This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Mass Estimation for Heavy Duty Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aiming at estimating the vehicle mass and the position of center of gravity, an on-line two-stage estimator, based on the recursive least square method, is proposed for buses in this paper. Accurate information of the center of gravity position is crucial to vehicle control, especially for buses whose center of gravity position can be varied substantially because of the payload onboard. Considering that the buses start and stop frequently, the first stage of the estimator determines the bus total mass during acceleration, and the second stage utilizes the recursive least-square methods to estimate the position of the center of gravity during braking. The proposed estimator can be validated by the co-simulation with MATLAB/Simulink and TruckSim software, simulation results exhibit good convergence and stability, so the center of gravity position can be estimated through the proposed method in a certain accuracy range.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||THE MEASUREMENT OF HIGHWAY TRUCK AND BUS TIRE ROLLING RESISTANCE|
|Technical Paper||The Transient Directional Response of Full Trailers|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Steady-State Directional Control Test Procedures for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks|
CitationWang, L., Zheng, H., Zong, C., and Chen, Y., "Vehicle Mass Estimation for Heavy Duty Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2742, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2742.
- Mcintyre M L., Ghotikar T J., Vahidi A., et al. “A Two-Stage Lyapunov-Based Estimator for Estimation of Vehicle Mass and Road Grade”. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2009, 58(7):3177-3185.
- Zhang X., Xu L., Li J., et al. “Real-Time Estimation of Vehicle Mass and Road Grade Based on Multi-Sensor Data Fusion”. IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013: 1-7.
- Kim I., Kim H., Bang J., et al. “Development of estimation algorithms for vehicle's mass and road grade”. International Journal of Automotive Technology, 2013, 14(6):889-895.
- Huang X and Wang J. “EKF-Based Vehicle Center of Gravity Position Real-Time Estimation in Longitudinal Maneuvers With Road Course Elevation”. ASME Annual Dynamic Systems & Control Conference Joint with the JSME Motion & Vibration Conference, 2012:665-672.
- Huang X and Wang J. “Real-Time Estimation of Center of Gravity Position for Lightweight Vehicles Using Combined AKF-EKF Method”. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2014, 63(9): 4221-4231.
- Kober W, Hirschberg W. “On-Board Payload Identification for Commercial Vehicles”. IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics, 2006:144-149.