This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multifunctional Unmanned Reconnaissance Aircraft for Low-Speed and STOL Operations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a novel UAS (Unmanned Aerial System) designed for excellent low speed operations and VTOL performance. This aerial vehicle concept has been designed for maximizing the advantages by of the ACHEON (Aerial Coanda High Efficiency Orienting-jet Nozzle) propulsion system, which has been studied in a European commission under 7th framework programme.
This UAS concept has been named MURALS (acronym of Multifunctional Unmanned Reconnaissance Aircraft for Low-speed and STOL operation). It has been studied as a joint activity of the members of the project as an evolution of a former concept, which has been developed during 80s and 90s by Aeritalia and Capuani. It has been adapted to host an ACHEON based propulsion system. In a first embodiment, the aircraft according to the invention has a not conventional shape with a single fuselage and its primary objective is to minimize the variation of the pitching moment allowing low speed operations. The shape with convex wings has been specifically defined to allow a future possibility of enabling stealth operations.
Main objective of the design activity has been focused on low speed flight, very short take off and landing, and a control possibility by mean of two mobile surfaces in the front canard, which allow changing the pitch angle, and allows an almost complete plane control in combination with an ACHEON variable angle of thrust propulsion system. The design considers has been specifically to allow flying at a speed which is lower than 12 m/s with an high angle of attach (over 7°), without losses in terms of manoeuvrability and agility. These features allow innovative uses such as road monitoring, and police support and are characterized by a breakthrough performance level.
A complete optimal sizing of the aircraft has been performed, together with an effective performance analysis, which allows identifying the strong points and the potential problems of the project. An effective energy analysis has been performed also. An effective prototyping is expected in about one year.
- Michele Trancossi - Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia
- Chris Bingham - University of Lincoln
- Alfredo Capuani - Nimbus SRL
- Shyam Das - Universidade Da Beira Interior
- Antonio Dumas - Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia
- Francesco Grimaccia - Nimbus SRL
- Mauro Madonia - Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia
- Jose Pascoa - Universidade Da Beira Interior
- Tim Smith - University of Lincoln
- Paul Stewart - University of Hull
- Maharshi Subhash - Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia
- Anna Sunol - Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Dean Vucinic - Vrije Universiteit Brussel
CitationTrancossi, M., Bingham, C., Capuani, A., Das, S. et al., "Multifunctional Unmanned Reconnaissance Aircraft for Low-Speed and STOL Operations," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2465, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2465.
- European Commission, ACHEON - Aerial Coanda High Efficiency Orienting-jet Nozzle, Project reference : 309041, Funded under : FP7-TRANSPORT, http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/103805_en.html.
- Baffigi F., Dumas A., Giuliani I., Madonia M., and Trancossi M., “Ugello capace di deviare in modo dinamico e controllabile un getto sintetico senza parti meccaniche in movimento e relativo sistema di controllo”, Patent IT 0001406404, Deposito RE2011A000049, Filling date July 01, 2011, Publication date September 30, 2011, approved on February 21, 2014.
- Baffigi F., Dumas A., Giuliani I., Madonia M., and Trancossi M., (2014), “Nozzle capable of deviating a synthetic jet in a dynamic and controllable manner with no moving mechanical parts and a control system thereof”, PTC Patent WO2013005132 A1, Publication date Jan 10, 2013, Filing date Jun 25, 2012, Priority date Jul 1, 2011, Published also as EP2726213A1, US20140191059.
- Páscoa, J.C., Brójo F. M. P., and Monteiro J. M. M., “Numerical Simulation of Magneto-plasma Thrusters for Aerospace Propulsion Using and MHD Formulation”, Paper O-7.2, Proc. 14th International Conference on Emerging Nuclear Energy Systems, Instituto Tecnológico e Nuclear, 6 pgs, 2009.
- Xisto, C, Páscoa, J, and Oliveira, P, “Modelling plasma flow on a self-field MPD thruster using a PISO based method”, 44th AIAA Plasmadynamics and Lasers Conference, San Diego, USA, (2013).
- Trancossi, M., “An Overview of Scientific and Technical Literature on Coanda Effect Applied to Nozzles,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2591, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2591.
- Trancossi, M. and Dumas, A., “Coanda Synthetic Jet Deflection Apparatus and Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2590, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2590.
- Trancossi, M. and Dumas, A., “A.C.H.E.O.N.: Aerial Coanda High Efficiency Orienting-jet Nozzle,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2737, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2737.
- Dumas, A., Pascoa, J., Trancossi, M., Tacchini, A., Ilieva, G., and Madonia, M., “Acheon project: A novel vectoring jet concept”, Proc. ASME. 45172; Volume 1: Advances in Aerospace Technology: 499-508, IMECE2012-87638, 2012.
- Trancossi, M., Dumas, A., and Vucinic, D., “Mathematical Modeling of Coanda Effect,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2195, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2195.
- Drăgan V.,: A New Mathematical Model for Coandă Effect Velocity Approximation. INCAS Bulletin, vol.4, pp.85-92, 2012.
- Subhash, M. and Dumas, A., “Computational Study of Coanda Adhesion Over Curved Surface,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 6(1):260-272, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2302.
- Dumas, A., Subhash, M., Trancossi, M., and Marques, J.P., “The influence of surface temperature on Coanda effect”, Energy Procedia Vol. 45, pp. 626-634, 2014.
- Trancossi, M, Subhash M., Angeli D. Mathematical modelling of a two streams Coanda effect nozzle. ASME Int. Mech. Engg. Conf. and Exhibition, paper no. IMECE2013-63459; 2013.
