This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation into Location and Convective Lifecycle Trends in an Ice Crystal Icing Engine Event Database
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the last several years, the aviation industry has improved its understanding of jet engine events related to the ingestion of ice crystal particles. Ice crystal icing has caused powerloss and compressor damage events (henceforth referred to as “engine events”) during flights of large transport aircraft, commuter aircraft and business jets. A database has been created at Boeing to aid in analysis and study of these engine events. This paper will examine trends in the engine event database to better understand the weather which is associated with events. The event database will be evaluated for a number of criteria, such as the global location of the event, at what time of day the event occurred, in what season the event occurred, and whether there were local meteorological influences at play. A large proportion of the engine events occur in tropical convection over the ocean. The Japan / South China Sea is shown to be an event-rich area, and hence a detailed analysis will be presented, studying the location of events inside the cloud structure, and the timing of the event relative to the cloud life-cycle.
CitationBravin, M., Strapp, J., and Mason, J., "An Investigation into Location and Convective Lifecycle Trends in an Ice Crystal Icing Engine Event Database," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2130, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2130.
- Lawson , R.P. , Angus , L.J. , and Heymsfield , A.J. 1998 Cloud Particle Measurements in Thunderstorm Anvils and Possible Threat to Aviation J. Aircraft 35 1 113 121
- Mason , J. , Strapp J.W. and Chow P. 2006 The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences meeting and Exhibit Reno, Nevada AIAA 2006-206
- Dezitter , F. , Grandin , A. , Brenguier , J. L. , Hervy , F. , Schalger , H et al. 2013 HAIC - High Altitude Ice Crystals Proceedings of the 5th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference 10.2514/6.2013-2674
- Strapp , J.W. , Korolev A. , Ratvasky T. , Potts R. , Protat A. , May P. , Ackerman A. , Fridlind A. , Minnis P. , Haggerty J. , Riley J. T. , Grzych M. , and Isaac G.A. 2015 The High Ice Water Content (HIWC) Study of Deep Convective Clouds. Science and Technical Plan FAA report DOT/FAA/TC-14/31
- FAA Docket No. FAA-2010-0636, Amendment Nos 25-140 and 33-34. 4 November 2014. “Airplane and Engine Certification Requirements in Supercooled Large Drop, Mixed Phase, and Ice Crystal Icing Conditions.” Federal Register Vol. 79 No. 213
- Mazzawy , Robert S. , and Strapp J. Walter 2007 Appendix D - An Interim Icing Envelope : High Ice Crystal Concentrations and Glaciated Conditions SAE Transactions, Journal of Aerospace 116 634 642
- Protat , A. , Rauniyar S. , Kumar V.V. , Strapp J. W. 2014 Optimizing the Probability of Flying in High Ice Water Content Conditions in the Tropics Using a Regional-Scale Climatology of Convective Cell Properties Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 53 11 2438 2456
- Allbright , M.D. , Recker E.R. , Reed R.J. , and Dang R. 1985 The Diurnal Variation of Deep Convection and Inferred Precipitation in the Central Tropical Pacific During January-February 1979 Mon. Wea. Rev. 113 1663 1680
- Randall , D.A. , Harshvardhan , and Dazlich D.A. 1991 Diurnal Variability of the Hydrologic Cycle in a General Circulation Model Journal of Atmospheric Science 48 40 62
- Grzych , M. and Mason , J. 2010 January Weather Conditions Associated with Jet Engine Power Loss and Damage due to the Ingestion of Ice Particles: “What We've Learned Through 2009” AMS Meeting
- Mason , J. and Grzych , M. The Challenges Identifying Weather Associated With Jet Engine Ice Crystal Icing SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0094 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0094
- 2014 American Meteorological Society Mesoscale Convective System Glossary of Meteorology January 29 2015 http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/ “mesoscale convective system”
- Laing , A.G. , Carbone , R. , Levizzani , W. , and Tuttle , J. 2008 The Propagation and Diurnal Cycles of Deep Convection in Northern Tropical Africa Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134 93 109
- Webster , P.J , and Lukas R. 1992 TOGA COARE: The Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere Response Experiment Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 73 1377 1416 http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1992)073<1377:TCTCOR>2.0.CO;2
- 2015 American Meteorological Society Mei-Yu Front Glossary of Meteorology March 29 2015 http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/”Mei-yu front”
- Grzych , M. , Tritz , T. , Mason , J. , Bravin , M. et al. Studies of Cloud Characteristics Related to Jet Engine Ice Crystal Icing Utilizing Infrared Satellite Imagery SAE Technical Paper, 2015-01-2086 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2086
- Bedka , K. M. , Brunner , J , Dworak , R , Feltz , W , Otkin , J et al. 2010 Objective Satellite-Based Overshooting Top Detection Using Infrared Window Channel Brightness Temperature Gradients J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol. In Press