This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Reduced Order Model for a Passenger Car Turbo Charging System and Application to Engine Output Torque Profile Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Downsizing engines with a turbocharging system have been widely applied to passenger cars to improve fuel economy. Engine torque response to accelerator operation is one of important features in addition to steady state performance of the system. Torque profile management for turbocharged internal combustion engines is one of required technologies.
A turbocharging system for a car is a system with a positive feedback loop in which compressed air drives the compressor after the combustion process. A reduced order model was derived for the charging system. Pressure ratio of a compressor is proportional to square of turbine speed and the turbine speed is a first order delay system to throttle opening in the model.
Model structure was designed from mathematical equations that describe turbine and compressor works. Model parameters were identified from measured data. An output torque profile control strategy based on the derived model is investigated.
CitationTogai, K. and Fujinaga, N., "A Reduced Order Model for a Passenger Car Turbo Charging System and Application to Engine Output Torque Profile Control," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1981, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1981.
- Togai Kazuhide , Tamaki Hisashi A Reduced Order Powertrain Model Concept for Model Based Development Process with a Driver Agent SAE International SAE 2012-01-1628 2012
- Saravanamutoo HIH , Rogers GFC , Cohen H , Straznicky PV Gas turbine theory 6th 2009 Pearson Education Ltd.
- Nakhjiri , M. , Pelz , P. , Matyschok , B. , Däubler , L. et al. Physical Modeling of Automotive Turbocharger Compressor: Analytical Approach and Validation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2214 2011
- Leufvén Oskar , Bergström Johan Surge Modeling and Control of Automotive Turbochargers University essay from Linköpings universitet 2007
- Müller Martin Estimation and Control of Turbocharged Engines SAE 2008-01-1013
- Togai Kazuhide , Yamaura Hiroki , Ishihama Masao Output profile shaping of an internal combustion engine for noise & vibration improvement JSAE20135626 2013