This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
2D Ice Shape Scaling for Helicopter Blade Profiles in Icing Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Different Airbus Helicopters main rotor blade profiles were tested in different icing wind tunnels and for different icing conditions. One of the objectives of the accretion tests was to validate the use of 2D icing scaling laws established for fixed wing aircraft on helicopter blade profiles. Therefore, ice shapes resulting from tests with the same icing similarity parameters are compared to each other allowing the assessment of icing scaling laws for helicopter applications. This paper presents the icing scaling laws used at Airbus Helicopters on blade profiles, the different test set ups and test models and it presents the comparison of the ice shapes collected during the icing wind tunnel test campaigns.
CitationMunzing, A. and Catris, S., "2D Ice Shape Scaling for Helicopter Blade Profiles in Icing Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2129, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2129.
- Anderson D. N. NASA/CR-2004-212875 Manual of Scaling Methods
- Catris , S. Icing Scaling Laws Implemented in a Rotor Performance Degradation Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0082 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0082
- Broeren P. , Addy H. E. Jr. , Bragg M. B. AIAA 2002-240 Effect of intercycle ice accretions on airfoil performance
- Lee S. , Kim H. S. , Bragg M. B. AIAA 2000-0099 Investigation of factors that influence iced-airfoil aerodynamics
- Papadakis , Chadrasekharan , Hinson , Ratvasky AIAA 2002-242 Effects of Roughness on the Aerodynamic Performance of a Business Jet Tail
- Bragg M. B. , Broeren A. P. , Addy H. E. Jr. , Potapczuk M. , Guffond D. , Montreuil E. AIAA 2007-85 Airfoil Ice-Accretion Aerodynamics Simulation
- Langmuir , K. B. Blodgett Army Air Forces Technical Report No. 5418 February 1946 A Mathematical Investigation of Water Droplet Trajectories
- Anderson D. N. , Ruff G. A. AIAA 99-244 Evaluation of Methods to Select Scale Velocities in Icing Scaling Tests
- Anderson D. N. AIAA 2000-236 Effect of Velocity in Icing Scaling Tests
- Kind R. J. AIAA 2001-835 Assessment of Importance of Water-Film Parameters for Scaling of Glaze Icing Anderson D. N. , Tsao J.-C. AIAA 2003-01-2130 Overview of Icing Physics Relevant to Scaling