This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibro-Acoustic Properties of a Very Long Flax Fibers Reinforced Thermoset “Flaxpreg” Light Sandwich
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Flaxpreg is a green and light very long flax fibers thermoset reinforced sandwich, which can be effectively used as multi-position trunk loadfloor or structural floor in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. The prepreg FlaxTapes of about 120 g/m2 constituting the skins of the sandwich, are unidirectionally aligned flax fibers tapes, with acrylic resin here, easily manipulable without requiring any spinning or weaving step and thus without any negative out of plane crimping of the almost continuous flax fibers.
Thanks to their very low 1.45 kg/dm3 density combined with an adaptive 0°/90°/0° orientation of the FlaxTapes (for each skin) depending on the loading boundary conditions, the resulting excellent mechanical properties allow a - 35% weight reduction compared to petro-sourced Glass mat/PUR sandwich solutions (like the Baypreg). The vibro-acoustic damping properties of these FlaxTape skins are remarkable with an almost 2 % Damping Loss Factor, whereas glass/resin or carbon/resin composites lie at around 0.15%.
This study presents a comprehensive measurement and simulation correlation campaign of the vibro-acoustic properties of the Flaxpreg sandwich, namely its Damping Loss Factor and its airborne Transmission Loss with and without necessary noise treatments to ensure a good NVH comfort. Various simulation methods from the simplest models to the most complex ones will be compared to one another and to measurements: namely analytical sandwich models implemented in SEA softwares, Transfer Matrix Methods sandwich formulations as well as Finite Element/Boundary Element detailed or homogenized models including poroelastic materials…
|Technical Paper||Composite Covers for Noise Attenuation|
|Technical Paper||A Comparison of Fiber Wheel Liners on Two Different Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Expandable Epoxy Foam: A Systematic Approach to Improve Vehicle Performance|
CitationDuval, A., Marcel, V., Dejaeger, L., Lhuillier, F. et al., "Vibro-Acoustic Properties of a Very Long Flax Fibers Reinforced Thermoset “Flaxpreg” Light Sandwich," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2345, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2345.
- CELC Flax and hemp fibers: a natural solution for the composite industry JEC Composites 1 st Paris 2012
- Decorme , J. , Duval , A. , Vanfletren , E. , Vanfletren F. Amethod for producing a continuous web of fibers comprising long natural fibers, and associated apparatus and web Patent FR2982283(A1) 2011
- Khalfallah , M. , Marcel , V. , Duval , A. , Abbes , B. et al Flax/Acrodur® sandwich panel: an innovative eco-material for automotive applications JEC Composite Mag. 89 2014
- Zenkert , D. An Introduction to Sandwich Construction Department of Lightweight Structures, Royal Institute of Technology 1993
- ISO 527-4 Test conditions for isotropic and orthotropic fibre-reinforced plastic composites International Organization for Standardization 1997
- Gay , D. Matériaux composites 4 th Hermès Paris 1997
- Khalfallah , M. , Abbes , B. , Abbes , F. , Guo , Y-Q. et al Innovative flax tapes reinforced Acrodur biocomposites: a new alternative for automotive applications Material and Design 64 116 126 2014
- Aramis - User Manual Software 6.1 GOM mbH 2009
- Baley C Analysis of the flax fibres tensile behaviour and analysis of the tensile stiffness increase Composites: Part A 939 948 2002
- Cherif , ZE. , Poilâne , C. , Momayez , L. and Chen , J. Flax/epoxy prepreg: effect of processing parameters on mechanical properties Matér Tech 100 459 66 2012
- Ross , D. , Ungar , E. E. , and Kerwin , E. M. Damping of plate flexural vibrations by means of viscoelastic laminae Structural Damping 49 87 1959
- Li , Y.M. , Hoang , M.P. , Abbès , B. , Abbès , F. , Guo , Y.Q. Analytical homogenization for stretch and bending of honeycomb sandwich plates with skin and height effects Composite Structures 120 406 416 2015
- Atalla , N. et al NOVA 2012 User Guide Mechanum/ESI, University of Sherbrooke Canada 2012
- Duval , A. , Rondeau , J. , Dejaeger , L. , Lhuillier , F. et al. Generalized Light-Weight Concepts: A New Insulator 3D Optimization Procedure SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1947 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1947
- Borello , G. SEA+ User Guide InterAC/LMS Toulouse, France 2014
- Anciant , M. , Bouattoura , D. and Mebarek , L. Rayon -VTM 2007 for I-deas 11 NX User Manual (TL module) ESI Group Compiègne, France 2007