This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of the Splashing Phenomenon of Large Droplets for Aviation Safety
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper we numerically investigated the impact of large droplets on smooth solid surfaces to understand the splashing mechanism involved in ice accretion due to supercooled large droplets. A Navier-Stokes solver was used to describe the flow field, the moment-of-fluid (MOF) method was used to capture the droplet interface evolution, and the adaptive mesh refinement technique was employed to refine the mesh near the region of interest. We investigated the effect of air on splashing mechanism and confirmed that a low pressure can suppress the droplet splashing. The size distribution of splashed secondary droplets was studied and showed good agreement with experimental results. The effect of surface curvature on the splashing phenomenon was highlighted. Finally, the droplet impact on a NACA 23012 airfoil was studied and the water collection efficiency was investigated.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Effects of Surface Wettability on Wind Driven Droplet|
|Technical Paper||Induced Drag of a Simple Wing From Wake Measurements|
|Technical Paper||Amphibian Aircraft Design|
CitationLian, Y. and Guo, Y., "Investigation of the Splashing Phenomenon of Large Droplets for Aviation Safety," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2100, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2100.
- Bragg, M.B., “Aircraft Aerodynamic Effects due to Large Droplet Ice Accretions.” AIAA Paper, 1996. 0932
- Potapczuk, M.G., Al-Khalil K.M., and Velazquez M.T., “Ice accretion and performance degradation calculations with LEWICE.” 1993.
- Bragg, M.B. Aerodynamics of supercooled- large-droplet ice accretions and the effect on aircraft control. in Proceedings of the FAA International Conference on Aircraft Inflight Icing. 1996. Springfield, VA.
- Petty, K.R. and Floyd C.D.J., “A statistical review of aviation airframe icing accidents in the US,” in Proceedings of the 11th Conference on Aviation, Range, and Aerospace Hyannis. 2004.
- Wright, W.B., “Further refinement of the LEWICE SLD model.” 2006
- Isaac, G., Cober S., Strapp J., Hudak D., et al. Preliminary results from the Alliance Icing Research Study (AIRS). in AIAA 39th Aerospace Sci. Meeting and Exhibit. 2001.
- Bond, T., Potapczuk M., and Miller D., “Overview of SLD engineering tool development.” AIAA Paper, 2003. 386: p. 41
- Gent, J.F. and Moser R., “D. Miller, “Results from SLD Mass Loss Tests in the ACT Luton Icing Research Wind Tunnel,””. 2003, AIAA-2003-389, Jan. 6-9.
- Gibou, F., Fedkiw R., Caflisch R., and Osher S., “A level set approach for the numerical simulation of dendritic growth.” Journal of Scientific Computing, 2003. 19(1-3): p. 183-199
- Wright, W.B. and Potapczuk M.G., “Computational Simulation of Large Droplet Icing.” Proceedings of the FAA International Conference on Aircraft In-flight Icing, 1996: p. 545-555
- Wright, W.B. and Potapczuk M.. Computational simulation of large droplet icing. in Proceedings of the FAA International Conference on Aircraft Inflight Icing. 1996.
- Politovich, M.K., “Aircraft Icing Caused by Large Supercooled Drops.” Journal of Applied Meteorology, 1989. 28(9): p. 856-868
- Wright, W.B., “Validation results for LEWICE 3.0.” AIAA paper, 2005. 1243
- Morency, F., Beaugendre H., Baruzzi G.S., and Habashi W.G., “FENSAP-ICE: A Comprehensive 3D Simulation Tool for In-flight Icing.” AIAA Paper, 2001. 2566
- Lee, S. and Bragg M.B., “Experimental investigation of simulated large-droplet ice shapes on airfoil aerodynamics.” Journal of Aircraft, 1999. 36(5): p. 844-850, doi:Doi 10.2514/2.2518.
- Dunn, T.A., Loth E., and Bragg M.B., “Computational investigation of simulated large-droplet ice shapes on airfoil aerodynamics.” Journal of Aircraft, 1999. 36(5): p. 836-843, doi:Doi 10.2514/2.2517.
- Wright, W.B. and Potapczuk M.G., “Semi-Empirical Modeling of SLD Physics.” NASA/TM-2004-212916, 2004
- Rutkowski, A., Wright W., and Potapczuk M., “Numerical Study of Droplet Splashing and Re-Impingement.” AIAA paper, 2003. 388
- Myers, T.G. and Hammond D.W., “Ice and water film growth from incoming supercooled droplets.” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1999. 42(12): p. 2233-2242, doi:Doi 10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00237-3.
- Villedieu, P., Trontin P., and Chauvin R., “Glaciated and mixed-phase ice accretion modeling using ONERA 2D icing suite,” in 6th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference. 2014.
- Silva, D.M.d., Bachchan N., Kim I., and Peroomian O., “Icing Collection Efficiency Prediction using an Eulerian-Eulerian Approach,” in 44th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference. 2014.
