This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Additional Considerations for Analytical Modeling of Rotor Blade Ice
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The entire process from ice accretion to ice impact with ice shedding in between still needs refinement. This paper presents key points illustrating the need for improvements in understanding the mechanical properties of ice accretion on helicopter rotor systems.
CitationAubert, R., "Additional Considerations for Analytical Modeling of Rotor Blade Ice," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2080, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2080.
- Scavuzzo R.J. and Chu M.I., “Structural Properties of Impact Ices Accreted on Aircraft Structures,”, NASA-CR-179580, Prepared for the Lewis Research Center under Grant NAG3-479
- Brouwers E., Palacios J., Smith E., Peterson A. “The experimental investigation of a rotor hover icing model with shedding,” Presented at the American Helicopter Society 66th Annual Forum, Phoenix, AZ, May 11-13, 2010
- Fortin G., Perron, J., J., “Spinning Rotor Blade Tests in Icing Wind Tunnel,” AIAA Paper 2009-4260.
- Wright J. and Aubert R., “Icing Wind Tunnel Test of Full Scale Heated Tail Rotor Model,” Presented at the AHS 70th Forum in Montreal, QC, May 2014
- Miller T. and Bond T., “Icing Research Tunnel Test of a Model Helicopter Rotor,” NASA-TM-101978, Prepared for the 45th Annual Forum and Technology Display sponsored by the American Helicopter Society, May 22-24, 1989.
- Oleskiw M., “AIRA Research Thrust III- Physics of Ice Adhesion for Rotating Surfaces” Reno, NV, January 8, 2007
- Kitchens P. F., “Application of the Spanwise Shedding Rotor Blade Deicing Concept,” Presented to the Helicopter Icing Symposium at the Royal Aeronautical Society, November 1978
- Brouwers E., Peterson A., Palacios J., Centolanza L., “Ice adhesion Strength Measurements for Rotor Blade Leading Edge Materials,”, Presented at the AHS 67th Annual Forum, May 2011.
- Bain, J., Sankar, L., Aubert, R., and Flemming, R., “A Methodology for the Prediction of Rotor Blade Ice Formation and Shedding,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0090, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-38-0090.
- Aubert R., and Wright, J., “Challenges in Predicting Rotor Blade Ice Protection Coverage Extent using Alternate Flow Solver and Lewice3D,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0097, 2011,
- Reinert, T., Flemming, R., Narducci, R., and Aubert, R., “Oscillating Airfoil Icing Tests in the NASA Glenn Research Center Icing Research Tunnel,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0016,
- Scavuzzo R.J., Chu M.L. and Kellackey C.J., “Impact Ice Stresses in Rotating Airfoils,” Presented at the AIAA 28th Aerospace Science Meeting, January 1990
- Britton R. K. and Bond T. H.; “An Overview of Shed Ice Impact Studies in the NASA Lewis Icing Research Tunnel;” NASA-TM-105569
- Lewice 3.2.2 - Ice Accretion Software. Track code 18573-1
- Bain J., Cajigas J., Sankar L., Flemming R., and Aubert R., “Prediction of Rotor Blade Ice Shedding using Empirical Methods,” AIAA Paper 2010-7985
- Tarquini S., Antonini C., Amirfazli A., Marengo M., Palacios J., «Investigation of ice shedding Properties on Superhydrophobic Coatings on Helicopter Blades,«
- Wahl D., Giguere P., “Ice Shedding and Ice Throw - Risk and Mitigation,” GE Energy
- Zanazzi, G., Mingione, G., Pagano, A., Visingardi, A. et al., “Ice Accretion Prediction on Helicopter Rotor Blade in Hover Flight,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3309, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3309.
- “In-flight Icing and the Helicopter,” Flight Safety Foundation, Volume 16 No. 6
- Reich A., Goodrich F., Scavuzzo F and Chu M., “Survey of Mechanical Properties of Impact Ice,” AIAA Paper 94-0712