This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on PM Formation Behavior in Laminar Diffusion Flames of Diesel Fuel with Fatty Acids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, formation behaviors of soot in laminar diffusion flames of diesel fuel with fatty acid or fatty acid methyl ester (FAME) were investigated. Oleic acid and oleic acid methyl ester were selected as fatty acid and fatty acid methyl ester. Combustion gas emitted from the laminar diffusion flame was sampled, and PM composition in the gas was analyzed. Laser induced incandescence (LII) and laser induced fluorescence (LIF) techniques were applied to measure soot and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) distributions in the laminar diffusion flames. As the results, soot emission and soot incandescence distributions were decreased by the addition of fatty acid or fatty acid methyl ester. Moreover, PAH concentration in the closed flame became high by addition of fatty acid or fatty acid methyl ester.
CitationMatsushima, K., Tago, N., Zama, Y., Furuhata, T. et al., "Study on PM Formation Behavior in Laminar Diffusion Flames of Diesel Fuel with Fatty Acids," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1931, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1931.
- Kittelson , D. , Johnson , J. , Watts , W. , Qiang , W. , Paulsen , D. , and Bukowiecki , N. Diesel Aerosol Sampling in the Atmosphere SAE TECHNICAL PAPER SERIES , 2000-01-2212
- Oberdoerster , G. , Maynard , A. , Donaldson , K. , Castranova , V. , Fitzpatrick , J. , Ausman , K. , Carter , J. , Karn , B. , Kreyling , W. , Lai , D. , Olin , S. , Monteiro-Riviere , N. , Warheit , D. and Hong , Y. and A report from the ILSL Research Foundation/Risk Science Institute Nanomaterial Toxicity Screening Working Group Principles for characterizing the potential human health effects from exposure to nanomaterials: elements of a screening strategy Particle and Fiber Toxicology 2005 2 1 35
- Kobayashi , T. Present Status and Issues of Assessment of Exposure and Health Effect of Nanoparticles Journal of Japan Society for Atmospheric Environment 42 5 2007 271 282
- Longwell , J. P. THE FORMATION OF POLYCYCLE ALOMATIC HYDROCARBONS. BY COMBUSTION Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute 1982 1339 1350
- Morawska , L. Hofmann , W. , Hitchins-Loveday , J. , Swanson , C. and Mengersen , K. Experimental study of the deposition of combustion aerosols in the human respiratory tract Journal of Aerosol Science 36 2005 939 957
- Peter N. Laminar Diffusion Flamelet Model in Non-Premixed Turbulent Combustion Prog. Energy Combust. Sci 10 319 1984
- Liew S. K. , Bray K. N. C. and Moss J. B. A Stretched Laminar Flamelet Model of Turbulent Nonpremixed Combustion Combust. Flame 56 199 1984
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions Draft Technical Report ii 2002
- Magno Agnese , Mancaruso Ezio , Vaglieco Bianca Maria Effects of a biodiesel blend on energy distribution and exhaust emissions of a small CI engine Energy Conversion and Management 96 2015 72 80
- Rahman M.M. , Pourkhesalian A.M. , Jahirul M.I. , Stevanovic S. , Pham P.X. , Wang H. , Masri A.R. , Brown R.J. , Ristovski Z.D. Particle emissions from biodiesels with different physical properties and chemical composition Fuel 134 2014 201 208
- Sato K. , Hayashida K. , Amagai K. and Arai . M. Laser Measurement of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in a Flame (1st Report, Separation of Laser-Induced Fluorescence and Incandescence by Time-Resolved Measurement) Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers , Series B 70 692 1051 1057 2004
- Sato K. , Hayashida K. , Miyakawa T. , Amagai K. and Arai M. Laser Measurement of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in a Flame (2nd Report, Presumption of PAHs by Laser-Induced Fluorescence Spectrum) Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers , Series B 70 696 2183 2190 2004
- Hayashida K. , Amagai K. and Arai M. Transaction of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers , Series B 65 633 1999