This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Sulfur-Related White Smoke Emissions from DPF System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a Diesel engine with a Diesel particulate filter (DPF) system, high-sulfur fuel causes white smoke containing odorous and harmful pollutants during DPF regeneration. This study investigates the conditions and mechanisms of sulfur-related white smoke generation.
Engine and vehicle tests found that sulfur compounds emitted from the engine accumulated on the catalysts in the DPF system and were emitted as white smoke during DPF regeneration. The white smoke was observed when the catalyst temperature was more than 450°C, under conditions such as the early stage of DPF regeneration.
Model gas tests were conducted to clarify the mechanism of the white smoke. It was found that SO2 emitted from the engine was oxidized to SO3 on the catalyst, which was then mainly absorbed on the oxidation catalyst support (Al2O3). Then, the absorbed SO3 was desorbed and converted into white smoke. The intensity of the white smoke depended on the amount of desorbed SO3 and the rate of temperature increase of the catalyst.
CitationHirano, T., Goto, I., Kitano, K., Kojima, T. et al., "Analysis of Sulfur-Related White Smoke Emissions from DPF System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2023, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2023.
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Kostoglou , M. , Skaperdas , E. , Papaioannou , E. et al. Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016 2000
- Salvat , O. , Marez , P. , and Belot , G. Passenger Car Serial Application of a Particulate Filter System on a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0473 2000
- Hawker P. and Myers N. Experience with a New Particulate Trap Technology in Europe SAE Paper No. 970182 1997
- Johnson , T. Diesel Emission Control in Review SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 68 81 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0069
- Majewski , W. A , and Khair , M. K. Diesel Emissions and Their Control SAE International 2006
- Johnson , T. V. Diesel Emission Control in Review SAE 2006-01-0233 2006
- Zama , Y. , Yamamoto , C. , Furuhata , T. , Saito , M. et al. Fuel Sulfur Effect on Nano-PM Formation from Diffusion Flame SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2055 2011
- Zannis , T. , Hountalas , D. , Papagiannakis , R. , and Levendis , Y. Effect of Fuel Chemical Structure and Properties on Diesel Engine Performance and Pollutant Emissions: Review of the Results of Four European Research Programs SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 384 419 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0838
- Clark , W. , Sverdrup , G. , Goguen , S. , Keller , G. et al. Overview of Diesel Emission Control-Sulfur Effects Program SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1879 2000
- Hochhauser , A. , Schleyer , C. , Yeh , L. , and Rickeard , D. Impact of Fuel Sulfur on Gasoline and Diesel Vehicle Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3370 2006
- Asanuma , T. , Takeshima , S. , Yamashita , T. , Tanaka , T. et al. Influence of Sulfur Concentration in Gasoline on NO x Storage - Reduction Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3501 1999
- Liang , C. , Baumgard , K. , Gorse , R. , Orban , J. et al. Effects of Diesel Fuel Sulfur Level on Performance of a Continuously Regenerating Diesel Particulate Filter and a Catalyzed Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1876 2000
- Asanuma , T. , Hirota , S. , Yanaka , M. , Tsukasaki , Y. et al. Effect of Sulfur-free and Aromatics-free Diesel Fuel on Vehicle Exhaust Emissions using Simultaneous PM and NO x Reduction System SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1865 2003
- US Department of Health and Human Services Toxicological profile for sulfur trioxide and sulfuric acid Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry 1998
- Mooney , J. DIESEL ENGINE EMISSIONS CONTROL REQUIRES LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1434 2000
- Bardasz , E. , Mackney , D. , Britton , N. , Kleinschek , G. et al. Investigations of the Interactions between Lubricant-derived Species and Aftertreatment Systems on a State-of-the-Art Heavy Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1963 2003
- Eaton , S. , Nguyen , K. , and Bunting , B. Deactivation of Diesel Oxidation Catalysts by Oil-Derived Phosphorus SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3422 2006
- Henk , M. , Williamson , W. , and Silver , R. Diesel Catalysts for Low Particulate and Low Sulfate Emissions SAE Technical Paper 920368 1992
- Truex , T. Interaction of Sulfur with Automotive Catalysts and the Impact on Vehicle Emissions-A Review SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1543 1999
- Li , J. , Kumar , A. , Chen , X. , Currier , N. et al. Impact of Different Forms of Sulfur Poisoning on Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Performance SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0514 2013