This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Headliner Absorption Parameter Prediction and Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The headliner system in a vehicle is an important element in vehicle noise control. In order to predict the performance of the headliner, it is necessary to develop an understanding of the substrate performance, the effect of air gaps, and the contribution from any acoustic pads in the system. Current Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) models for predicting absorption performance of acoustic absorbers are based on material Biot properties. However, the resources for material Biot property testing are limited and cost is high. In this paper, modeling parameters for the headliner substrate are identified from a set of standard absorption measurements on substrates, using curve fitting and optimization techniques. The parameters are then used together with thickness/design information in a SEA model to predict the vehicle headliner system absorption performance.
|Technical Paper||Enhanced Acoustic Performance using Key Design Parameters of Headliners|
|Technical Paper||Density Optimization of Underhood Sound Absorber Applications|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Sound Absorbers Using Resistive Facings|
CitationTao, K., Parrett, A., and Nielubowicz, D., "Headliner Absorption Parameter Prediction and Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2303, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2303.
- Lyon R.H. and DeJong R.G. Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis Second Butterworth-Heineman 1995
- DeJong , R. A Study of Vehicle Interior Noise Using Statistical Energy Analysis SAE Technical Paper 850960 1985 10.4271/850960
- Parrett , A. , Hicks , J. , Burton , T. , and Hermans , L. Statistical Energy Analysis of Airborne and Structure-Borne Automobile Interior Noise SAE Technical Paper 971970 1997 10.4271/971970
- Biot M. Generalized theory of acoustic propagation in porous dissipative media J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 34 168 178 1962
- ASTM C423-09a Standard Test Method for Sound Absorption and Sound Absorption. Coefficients by the Reverberation Room Method”
- VAOne Foam Module manual ESI Corporation
- Zhang , Q. , Parrett , A. , and Zopp , A. Lightweight Acoustic System Performance Target Setting Process SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 2 1342 1346 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1982