- Trancossi, M., Dumas, A., Das, S. S., and Páscoa, J. C., “Design Methods of Coanda nozzle with two streams”, INCAS Bulletin, Volume 6 (1), Pages 83-95, ISSN 2066-8201, doi:10.13111/2066-8201.2014.6.1.8, 2014
- Das, S.S., Abdollahzadeh, M., Pascoa, J. C., Dumas, A., and Trancossi, M., “Numerical modelling of Coanda effect in a novel propulsive system”, Int. Jnl. of Multiphysics, Volume 8 · Number 2, pp. 181-201, 2014.
- Xisto, C, Páscoa, J, and Oliveira, P, “Modelling plasma flow on a self-field MPD thruster using a PISO based method”, 44th AIAA Plasmadynamics and Lasers Conference, San Diego, USA, 2013.
- Abdollahzadeh M., and Pascoa J., Modified Split-Potential Model for Modelling the Effect of DBD Plasma Actuators in High Altitude Flow, Control Current Applied Physics, 2014.
- Abdollahzadeh, M., Páscoa J.C., and Oliveira P.J., “Two-dimensional numerical modelling of interaction of micro-shock wave generated by nanosecond plasma actuators and transonic flow”, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Volume 270, pp. 401-416, 2014.
- Trancossi, M. and Madonia, M., “The Efficiency of an Electric Turbofan vs. Inlet Area: A Simple Mathematical Model and CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2217, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-2217.
- Trancossi, M. and Pascoa, J., “Thermojet: An Old Idea Can Define a Novel Family of Jets,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2205, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2205.
- Trancossi, M., Dumas, A., Stewart, P., and Vucinic, D., “Increasing Aeronautic Electric Propulsion Performances by Cogeneration and Heat Recovery,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2106, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2106.
- Dumas, A., Niccolai, G., Trancossi M., and Vucinic, D., “Aeromobile con prestazioni incrementate mediantesistema di propulsione cogenerativo”, IT Patent request n. RE2014A000022, 2014.
- Angeli, D., Di Furia, A., Dumas, A., Subhash, M., Trancossi, M., “Sistema di deviazione dinamica e controllabile di un getto”, IT Patent request n. RE2014A000021, 2014.
- Pascoa, J. C., Dumas, A., Trancossi, M., Stewart, P., and Vucinic, D., “A review of thrust-vectoring in support of a V/STOL non-moving mechanical propulsion system” Cent. Eur. J. Eng., 3(3), pp. 374-388, (2013).
- Suñol, A. and Vucinic D., (2014) “Numerical analysis and UAV application of the ACHEON vectorial thrust nozzle”, 32nd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference. June 2014. doi:10.2514/6.2014-2046.
- Capuani, A., “Aircraft with jet propulsion”, EU Patent EP19820830254, Publication date December 3, 1986, also published as DE78245T1, DE3274535D1, EP0078245A1, US4478378.
- Capuani, A., “Improvements in jet-propelled aircraft”, EU Patent Application EP0356601 A1, Publication date March 7, 1990.
- Capuani, A., “Jet-propelled aircraft”, US Patent US4969614 A, Publication date, November 13, 1990.
- Cen Z., Smith T., Stewart P., and Stewart, J, “Integrated flight/thrust vectoring control for jet-powered unmanned aerial vehicles with ACHEON propulsion”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering 0954410014544179, first published on July 29, 2014, doi:10.1177/0954410014544179.
- Trancossi, M., Dumas, A., Angeli, D., Bingham, C., Das, S. S., Grimaccia, F., Madonia, M., Pascoa Marques, J., Porreca, E., Smith, T., Stewart, P. Subhash M., Sunol, A. Vucinic, D., “A new aircraft architecture based on ACHEON Coanda effect nozzle”, Central European Journal of Engineering, Under review.
- VV.AA., “Electricfly Hyperflow User Manual”, Hobby Services, Champaign IL 61822, USA, 2007. http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmg3910-3911-manual-v1_1.pdf.
- Technical datasheet - Product Deprom White, depronfoam.com - source data provided by Depron® international distributor, 2014, http://www.depronfoam.com/depron-foam/resource/Depron-White-Technical-Data-Sheet.pdf
- VV.AA., “Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) and Other Specialist Styrenics”, Plastipedia, 2014. http://www.bpf.co.uk/Plastipedia/Polymers/ABS_and_Other_Specialist_Styrenics.aspx.
- VV. AA., “Technical Note - Depron White”, DepronFoam.com, 2014. http://www.depronfoam.com/depron-foam/resource/Depron-White-Technical-Data-Sheet.pdf
- Roskam, J., (2000), “Airplane Design, Part VI: Preliminary Calculation of Aerodynamic, Thrust and Power Characteristics,” 2nd ed., DARcoporation Lawrence.
- Capuani, A., “NIMBUS Technical Note - Application of the ACHEON concept as propulsion system for applications in the Light UAS segment”, 27-06-2013.
- Marzocca, P., “NACA airfoil series”, Clarkson University, Retrieved Nov. 2014.
- Abbott, I., “Theory of Wing Sections: Including a Summary of Airfoil Data”, Dover Publications, New York, 1959.
- Demasi, L., Dipace, A., Monegato and Cavallaro, R. G., An Invariant Formulation for the Minimum Induced Drag Conditions of Non-planar Wing Systems, AIAA Journal, Vol. 52, No. 10, pp. 2223-2240, 2014. doi:10.2514/1.J052837.