This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Architecture and Parameter Optimization for Aircraft Electro-Hydraulic Power Generation and Distribution Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The All-Electric-Engine with only electrical power offtake is a main goal in aircraft system development. The use of electric-motor pumps instead of engine-driven pumps for powering the central hydraulic systems could be a part of this objective. Additionally, the concept would meet the incremental development strategy performed by the aerospace industry today and saves costs by using state-of-the-art hydraulic actuation technology. This paper describes a process for optimizing such systems regarding their architecture and design parameters. For this task a methodology for the hydraulic consumer allocation called OPAL is used and extended by an automatic power system sizing. Feasible allocations, called permutations, are determined on the basis of preliminary system safety assessments regarding multiple top failure events. In the next step an automated sizing of the permutations is performed based on simplified hydraulic load analyses. This enables a comparison of a large number of architectures in a very short time to optimize the electro-hydraulic system architecture. In the next part of the process a more detailed sizing of the electro-hydraulic system is performed for selected example architectures. Here a steady-state sizing of the power system is carried out with the Hamburg University of Technology tool ArOLab. The pipe network sizing is automated by using an optimization that finds a design that meets the performance requirements with a minimum of mass. The function is used to do a rapid evaluation of different design variables that influence the later system performance. The whole process is demonstrated by a test case study in which electro-hydraulic architectures are optimized for a mid-range aircraft.
CitationDunker, C., Bornholdt, R., Thielecke, F., and Behr, R., "Architecture and Parameter Optimization for Aircraft Electro-Hydraulic Power Generation and Distribution Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2414, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2414.
- Rosero, J.A., Ortega, J.A., Aldabas, E., Romeral, L., “Moving towards a more electric aircraft,” Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE, vol.22, no.3, pp.3,9, March 2007 doi:10.1109/MAES.2007.340500
- Bennett J.-W., “Fault Tolerant Electromechanical Actuators for Aircraft,”, PhD Thesis, Newcastle University, 2010-11
- Gilson, E., Kopp, J.D., Manzanares, D., ȜMoog Next Generation Control and Actuation,” Recent Advances in Aerospace Actuation Systems and Components (R3ASC'14), Toulouse, 2014-04-02
- Fervel, M., Andrieu, L., Todeschi, M. and Roizes, J., “More Electrical Aircract Control,” Recent Advances in Aerospace Actuation Systems and Components (R3ASC'14), Toulouse, 2014-04-02
- Naubert, A., Christmann, M., Jänker, P., Binz, H., “Anti-Jamming Pyromechanism for Electromechanical Actuators,”, Workshop on Aircraft System Technologies (AST) 2013, Hamburg, Germany, 2013-04
- Bildstein, M., “A Built-In Testable Jam Release Device for Electromechanical Actuators in Flight Control Application,” Recent Advances in Aerospace Actuation Systems and Components (R3ASC'14), Toulouse, 2014-04-02
- Sinnett, M., “787 No-Bleed Systems: Saving Fuel and Enhancing Operational Efficiencies,”, Boeing Aero Magazin QTR04, 2007
- Aircraft Technology (publisher), “Liquid Power,” Aircraft Technology - Engineering and Maintenance.122:34-39, 2013
- Scholz, D., “Computer Aided Engineering for the Design of Flight Control and Hydraulic Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 961327, 1996, doi:10.4271/961327.
- Dunker C., Thielecke F. and Homann T., “New Computer-Aided Methods for Preliminary Architecting and Sizing of Aircraft Hydraulic Systems,” Deutscher Luft- und Raumfahrtkongress, Bremen, Germany, 2011-09
- SAE International Aerospace Recommended Practice, “Aerospace - Design and Installation of Commercial Transport Aircraft Hydraulic Systems,” SAE Standard ARP4752A, Rev. July 2007.
- SAE International Aerospace Standard, “Hydraulic Systems, Aircraft, Design and Installation Requirements For,” SAE Standard AS5440, Issued April 1998.
- Frischemeier, S., “Aircraft Hydraulic Systems Design and Evaluation - A Top-Down Approach,” Ninth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP'05, Linköping, Sweden, 2005-06
- SAE International Aerospace Recommended Practice, “Guidelines and Methods for Conducting the Safety Assessment Process on Civil Airborne Systems and Equipment,” SAE Standard ARP4761, Issued Dec. 1996.
- SAE International Aerospace Recommended Practice, “Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems,” SAE Standard ARP4754A, Rev. Dec. 2010.
- Bornholdt, R. and Thielecke, F., “Optimization of the Power Allocation for Flight Control Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2188, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2188.
- Merkel, M. (publisher), “Cosyra - Complex System Reliability Analysis, URL: http://www.cosyra.de,
- Vahl, A., “Interaktive Zuverlässigkeitsanalyse von Flugzeug-Systemarchitekturen,” Fortschr.-Ber. VDI Reihe 10 No. 565, Düsseldorf: VDI Verlag, ISBN 3-18-356510-2, 1998
- Eaton-Vickers (publisher), “A Descriptive Summary of Vickers Inline Pumps and their Applications,”, 2012
- Parker-Aerospace (publisher), “Engine-Driven Pumps Catalogue,”, 2009
- Budinger M., Liscouet, J. and Maré, J-C., “Estimation models for the preliminary design of electromechanical actuators,”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2011-10
- FAA (publisher), “Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook - Airframe - FAA-H-8083-31,” Volume I, Chapter-09 Aircraft Electrical System, 2012
- DeMaglie, R., Osvald, G. et al., “Development of a mid-power core (35kW) dedicated to inverters for aerospace applications,” Integrated Power Electronics Systems (CIPS), 2010-03
- Liebig, S., Engler, A. and Lutz, J., “Design and evaluation of state of the art rectifiers dedicated for a 46kW E-ECS aerospace application with respect to power density and reliability,” Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2011), 2011
- Schroeter, T., Nya, B.H., Schulz, D., “Potential analysis for the optimization of the electrical network of large modern civil and future single aisle aircraft and examples of the network capacity utilisation,” Electrical Systems for Aircraft, Railway and Ship Propulsion (ESARS), 2010, vol., no., pp.1,7, 19-21 Oct. 2010 doi:10.1109/ESARS.2010.5665238
- Dunker C., Thielecke F. and Homann T., “Optimal Sizing of Pipe Networks in Aircraft Hydraulic System Preliminary Design,” Bath/ASME Symposium on Fluid Power & Motion Control (FPMC), Bath, UK, 2012
- Kronfeld M., Planatscher H. and Zell A., “The EvA2 Optimization Framework,”, Learning and Intelligent Optimization Conference, Venice, Italy, 2010
- Behr R.M. and Baumbach V., “Aircraft Hydraulic Thermal Control,” Workshop on Aircraft System technologies (AST) 2013, Hamburg, Germany, 2013-10
- Callenaere M. and Sauterey G., “Fluid velocity limits in hydraulic systems: Detrimental effects on distribution systems,” Recent Advances in Aerospace Actuation Systems and Components (R3ASC), Toulouse, France, 2004
- Dunker C., Thielecke F. and Homann T., “Analysis of Minimum Delta Pressure Specifications Between Actuators and Hydraulic Power Generation and their Effect on Overall System Sizing,” Recent Advances in Aerospace Actuation Systems and Components (R3ASC'14), Toulouse, France, 2014-04-02