- Honsek, R., Habashi W.G., and Aubé M.S., “Eulerian Modeling of In-Flight Icing Due to Supercooled Large Droplets.” JOURNAL OF AIRCRAFT, 2008. 45(4)
- Yarin, A., “Drop impact dynamics: splashing, spreading, receding, bouncing….” Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech., 2006. 38: p. 159-192
- Mundo, C., Sommerfeld M., and Tropea C., “Droplet-wall collisions: experimental studies of the deformation and breakup process.” International journal of multiphase flow, 1995. 21(2): p. 151-173
- Rieber, M. and Frohn A., “A numerical study on the mechanism of splashing.” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 1999. 20(5): p. 455-461
- Rioboo, R., Bauthier C., Conti J., Voue M., et al., “Experimental investigation of splash and crown formation during single drop impact on wetted surfaces.” Experiments in fluids, 2003. 35(6): p. 648-652
- Yarin, A. and Weiss D., “Impact of drops on solid surfaces: self-similar capillary waves, and splashing as a new type of kinematic discontinuity.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1995. 283(1): p. 141-173
- Weiss, D.A. and Yarin A.L., “Single drop impact onto liquid films: neck distortion, jetting, tiny bubble entrainment, and crown formation.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1999. 385(1): p. 229-254
- Bussmann, M., Mostaghimi J., and Chandra S., “On a three-dimensional volume tracking model of droplet impact.” Physics of Fluids, 1999. 11: p. 1406
- Mongruel, A., Daru V., Feuillebois F., and Tabakova S., “Early post-impact time dynamics of viscous drops onto a solid dry surface.” Physics of Fluids (1994-present), 2009. 21(3): p. 032101
- Xu, L., Zhang W.W., and Nagel S.R., “Drop splashing on a dry smooth surface.” Physical review letters, 2005. 94(18): p. 184505
- Latka, A., Strandburg-Peshkin A., Driscoll M.M., Stevens C.S., et al., “Creation of prompt and thin-sheet splashing by varying surface roughness or increasing air pressure.” Physical Review Letters, 2012. 109(5): p. 054501
- White, F.M., Viscous Fluid Flow. 2006: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Lissaman, P., “Low-Reynolds-number airfoils.” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 1983. 15(1): p. 223-239
- Wright, W.B. and Potapczuk M.G.. Semi-empirical modeling of SLD physics. in AIAA conference, AIAA-2004-0412. 2004.
- Stanton, D.W. and Rutland C.J., “Multi-dimensional modeling of thin liquid films and spray-wall interactions resulting from impinging sprays.” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1998. 41(20): p. 3037-3054
- Marengo, M. and Tropea C., “Zwischenbericht zum Forschungsvorhaben Aufprall von Tropfen auf Flusssigkeitsfilme.” Tr. 194(10): p. 1
- Trujillo, M., Mathews W., Lee C., and Peters J., “Modelling and experiment of impingement and atomization of a liquid spray on a wall.” International Journal of Engine Research, 2000. 1(1): p. 87-105
- Schmehl, R., Rosskamp H., Willmann M., and Wittig S., “CFD analysis of spray propagation and evaporation including wall film formation and spray/film interactions.” International journal of heat and fluid flow, 1999. 20(5): p. 520-529
- Samenfink, W., Elsäßer A., Dullenkopf K., and Wittig S., “Droplet interaction with shear-driven liquid films: analysis of deposition and secondary droplet characteristics.” International journal of heat and fluid flow, 1999. 20(5): p. 462-469
- Chandra, S. and Avedisian C., “On the collision of a droplet with a solid surface.” Proceedings: Mathematical and Physical Sciences, 1991: p. 13-41
- Mao, T., Kuhn D., and Tran H., “Spread and rebound of liquid droplets upon impact on flat surfaces.” AIChE Journal, 2004. 43(9): p. 2169-2179
- Roisman, I.V., Rioboo R., Tropea C., Roisman I.V., et al., “Normal impact of a liquid drop on a dry surface: model for spreading and receding.” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 2002. 458(2022): p. 1411-1430
- Xu, H., Liu Y., He P., and Wang H., “The TAR model for calculation of droplet/wall impingement.” Journal of fluids engineering, 1998. 120(3): p. 593-597
- Kim, H.Y. and Chun J.H., “The recoiling of liquid droplets upon collision with solid surfaces.” Physics of fluids, 2001. 13(3): p. 643-659
- Blake, J., Thompson D., Strobl T., Bonaccurso E., et al., “Effects of Surface Characteristics and Droplet Diameter on the Freezing of Supercooled Water Droplets Impacting a Cooled Substrate,” in 6th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference. 2014.
