14680874JER609
- Zaccardi , J.-M. , Lecompte , M. , Duval , L. and Pagot , A. Pre-ignition in Highly Charged Spark Ignition Engines - Visualisation and Analysis MTZ 70 56 61 2009
- Hu , T. , Teng , H. , Luo , X. , and Chen , B. Impact of Fuel Injection on Dilution of Engine Crankcase Oil for Turbocharged Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1107 1116 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0967
- Luo , X. , Teng , H. , Hu , T. , Miao , R. et al. An Experimental Investigation on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in a Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 520 528 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0758
- Santrock , J. Flammability Properties of Engine Compartment Fluids Other Than Gasoline USDOT Report, NHTSA-1998-3588-199 1998
- Ljuubas , D. , Krpan , H. and Matanovic , I. Influence of Engine Oils Dilution by Fuels on Their Viscosity, Flash Point and Fire Point NAFTA 61 2 73 79 2006
- Ishida , H. and Iwama , A. Some Critical Discussions on Flash and Fire Points of Liquid Fuels Fire Safety Science: Proceedings of the First International Symposium 218 226 1986
- Sagawa , T. , Fujimoto , H. , and Nakamura , K. Study of Fuel Dilution in Direct-Injection and Multipoint Injection Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1647 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1647
- Heiss , M. and Lauer , T. Analysis of Pre-ignition Initiation Mechanisms using a Multi-Cycle CFD-Simulation International Multidimensional Engine Modeling User's Group Meeting 2014 Detroit, US April 7 2014
- Heiss , M. and Lauer , T. Analysis of Particle Separation With Respect to Pre-Igniton in An Si-Engine 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI) Barcelona, Spain July 20 25 2014
- Yilmaz , E. Sources and Characteristics of Oil Consumption in a Spark-ignition Engine MIT PhD thesis 2003
- Günther , M. , Uygun , Y. , Kremer , F. and Pischinger , S. Pre-Ignition and Glow-Ignition of Gasoline Biofuels MTZ 74 46 53 2013
- Takeuchi , K. , Fujimoto , K. , Hirano , S. , and Yamashita , M. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1017 1024 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1615
- Hirano , S. , Yamashita , M. , Fujimoto , K. , and Kato , K. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2) SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2569
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 1988
- Davis , S. , Chavez , D. , and Kytomaa , H. Hot Surface Ignition of Flammable and Combustible Liquids SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1014 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1014