This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Certification Flight Tests in Natural Icing of the PZL Mielec M28 Commuter Turboprop Airplane
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 2014 PZL Mielec obtained an EASA Type Certificate extension for the PZL M28 05 airplane for flight into icing conditions and this has been validated by the FAA. Thus, a project that lasted four years was finished successfully. During this period, activities consisted of icing analyses, wind tunnel tests in the NASA Glenn Research Center Icing Research Tunnel, and natural icing flight tests, artificial icing flight tests, flight tests with simulated ice shapes, and calibration tests. Flights in measured natural icing conditions began during the spring of 2009 and certification flight tests were performed in 2012. The natural icing test flights, apart one flight in the USA, were performed in Poland in the Mielec area. The final test campaign can be divided into two phases: (1) March -April flight tests campaign; and (2) November - December flight test campaign, the latter after introducing some design changes in airframe ice protection system.
CitationBrzeczek, J., Pietruszka, J., Flemming, R., and Bernstein, B., "Certification Flight Tests in Natural Icing of the PZL Mielec M28 Commuter Turboprop Airplane," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2110, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2110.
- CS-23- Certification Specifications for Normal, Utility, Aerobatic, and Commuter Category Aeroplanes.
- “Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 23: Airworthiness Standards: Normal, Utility, Acrobatic, and Commuter Category Airplanes,” (date consistent with amendment and certification basis).
- “Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25: Airworthiness Standards: Transport Category Airplanes,” (date consistent with amendment and certification basis).
- Advisory Circular AC No:23.1419-2C.
- Kubryn, M., Flemming, R., Bernstein, B., and Pietruszka, J., “Flight Tests in Natural Icing of the PZL Mielec M28 Commuter Turboprop Airplane,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0104, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-38-0104.
- Bernstein, B.C. and LeBot C.: “An Inferred climatology of icing conditions aloft, including supercooled large drops. Part II: Europe, Asia and the Globe,” J. Appl. Meteor. Clim., 48, 1503-1526, 2009.