- Footte, G.B., “The water drop rebound problem: Dynamics of collision.” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 1975. 32(2): p. 390-402
- Brackbill, J., Kothe D.B., and Zemach C., “A continuum method for modeling surface tension.” Journal of computational physics, 1992. 100(2): p. 335-354
- Bussmann, M., Chandra S., and Mostaghimi J., “Modeling the splash of a droplet impacting a solid surface.” Physics of Fluids, 2000. 12: p. 3121
- Yokoi, K., “Numerical studies of droplet splashing on a dry surface: triggering a splash with the dynamic contact angle.” Soft Matter, 2011. 7(11): p. 5120-5123
- Mundo, C., Tropea C., and Sommerfeld M., “Numerical and experimental investigation of spray characteristics in the vicinity of a rigid wall.” Experimental thermal and fluid science, 1997. 15(3): p. 228-237
- Schroll, R.D., Josserand C., Zaleski S., and Zhang W.W., “Impact of a viscous liquid drop.” Physical review letters, 2010. 104(3): p. 034504
- Lian, Y.S., Guo Y.S., and Work A., “Study of supercooled large droplet impacts using the moment of fluid method,” in 52nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting. 2014.
- Kolinski, J.M., Rubinstein S.M., Mandre S., Brenner M.P., et al., “Skating on a film of air: drops impacting on a surface.” Physical review letters, 2012. 108(7): p. 074503
- Liu, J., Vu H., Yoon S.S., Jepsen R., et al., “Splashing Phenomena during Liquid Droplet Impact.” Atomization and Sprays, 2010. 20(4): p. 297-310
- Bird, J.C., Tsai S.S., and Stone H.A., “Inclined to splash: triggering and inhibiting a splash with tangential velocity.” New Journal of Physics, 2009. 11(6): p. 063017
- Kwatra, N., Su J., Grétarsson J.T., and Fedkiw R., “A method for avoiding the acoustic time step restriction in compressible flow.” Journal of Computational Physics, 2009. 228(11): p. 4146-4161
- Sussman, M., Almgren A.S., Bell J.B., Colella P., et al., “An adaptive level set approach for incompressible two-phase flows.” Journal of Computational Physics, 1999. 148(1): p. 81-124
- Jemison, M., Sussman M., and Arienti M., “Compressible, Multiphase Semi-Implicit Method with Moment of Fluid Interface Representation.” Submitted to Journal of Computational Physics, 2013
- Dyadechko, V. and Shashkov M., “Moment-of-fluid interface reconstruction.” Los Alamos report LA-UR-05-7571, 2005
- Lian, Y.S., Guo Y.S., and Work A., “Numerical Simulation of Supercooled Large Droplets Using the Moment of Fluid Method.” 2014.
- Kang, M., Fedkiw R.P., and Liu X.-D., “A boundary condition capturing method for multiphase incompressible flow.” Journal of Scientific Computing, 2000. 15(3): p. 323-360
- Jemison, M., Loch E., Sussman M., Shashkov M., et al., “A coupled level set-moment of fluid method for incompressible two-phase flows.” Journal of Scientific Computing, 2013. 54(2-3): p. 454-491
- Le Chenadec, V. and Pitsch H., “A 3D Unsplit Forward/Backward Volume-of-Fluid Approach and Coupling to the Level Set Method.” Journal of Computational Physics, 2013. 233(0): p. 10-33, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2012.07.019.
- Duffy, A., Kuhnle A., and Sussman M., “An Improved Variable Density Pressure Projection Solver For Adaptive Meshes.” Journal of Computational Physics.
- Sussman, M., “A parallelized, adaptive algorithm for multiphase flows in general geometries.” Computers & structures, 2005. 83(6): p. 435-444
- Rendleman, C.A., Beckner V.E., Lijewski M., Crutchfield W., et al., “Parallelization of structured, hierarchical adaptive mesh refinement algorithms.” Computing and Visualization in Science, 2000. 3(3): p. 147-157
- Šikalo, Š., Wilhelm H.D., Roisman I., Jakirlić S., et al., “Dynamic contact angle of spreading droplets: Experiments and simulations.” Physics of Fluids, 2005. 17: p. 062103
- Criscione, A., Röhrig R., Opfer L., Roisman I., et al., “Numerical investigation of impacting water drops in air cross-flow.” 2011
- Pasandideh-Fard, M., Chandra S., and Mostaghimi J., “A three-dimensional model of droplet impact and solidification.” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2002. 45(11): p. 2229-2242
- Jiang, T.-S., Oh S.-G., and Slattery J.C., “Correlation for Dynamic Contact Angle.” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 1979. 69(1)
- Beard, K.V. and Pruppacher H.R., “A Determination of the Terminal Velocity and Drag of Small Water Drops by Means of a Wind Tunnel.” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 1969. 26: p. 1066-1072
- Jiang, T.-S., Soo-Gun O., and Slattery J.C., “Correlation for dynamic contact angle.” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 1979. 69(1): p. 74-77