This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Total Quality Assurance of Aerospace Components Applying Process Capability Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerospace industry is continually becoming more competitive. With an aircraft's large number of components, and the large supplier base used to fabricate these components, it can be a daunting task to manage the quality status of all parts in an accurate, timely and actionable manner.
This paper focuses on a proof of concept for an aircraft fuselage assembly to monitor the process capability of machined parts at an aircraft original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and their supply chain. Through the use of standardized measurement plans and statistical analysis of the measured output, the paper will illustrate how stakeholders can understand the process performance details at a workcell level, as well as overall line and plant performance in real time.
This ideal process begins in the product engineering phase using simulation to analyze the tolerance specifications and assembly process strategy, with one of the outputs being a production measurement plan. This establishes clear guidelines for consistency in the inspection process. The measured data generated during the inspections is aggregated, analyzed and reported as a process capability index. This index is monitored in real time to track quality status across the organization. Issues are identified, reported and resolved using root cause drill downs to find the source within seconds or minutes of the measurements being made.
By showing production variation based on data, aircraft manufacturers are creating actionable reporting and quality tracking for process capability at their production sites, on a continuous and nearly instantaneous basis.
|Technical Paper||Manufacturing Phases of Metal-Aircraft Construction|
|Aerospace Standard||Function-Based API for Gas Turbine Engine Performance Programs|
|Aerospace Standard||ADAPTER, AIRCRAFT, JACKING POINT, DESIGN AND INSTALLATION OF|
CitationJasurda, D., "Total Quality Assurance of Aerospace Components Applying Process Capability Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2615, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2615.
- Rajiv, Banker, Potter Gordon, and Schroeder Roger. “Manufacturing Performance Reporting for Continuous Quality Improvement.” Special Issue: Strategic Quality Management, January 2, 1993.
- Bryan Jones,, “Identifying Real Cost Saving in Lean Manufacturing” (2013). Aviation Technology Graduate Student Publications. Paper 30. http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/atgrads/30
- Ray Conner,. ‘Boeing Commercial Airplanes’. 2014. Presentation.
- Clark, Timothy J. Success Through Quality. Milwaukee, Wis.: ASQ Quality Press, 1999. Print.
- Cdgnow.com,. ‘CATIA ENOVIA And DELMIA | C D G’. N.p., 2015. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.
- 3dcs.com,. ‘Tolerance Analysis’. N.p., 2015. Web. 16 Jan. 2015.
- Varatech.com,. ‘Sigmund Stand-Alone Tolerance Stackup Analysis Solutions- Tolerance Analysis’. N.p., 2015. Web. 8 Jan. 2015.
- Sigmetrix.com,. ‘What Is Tolerance Analysis?’. N.p., 2015. Web. 8 Jan. 2015.
- Harrington, H. James (1987), Poor-Quality Cost, American Society for Quality, ISBN 978-0-8247-7743-2, OCLC 14965331
- ‘Employing Activity Based Costing And Management Practices Within The Aerospace Industry: Sustaining The Drive For Lean’. (2015): n. pag. Web. 4 Jan. 2015.
- Shi, Jianjun. Stream Of Variation Modeling And Analysis For Multistage Manufacturing Processes. 1st ed. CRC Press, 2006, 2015. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.
- 3ds.com,. ‘CATIA - PLM Solutions - V5 - Dassault Systèmes’. N.p., 2015. Web. 26 Jan. 2015.
- Palisade.com,. ‘Monte Carlo Simulation: What Is It And How Does It Work? - Palisade’. N.p., 2015. Web. 31 Jan. 2015.
- Schiffauerova, A. and Thomson, V., “Managing cost of quality: Insight into industry practice”, The TQM Magazine, 2006
- Kamatala, M., Gandhi, A., “Dimensional Tolerance Analysis for Design and Manufacturing Engineers” Catia Solutions Magazine, p.28, 30-31, Nov,-Dec., 2000.