This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Initial Results from Radiometer and Polarimetric Radar-based Icing Algorithms Compared to In-situ Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In early 2015, a field campaign was conducted at the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. The purpose of the campaign is to test several prototype algorithms meant to detect the location and severity of in-flight icing (or icing aloft, as opposed to ground icing) within the terminal airspace. Terminal airspace for this project is currently defined as within 25 kilometers horizontal distance of the terminal, which in this instance is Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland.
Two new and improved algorithms that utilize ground-based remote sensing instrumentation have been developed and were operated during the field campaign. The first is the ‘NASA Icing Remote Sensing System’, or NIRSS. The second algorithm is the ‘Radar Icing Algorithm’, or RadIA. In addition to these algorithms, which were derived from ground-based remote sensors, in-situ icing measurements of the profiles of supercooled liquid water (SLW) collected with vibrating wire sondes attached to weather balloons produced a comprehensive database for comparison. Key fields from the SLW-sondes include air temperature, humidity and liquid water content, cataloged by time and 3-D location.
This work gives an overview of the NIRSS and RadIA products and results are compared to in-situ SLW-sonde data from one icing case study. The location and quantity of supercooled liquid as measured by the insitu probes provide a measure of the utility of these prototype hazard-sensing algorithms.
CitationSerke, D., King, M., and Reehorst, A., "Initial Results from Radiometer and Polarimetric Radar-based Icing Algorithms Compared to In-situ Data," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2153, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2153.
- Rogers , R. , and Yau , M. A Short Course in Cloud Physics Elsevier Science Oxford, UK 1988
- Politovich , M.K. , Stankov B.B. and Martner B.E. Determination of liquid water altitudes using combined remote sensors J. Appl. Meteor 34 2060 2075 1995
- Bernstein , B. , McDonough , F. , Politovich , M. , Brown , B. , Ratvasky , T. , Miller , D. , Wolff , C. , and Cunning , G. Current Icing Potential: algorithm description and comparison to aircraft observations J. Appl. Meteor 44 969 986 2005
- Reehorst , A.L. , Brinker , D.J. , Ratvasky , T.P. NASA Icing Remote Sensing System: comparisons from AIRS-II NASA/TM-2005-213592 2005
- Solheim , F. , Godwin , J. , Westwater , E. , Han , Y. , Keihm , S. , Marsh , K. , and Ware , R. Radiometric profiling of temperature, water vapor and cloud liquid water using various inversion methods Radio Sci. 33 393 404 1998
- Reehorst , A. , Politovich , M. , Zednik , S. , Isaac , G. and Cober , S. Progress in the development of practical remote detection of icing conditions NASA/TM 2006-214242 NASA 2006
- Johnston , C. , Serke , D. , Adriaansen , D. , Reehorst , A. , Politovich , M. , Wolff , C. and McDonough , F. Comparison of in-situ, model and ground based in-flight icing severity AMS Conference Preprint Seattle, WA Jan 24 27 2011
- Reehorst , A. and Serke , D. A Terminal Area Icing Remote Sensing System Report NASA/TM 2014-218417 2014
- Serke , D. , Reehorst , A. , and Politovich , M. K. Supercooled large drop detection with NASA's Icing Remote Sensing System SPIE Remote Sensing Preprint Sept. 19 22 Toulouse, FR 2010 10.1117/12.863176
- Vivekanandan , J. , Zrnic , D. , Ellis , S. , Oye , R. , Ryzhkov , A. and Straka , J. Cloud microphysics retrieval sing S-band dual-polarization radar measurements Bulletin of the American Meteor. Soc. 80 381 388 1999
- Elmore Kimberly L. 2011 The NSSL Hydrometeor Classification Algorithm in Winter Surface Precipitation: Evaluation and Future Development Wea. Forecasting 26 756 765 10.1175/WAF-D-10-05011.1
- Bringi , V. and Chandrasekar , V. Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar - Principles and applications Cambridge University Press 656 2001
- Serke , D. , Ellis Scott , Hubbert John , Albo David , Johnston Christopher , Coy Charlie , Adriaanson Dan , and Politovich Marcia In-flight icing hazard detection with dual and single-polarimetric moments from operational NEXRADs AMS Radar September 16 20 Breckinridge, CO 2013
- Ikeda , K. , Rasmussen , R. , Brandes , E. and McDonough , F. Freezing Drizzle Detection with WSR-88D Radars J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol. 48 41 60 2009 10.1175/2008JAMC1939.1
- Plummer , D. , Göke , S. , Rauber , R. and Di Girolamo , L. Discrimination of mixed- versus ice-phase clouds using dual-polarization radar with application to detection of aircraft icing regions J. of Appl. Meteor. and Clim. 49 5 920 936 2010 10.1175/2009JAMC2267.1
- Williams , E. , Smalley D. , Donovan M. , Hallowell R. , Hood K. , Bennett B. , Evaristo R. , Stepanek A. , Bals-Elsholz T. , Cobb J. , Ritzman J. , Korolev A. , and Wolde M. 2014 Measurements of Differential Reflectivity in Snowstorms and Warm Season Stratiform Systems J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol. 10.1175/JAMC-D-14-0020.1
- Serke , D. , Hall , E. , Bognar , J. , Jordan , A. , Abdo , S. , Seitel , K. , Nelson , M. , Ware , R. , McDonough , F. and Politovich Marcia Supercooled liquid water content profiling case studies with a new vibrating wire sonde compared to a ground-based microwave radiometer Atmospheric Research June 6 th 2014 10.1016/j.atmosres.2014.05.026
- Serke , D. , Doyle , R. , King , M. , Geerts , B. , Steiger , S. and Politovich , M. A new SLW-sonde compared to research aircraft flights AMS 17 th Symposium on Meteorological Observation and Instrumentation June 9 13 Westminster, CO 2014