This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Bypass Valve Control on the Steady-State and Transient Performance of Diesel Engines with Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharging System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The concept of regulated two-stage turbocharging system is proposed to provide high boost pressure level over a wide range of engine speed by regulating the energy distribution of two turbochargers. However, the control strategy of turbine bypass valve becomes more complicated due to the frequently changing working of vehicle diesel engines. In this paper, a two-stage turbocharging system was matched for D6114 diesel engine to improve the low-speed torque. The effect of valve opening on the steady-state and transient performance was analyzed, and two different regulating laws were determined according to the different optimum aims. Then the transient response characteristics of two different regulating laws were studied and optimized at three speeds with the transient loading test. For steady-state performance, the output power and fuel efficiency were increased with the matched turbocharging system. The output power was increased by 21.4%, and the BSFC was decreased by 5.4% at 1100r/min. The economic and dynamic regulating laws were achieved for the purpose of minimizing the brake specific fuel consumption and maximizing the boost pressure. For transient loading performance, the transient response characteristic was improved with the control of turbine bypass valve, and the stable time of boost pressure was reduced with the matched turbocharging system.
- Kangyao Deng - Shanghai Jiaotong Univ.
- Bo Liu - China Shipbuilding Power Engineering Institute Co., Ltd.
- Lei Shi - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Hualei Li - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Huiyan Zhang - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Xiaojian Mao - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Lin Hua - National Key Laboratory of Diesel Engine Turbocharging Tech.
CitationShi, L., Li, H., Zhang, H., Mao, X. et al., "The Effect of Bypass Valve Control on the Steady-State and Transient Performance of Diesel Engines with Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharging System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1987, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1987.
- Serrano J , Arnau F , Dolz V et al. Analysis of the capabilities of a two-stage turbocharging system to fulfill the US2007 anti-pollution directive for heavy duty diesel engines [J] International Journal of Automotive Technology 2008 9 3 277 288
- Pflüger F Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharging - 3K-Warner's New Charging System for Commercial Diesel Engines[R] The Sixth International Conference on Turbocharging and Air Management Systems London, UK 1998
- Christmann R , Schmalzl H , Schmitt F et al. Regulated 2-Stage Turbocharging for Passenger Car and Commercial Vehicle Engines [J] MTZ worldwide Edition 2005 66 1
- Choi H , Kwon S , Cho S Development of Fuel Consumption of Passenger Diesel Engine with 2 Stage Turbocharger[C] SAE paper 2006-01-0021 Detroit, Michigan 2006
- Zhang Qingning , Brace Chris et al. Simulation Study of the Series Sequential Turbocharging for Engine Downsizing and Fuel Efficiency [C] SAE paper 2013-01-0935 2013
- Watel E , Pagot A , Pacaud P et al. Matching and Evaluating Methods for Euro 6 and Efficient Two-stage Turbocharging Diesel Engine[C] SAE paper 2010-01-1229 2010
- Gandhi Naresh , Gokhale Nitin et al. Development of Two Stage Turbo-Charging for Medium Duty Diesel Engine of Power Generation Application [C] SAE paper 2012-28-0007 2012
- Steinparzer F , Stütz W , Kratochwill H et al. BMW's New Six-Cylinder Diesel Engine with Two-Stage Turbocharging[J] MTZ worldwide Edition 2005 66 05 2 5
- Langen P , Hall W , Nefischer P et al. The New Two-stage Turbocharged Six-cylinder Diesel Engine of the BMW 740d [J] ATZ auto technology 2010 10 2 44 51
- Plianos Alexandros , Stobart Richard Modeling and Control of Diesel Engines Equipped with a Two-Stage Turbo-System[C] SAE paper 2008-01-1018 2008
- Matsura Y , Nakazawa N , Kobayashi Y et al. Effects of Various Methods for Improving Vehicle Start ability and Transient Response of Turbocharged Diesel Trucks [C] SAE paper 920044 1992
- Galindo J , Serrano J R , Vera F et al. Relevance of valve overlap for meeting Euro 5 soot missions requirements during load transient process in heavy duty diesel engines International Journal of Vehicle Design 2006 41 1-2 343 367
- Rakopoulos C D , Giakoumis E G et al. Diesel Engine Transient Operation London Springer-Verlag London Limited 2009 7 22
- Zelenka P , Aufinger H , Reczek W et al. Cooled EGR-A key technology for future efficient HD diesels[C] SAE paper 980190 1998