This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Modelling Study of Cold Start Effects on a Cu-Zeolite NH 3 Selective Catalytic Reduction Catalyst
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Microreactor, engine bench tests and modelling studies have been carried out to understand the influence of cold start (low temperatures) on the performance of NH3/urea-SCR automotive exhaust aftertreatment systems.
Water storage experiments using Simultaneous Thermal Analysis (STA) coupled with numerical modelling demonstrated that the exo/endo-therms associated with water adsorption and desorption at temperatures below 150°C strongly influence the catalyst temperature.
Appreciable amounts of NO and NO2 could be stored on the catalyst during reactor or engine testing in the absence of any NH3 (blank tests). Modelling studies at different inlet NO2/NOx ratios demonstrated some of the influences of these surface adsorbed species on the performance of the SCR system during cold start.
When the SCR inlet NO2/NOx ratio is greater than 0.5, reactor results using typical cold start steady state temperatures showed the possible formation of ammonium nitrate, which would then participate in further reactions at higher temperatures (>200°C). The developed mathematical model which included ammonium nitrate formation and further reaction kinetics gave good predictions of engine test results obtained during transient operation over the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle).
- Jason P. Cleeton - Johnson Matthey, Emission Control Technologies
- Miroslaw Gall - Johnson Matthey, Emission Control Technologies
- James A. Wylie - Johnson Matthey, Emission Control Technologies
- Peter I. Chigada - Johnson Matthey Technology Centre
- Timothy C. Watling - Johnson Matthey Technology Centre
CitationChigada, P., Watling, T., Cleeton, J., Gall, M. et al., "Experimental and Modelling Study of Cold Start Effects on a Cu-Zeolite NH3 Selective Catalytic Reduction Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2011, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2011.
- Devadas , M. ; Kröcher , O. ; Elsener , M. ; Wokaun , A. ; Söger , N. ; Pfeifer , M. ; Demel , Y. ; Mussmann , L. Influence of NO 2 on the selective catalytic reduction of NO with ammonia over Fe-ZSM5 Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 2006 67 187 196
- Fedeyko , J. M. ; Chen , B. ; Chen , H.-Y. Mechanistic study of the low temperature activity of transition metal exchanged zeolite SCR catalysts Catalysis Today 2010 151 231 236
- Watling , T. C. ; Tutuianu , M. ; Desai , M. R. ; Dai , J. ; Marktou , P. ; Johansson , A. Development and Validation of a Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Model 2011 2011-01-1299
- Jänchen , J. ; Stach , H. ; Hellwig , U. Water sorption in faujasite- and chabazite type zeolites of varying lattice composition for heat storage applications In Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis 2008 174 599 602
- Kusaka , J. , Shimao , H. , Yano , H. , Murasaki , T. et al. Analysis of NOx Conversion Using a Quasi 2-D NH3-SCR Model with Detailed Reactions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 352 358 2012 10.4271/2011-01-2081
- Grossale , A. ; Isabella , N. ; Enrico , T. Study of a Fe-zeolite-based system as NH 3 -SCR catalyst for diesel exhaust aftertreatment Catalysis Today 2008 136 18 27
- Schmeisser , V. , Weibel , M. , Sebastian Hernando , L. , Nova , I. et al. Cold Start Effect Phenomena over Zeolite SCR Catalysts for Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6 1 190 199 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1064
- Madia , G. ; Koebel , M. ; Elsener , M. ; Wokaun , A. Side Reactions in the Selective Catalytic Reduction of NO x with Various NO 2 fractions Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 2002 41 4008 4015
- Tronconi , E. ; Nova , I. ; Colombo , M. Dynamic Methods in Catalytic Reaction Engineering: Applications to the Investigation of NH 3 Selective Catalytic Reduction Reactions for Diesel Emission Control Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 2010 49 10374 10385
- Savara , A. ; Li , M.-J. ; Sachtler , W. M. H. ; Weitz , E. Catalytic reduction of NH 4 NO 3 by NO: Effects of solid acids and implications for low temperature DeNO x processes Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 2008 81 251 257
- Klingstedt , F. ; Arve , K. ; Eränen , K. ; Murzin , D. Y. Toward Improved Catalytic Low-Temperature NOx Removal in Diesel-Powered Vehicles Accounts of Chemical Research 2006 39 273 282
- Ahmadinejad , M. ; Desai , M. R. ; Watling , T. C. ; York , A. P. E. Simulation of automotive emission control systems Advances in Chemical Engineering 2007 33 47 101
- Etheridge , J.E ; Watling , T.C. ; Is reactor light-off data sufficiently discriminating between kinetic parameters to be used for developing kinetic models of automotive exhaust aftertreatment catalysts? The effect of hysteresis induced by strong self inhibition Chemical Engineering Journal 2015 264 376 388
- Sjövall , H. ; Blint , R. J. ; Olsson , L. Detailed Kinetic Modelling of NH 3 and H 2 O Adsorption, and NH 3 Oxidation over Cu-ZSM-5 Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2009 113 4 1393 1405
- Yim , S. D. ; Kim , S. J. ; Baik , J. H. ; Nam , i.-S. ; Mok , Y. S. ; Lee , J.-H. ; Cho , B. K. ; Oh , S. H. Decomposition of Urea into NH 3 for the SCR Process Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 2004 43 4856 4863
- Benjamin , S. F. ; Gall , M. ; Roberts , C. A. Conversion of nitric oxide in an engine exhaust by selective catalytic reduction with a urea spray under steady-state and transient engine-load conditions Journal of Automobile Engineering 2014 228 7 758 770