This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Vehicle Height Adjustment Control of Electronically Controlled Air Suspension
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electronically controlled air suspension (ECAS) systems have been widely used in commercial vehicles to improve the ride comfort and handling stability of vehicles, as it can adjust vehicle height according to the driving conditions and the driver's intent. In this paper, the vehicle height adjustment process of ECAS system is studied. A mathematical model of vehicle height adjustment is derived by combining vehicle dynamics theory and thermodynamics theory of variable mass system. Reasons lead to the problems of “over-charging”, “over-discharging” and oscillation during the process of height adjustment are analyzed. In order to solve these problems, a single neuron proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller is proposed to realize the accurate control of vehicle height. By simulation and semi-physical rig test, the effectiveness and performance of the proposed control algorithm are verified.
CitationHuang, T., Chen, G., Zong, C., and Zhou, T., "Research on Vehicle Height Adjustment Control of Electronically Controlled Air Suspension," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2750, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2750.
- Xiao J., Kulakowski B. T., and Cao M., “Active air-suspension design for transit buses,” Int. J. Heavy Veh. Syst., vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 421-440, 2007.
- Burton A. W., Truscott A. J., and Wellstead P. E., “Analysis, modelling and control of an advanced automotive self-levelling suspension system,” IEE Proceedings: Control Theory and Applications, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 129-139, 1995.
- Kim H. and Lee H., “Height and leveling control of automotive air suspension system using sliding mode approach,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 2027-2041, 2011.
- Xu Xing, Chen Zhaozhang, Huang Junming, “Dynamic modeling and characteristic simulation of charging-discharging system for electronically controlled air suspension,” [J]. journal of System Simulation, 2011, 23 (6): 1225-1228.
- Xu X., Chen Z. Z., and Li Z. X., “Investigation on modeling and control of body height adjustment for bus with electrically controlled air suspension,” Automobile Technology, no. 11, pp. 42-46, 2009.
- Feng Y. Y. and Du Q. G., “Investigation on body height adjustment for semi-trailer with electrically controlled air suspension and design of fuzzy/PWM controller,” Science Technology and Engineering, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 7974-7979, 2010.
- Li Mei, LI Zhongxing, SHEN Xufeng, GUO Jiwei. “Study on PID Control for Semi-active Air Suspension for Riding Comfort,”[A]. In 2010 Second WRI Global Congress on Intelligent Systems [C]. Washington D.C. 2010:47-50.
- IGOR Ballo. “Properties of air spring as a force generator in active vibration control systems,” [J]. Vehicle System Dynamic, 2001, 35 (1):67-72.
- Dou Hui, Chen Long, Wang Shaohua. “Research on vehicle height adjustment control of electronically controlled closed loop air Suspension,” [J]. Mechanical design and manufacture 2014, (9):171-174. DOI:10.3969/j.issn.1001-3997.2014.09.051.
- Tang Cuangwu, He Xuefeng, Yan Yongfu. “Mathematical model of road roughness in time domain and its simulation,” [J]. China Journal of highway and transport, 2000, 13 (1): 114-117. DOI:10.3321/j.issn:1001-7372.2000.01.027.
- Zhang Shitao, Yang Feng, Hao Qian. “Research and Simulation of Single Neuron PID Controller,” [J]. Mechanical Engineering & Automation, 2009, (3):69-70. DOI:10.3969/j.issn.1672-6413.2009.03.025.
- WANG Zhenchen, ZHAO Sha, YANG Kang. “Design of Single Neuron PID Controller of Automobile Active Suspension,” [J]. Machinery Design & Manufacture, 2013, (11): 29-32. DOI:10.3969/j.issn.1001-3997.2013.11.009..
- Yang Yutao, Zhang Xiaodong. “Study on Mathematical Modeling and Response Characteristics of High Speed Solenoid Valve,” [J]. Measurement and Control Technology, 2008, 27(6):86-89.