This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Freezing Fog and Drizzle Observations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fog and drizzle observations collected during the arctic weather and SAR (Search and Rescue) operations (SAAWSO) project at sub-freezing temperatures (T) are analyzed in this study to identify icing conditions, improve ground-based in-situ and remote sensing observations, and develop icing parameterizations for numerical weather prediction (NWP) models. The SAAWSO project took place during the 2012-2013 winter conditions that occurred over St. John's, NFL, Canada. Observations were obtained by a Droplet Measuring Technologies Fog Measuring Device (FMD), a ground cloud imaging probe (GCIP), a Radiometrics Profiling Microwave Radiometer (PMWR), a Rosemount icing detector, a laser disdrometer, and surface meteorological sensors. Precipitation, wind, and radiation data were also collected. Results suggest that observations obtained from integrated in-situ and remote sensors can be used to characterize icing conditions.
CitationGultepe, I., Pavolonis, M., Zhou, B., Ware, R. et al., "Freezing Fog and Drizzle Observations," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2113, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2113.
- Gultepe , I. , Pearson G. Milbrandt J. A. , Hansen B. , Platnick S. , Taylor P. , Gordon M. , Oakley J. P. , and Cober S.G. The fog remote sensing and modeling (FRAM) field project Bull. Of Amer. Meteor. Soc. 90 341 359 2009
- Gultepe , I. , Kuhn T. , Pavolonis M. , Calvert C. , Gurka J. , Isaac G.A. , Heymsfield A. J. , Liu P.S.K. , Zhou B. , Ware R. , Ferrier B. , Milbrandt J. , Hansen B. , and Bernstein B. Ice fog in Arctic during FRAM-IF project: Aviation and nowcasting applications Bulletin of Amer. Met. Soc. 95 211 226 2014
- Thompson , G. , Field P. , Rasmussen R. , and Hall W. Explicit forecasts of winter precipitation using an improved bulk microphysics scheme. Part II: Implementation of a new snow parameterization Mon. Wea. Rev. 136 5095 5115 2008
- Nygaard , B. E. K. , Kristjánsson Jón Egill , and Makkonen Lasse Prediction of In-Cloud Icing Conditions at Ground Level Using the WRF Model J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol. 50 2445 2459 2011
- Gultepe , I. , and Isaac G. A. Scale effects on averaging of cloud droplet and aerosol number concentrations: observations and models J. Climate 12 1268 1279 1999
- Gent , R. W. , Dart N. P. , and Cansdale J. T. Aircraft icing Philos. Trans. Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 358 2873 2911 2000
- Gultepe , I. , Isaac , G. , Rasmussen , R. , and Ungar , K. A Freezing Fog/Drizzle Event during the FRAM-S Project SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0028 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0028
- Gultepe , I. , Zhou B. , Milbrandt J. , Bott A. , Li Y. , Heymsfield A. J. , Ferrier B. , Ware R. , Pavolonis M. , Kuhn T. , Gurka J. , Liu P. , and Cermak J. A review on Ice Fog: Observations and Modeling Atmospheric Research 10.1016/j.atmosres.2014.04.014 2 19 2015
- Ware , R. , Cimini D. , Campos E. , Giuliani G. , Albers S. , Nelson M. , Koch S.E. , Joe P. , and Cober S. Thermodynamic and liquid profiling during the 2010 Winter Olympics Atmospheric Research 2013
- Makkonen , L. Models for the growth of rime, glaze, icicles and wet snow on structures Philos. Trans. Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 358 2913 2939 2000
- Makkonen , L. , and Stallabrass J. Experiments on the cloud droplet collision efficiency of cylinders J. Climate Appl. Meteor. 26 1406 1411 1987
- Finstad , K. F. , Lozowski E. P. , and Gates , E. M. A computational investigation of water droplet trajectories J. of Atmos. Ocean. Tech. 5 160 170 1988
- Jones , K.F. , Ramsay A. C. , and Lott J. N. Icing severity in the December 2002 freezing-rain storm from ASOS data Mon. Wea. Rev. 132 1630 1644 2004
- DeGaetano , A.T. , Belcher Brian N. , and Spier Pamela L. Short-Term Ice Accretion Forecasts for Electric Utilities Using the Weather Research and Forecasting Model and a Modified Precipitation-Type Algorithm Weather Forecasting 23 838 853 2008
- Newton , D. W. An integrated approach to the problem of aircraft icing J. Aircraft. 15 374 380 1978
- Rasmussen , R.M. , Vivekanandan J. , Cole J. , Myers B. , and Masters C. The Estimation of Snowfall Rate Using Visibility J. Appl. Meteor. 38 1542 1563 1999
- Rasmussen , R.M. , Cole J. , Moore R. K. , and Kuperman M. Common Snowfall Conditions Associated with Aircraft Takeoff Accidents Journal of Aircraft 37 110 116 2000