This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Commercial Truck Configuration on Roll Stability in Roundabouts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of a study on the effect of truck configurations on the roll stability of commercial trucks in roundabouts that are commonly used in urban settings with increasing frequency. The special geometric layout of roundabouts can increase the risk of rollover in high-CG vehicles, even at low speeds. Relatively few in-depth studies have been conducted on rollover stability of commercial trucks in roundabouts. This study uses a commercially available software, TruckSim®, to perform simulations on four truck configurations, including a single-unit truck, a WB-67 semi-truck, the combination of a tractor with double 28-ft trailers, and the combination of a tractor with double 40-ft trailers. A single-lane and multilane roundabout are modeled, both with a truck apron. Three travel movements through the roundabouts are considered, including right turn, through-movement, and left turn. Different paths followed by trucks to perform through-movement or left turns are simulated. The simulation results indicate that (1) traveling on a truck apron increases the risk of rollover, (2) different movements and paths result in different dynamic responses, and (3) in general, the single-unit truck has the highest roll stability, followed by the combination of a tractor with double 28-ft trailers, whereas the WB-67 semi-truck and the combination of a tractor with double 40-ft trailers pose a higher risk of rollover than the other two.
CitationHou, Y. and Ahmadian, M., "Effects of Commercial Truck Configuration on Roll Stability in Roundabouts," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2741, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2741.
- Waddell , E. , Gingrich , M. , and Lenters , M. Trucks in Roundabouts: Pitfalls in Design and Operations ITE Journal February 40 45 2009
- Cerezo , V. , and Gothie , M. Heavy Goods Vehicles Accidents on Roundabouts: Parameters of Influence 9th International Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Transport Technology 2006
- AASHTO A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets Fifth American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials Washington, D.C. 2004 1-56051-291-2
- Trucks Mack Mack Pinnacle Axle Back 4x2 series Manufacturer brochure
- C.H.Robinson Worldwide Inc. Trailer Equipment Guide www.chrobinson.com Jan. 2015
- Cambridge Systematics, Inc. Minnesota Truck Size and Weight Project Final Report www.dot.state.mn.us/information/truckstudy Jan. 2015
- Robinson , B. W. , Rodegerdts , L. , Scarborough , W. , Kittelson , W. et al. Roundabouts: An Informational Guide Second Washington, D.C., United States Transportation Research Board 2010 978-0-309-15511-3
- Gertsch , J. , and Eichelhard , O. Simulation of Dynamic Rollover Threshold for Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper, 2003-01-3385 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3385
- Hac , A. , Fulk , D. , and Chen , H. Stability and Control Considerations of Vehicle-Trailer Combination SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 925 937 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1228
- Milliken , P. , and de Pont , J. The effect of cross-sectional geometry on heavy vehicle performance and safety Wellington, New Zealand Transfund New Zealand 2005 0-478-25374-5
- García , L. O. , Innes , J. D. and Wilson , F. R. Heavy Truck Dynamic Rollover: Effect of Load Distribution, Cargo Type, and Road Design Characteristics Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1851 1 25 31 2003 10.3141/1851-03
- Fancher , P. S. A Factbook of the Mechanical Properties of the Components for Single-Unit and Articulated Heavy Trucks. Phase I. Final Report The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 1986
- Dahlberg , E. , and Stensson , A. The Dynamic Rollover Threshold-a Heavy Truck Sensitivity Study International journal of vehicle design 40 1 228 250 2006 10.1504/IJVD.2006.008463
- Winkler , C. B. , and Ervin , R. D. Rollover of Heavy Commercial Vehicles, UMTRI-99-19 The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 1999
- Wideberg , J. P. Simplified Method for Evaluation of the Lateral Dynamic Behaviour of a Heavy Vehicle International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 11 2 195 207 2004 10.1504/IJHVS.2004.004039