This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Power Plant Model of Fuel Consumption and Vibration for Vehicle Concept Planning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is important for vehicle concept planning to estimate fuel economy and the influence of vehicle vibration in advance. This can be accomplished using virtual engine specifications and a virtual vehicle frame. In this paper, I will show the power plant model with electric starter and battery that can predict fuel economy, combustion heat results and transient torque. The power plant is a 1.3L 4cyl designed for NA Spark Ignition. The power plant model was realized using an energy based model using VHDL-AMS. Here, VHDL-AMS is modeling language stored in IEC international standard (IEC61691-6) and can realize multi physics in 1D simulation. The modeling language supports electrical, magnetic, thermal, mechanical, fluidic and compressive fluidic domains. The model was created in house using VHDL-AMS and validated on ANSYS SIMPLORER. The simulated results of fuel energy consumption agreed with driving energy and amount of energy losses, e.g. cooling loss, exhaust loss. The simulation results of fuel efficiency and cooling loss power agreed with validated engine data in a wide operating range. The model has possibility of analysis extended from static to dynamic transient operation such as influence of vehicle vibration caused by torque fluctuation.
CitationTsuji, K. and Yamamoto, K., "Power Plant Model of Fuel Consumption and Vibration for Vehicle Concept Planning," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2253, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2253.
- Lindstrom Fredrik Empirical Combustion Modeling in SI Engines Licentiate thesis Department of Machine Design Royal Institute of Technology
- Chan Siew Hwa , Zhu J. Modelling of engine in-cylinder the thermodynamics under high values of ignition retard Int. J. Therm. Sci. 2001 40 94 103
- Lindström , F. , Ångström , H. , Kalghatgi , G. , and Möller , C. An Empirical SI Combustion Model Using Laminar Burning Velocity Correlations SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2106 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2106
- Haq Md. Zahurul Combustion in SI Engines http://teacher.buet.ac.bd/zahurul/ME401/ME401_combustion_SI.pdf
- Japan Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Demonstration Project HP. Setup method of the fuel constant http://www.jari.or.jp/Portals/0/jhfc/data/report/2005/pdf/result_ref_1.pdf
- Ohta Yasuhiko Web-oriented Transcript on IC Engine http://www.geocities.jp/bequemereise/oriented_text.html
- Ishikawa Yoshikazu Key Point of Gasoline Engine Design Sankaido publish corporation
- Mendera Krzysztof Z. THERMODYNAMIC ANALYSIS OFSPARK IGNITION ENGINE PRESSUR DATA Journal of KONES Internal Combustion Engines 2004 11 3-4
- komoriya Susumu Section 47 Combustion gas pressure and temperature http://homepage3.nifty.com/skomo/f27/hp27_47.htm
- Lejesek David , Andre K. , Jurgen H. A novel transient wall heat transfer approach for the start-up of SI engines with gasoline direct injection Heat Mass Transfer 2010 64 10 1053 1067