This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control of Pressure Build-up inside a Power Steering Gear through Active Flow Control without Throttling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today's hydraulic steering systems suffer from poor efficiency due to their use of throttling valves to build pressure inside the steering gear. In this work, we propose a novel way to build and control pressure by controlling the flow from the pump and without throttling. As a result, such a system will be more energy efficient. Moreover, the ability to control pressure inside a steering gear, and thus assistance torque, allows the steering system to become an active closed-loop system rather than a passive open-loop system. Specifically, by controlling pressure, one can closely control the hand wheel torque the operator feels. Consequently, the new pressure control concept has the potential to not only significantly improve the efficiency of steering systems, but also offers the numerous benefits of torque overlay without the use of an electric motor. Such benefits include the possibility of doing closed-loop hand wheel torque control, autonomous steering, lane keeping assistance, stability control with steering, etc.
|Technical Paper||Development of KUBOTA Lawn & Garden Tractors Manufactured in the USA|
|Technical Paper||Design Method of Small-Ripple Vane Pump|
CitationNhila, A. and Williams, D., "Control of Pressure Build-up inside a Power Steering Gear through Active Flow Control without Throttling," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2725, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2725.
- Williams , D. E. Synthetic Torque Feedback to Improve Heavy Vehicle Drivability Proc. IMechE Vol.223 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering P1517 1527
- Durstine , J. The Truck Steering System From Hand Wheel to Road Wheel SAE Technical Paper 730039 1973 10.4271/730039
- Williams , D. E Method of Controlling A vehicle Steering Apparatus US Patent No. 6,546,322 B2 April 8th 2003
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. Pump Controlled Steer-by-Wire System SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2349 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2349
- Sastry S. and Bodson M. Adaptive Control: Stability, Convergence and Robustness Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632, USA Prentice Hall, Inc. 1989
- Goodwin G. C. and Mayne D. Q. A parameter estimation perspective of continous time model reference adaptive control Automatica 23 1 57 70 1989
- Yao B. , Bu F. , Chiu G. T.C. Nonlinear Adaptive Robust Control of Electro-Hydraulic Servo Systems with Discontinuous Projections 37 th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2265 2270 1998
- Yao B. High Performance Adaptive Robust Control of Nonlinear Systems: A General Framework and New Schemes 36 th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2489 2494 1997