This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determining Remaining Useful Life for Li-ion Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A high fidelity system for estimating the remaining useful life (RUL) for Li-ion batteries for aerospace applications is presented. The system employs particle filtering coupled with outlier detection to predict RUL. Calculations of RUL are based on autonomous measurements of the battery state-of-health by onboard electronics. Predictions for RUL are fed into a maintenance advisor which allows operators to more effectively plan battery removal. The RUL algorithm has been exercised under stressful conditions to assert robustness.
CitationDickerson, A., Rajamani, R., Boost, M., and Jackson, J., "Determining Remaining Useful Life for Li-ion Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2584, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2584.
- Economist. “In search of the perfect battery.” The Encyclopedia of Battery and Energy Technologies (Woodbank Communications) 386 (2008).
- Boost, M., “Securaplane Rechargeable Lithium Battery Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2216, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2216.
- Boost, M., “Rechargeable Lithium White Paper 1.0,” Available on the securaplane.com website.
- Boost, M., Hamblin, K., Jackson, J., Korenblit, Y., Rajamani, R., Stevens, T., & Stewart, J, “Practical PHM for Medium to Large Aerospace Grade Li-Ion Battery Systems,” Proc. European Conf. of the PHM Society 2014: Nantes, France, July 2014.
- Arulampalam, M. S., Maskell, S., Gordon, N. &. “A tutorial on particle filters for online nonlinear/non-gaussian Bayesian tracking.” Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2002: 50, 174-188.
- Saha, B., Goebel, K., Poll, S. & Christophersen, J. “Prognostics methods for battery health monitoring using a Bayesian framework.” Instrumentation and Measurement, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2009: 58:2, 291-296.
- Saha, B., Quach, C. C., & Goebel, K. F. “Exploring the model design space for battery health management.” Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society. 2011.
- Saxena, A., Celaya, J. R., Roychoudhury, I., Saha, S., Saha, B., & Goebel, K. “Designing data-driven battery prognostic approaches for variable loading profiles: Some lessons learned.” European Conference of Prognostics and Health Management Society, 2012.
- An, D., Choi, J.-H., & Kim, N. H. “A tutorial for model-based prognostics algorithms based on MATLAB code.” Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, 2012