This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Improving Spray Development and Evaporation on Emissions from DI Diesel Engines Fueled with Straight Rape-Seed Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study tries to reduce SOF (Soluble Organic Fraction) emissions at low load by improving spray characteristics of rape-seed oil and avoiding wall-impingement of the spray to the piston wall in a real direct-injection diesel engine applying rape-seed oil directly. High swirling air motion and squish flow caused by the piston configurations are taken as measures. Further, flat bottom shape of the piston is applied. Results show that emissions can be improved by the support of air motions. High swirl with toroidal piston is effective to reduce SOF emissions. Re-entrant piston with flat bottom shape offers the best emission performance. Raising gas temperature is also effective to reduce SOF emissions at low load.
CitationKidoguchi, Y., Nozaki, J., Hieda, Y., Shimizu, K. et al., "Effect of Improving Spray Development and Evaporation on Emissions from DI Diesel Engines Fueled with Straight Rape-Seed Oil," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1925, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1925.
- Nabi , M. N. , Shahadat , M. N. , Rahman , M. S. , Beg , M. R. A. Behavior of Diesel Combustion and Exhaust Emission with Neat Diesel Fuel and Diesel-Biodiesel Blends SAE Paper 2004-01-3034 2004
- Kawano , D. , Ishii , H. , Goto , Y. , Noda , A. , Aoyagi , Y. Application of Biodiesel Fuel to Modern Diesel Engine SAE Paper 2006-01-023 2006
- Suryawanshi , J. Performance and Emission Characteristics of CI Engine Fueled by Coconut Oil Methyl Ester SAE Paper 2006-32-0077 2006
- Lebeckas , G. L. , Slavinskas , S. Performance of direct-injection off-road diesel engine on rapeseed oil Renewable Energy 31 2006 849 863
- Jazair , W. , Harada , T. , Kubo , S. , Kidoguchi , Y. , Miwa , K. Improvement of Emission in a DI Diesel Engine Fuelled by Bio-diesel Fuel and Waste Cooking Oil SAE Paper 2007-01-2029 2007
- Yamane , K. , Ueta , A. , Shimamoto , Y. Influence of physical and chemical properties of biodiesel fuels on injection, combustion and exhaust emission characteristics in a direct injection compression ignition engine Int. J. Engine Research 2 4 2001 249 261
- Senda , J. , Okui , N. , Suzuki , T. , Fujimoto , H. Flame Structure and Combustion Characteristics in Diesel Combustion fueled with Bio-diesel SAE Paper 2004-01-84 2004
- Lee , C. S. , Parl , S. W. , Kwon , S. I. An Experimental Study on the Atomization and Combustion Characteristics of Biodiesel-Blended Fuels Ebergy & Fuels 19 2005 2201 2208
- Sem , T. R. Effect of Various Lubricating Oils on Piston Deposits in Biodiesel Fueled Engines SAE Paper 2004-01-0098 2004
- Sapit , A. , Nagayasu , S. , Tsuboi , Y. , Nada , Y. et al. A Study on Improvement of Diesel Spray Characteristics Fueled by Rape-seed Oil SAE Int. J. FuelsLubr. 5 1 529 539 2012
- Murayama , T. , Oh , Y. , Miyamoto , N. , Chikahisa , T. , Takagi , N. , Ito , K. Low Carbon Flower Buildup, Low Smoke, and Efficient Diesel Operation with Vegetable Oils by Conversion to Mono-Esters and Blending with Diesel Oil or Alcohols SAE Paper 841161 1984
- Kalam , M. A. , Masjuki , H. H. Emissions and Deposit Characteristics of a Small Diesel Engine When Operated on Preheated Crude Palm Oil SAE Paper 2005-01-3697 2005
- Krahl , J. , Munnack , A. , Bahadir , M. , Schumacher , L. , Elser , N. Review: Utilization of Rapeseed Oil, Rapeseed Oil Methyl Ester or Diesel Fuel: Exhaust Gas Emissions and Estimation of Environmental Effects SAE Paper 962096 1996
- Omori , T. , Tanaka , A. , Yamada , K. , and Bunne , S. Biodiesel Fuel Effects on Injection System and Establishment of the Evaluation Method SAE Paper 2011-28-0057 2011
- Sapit , A. , Yano , T. , Kidoguchi , Y. , Nada , Y. Effect of Wall Configuration on Atomization of Rapeseed Oil Diesel Spray Impinging on the Wall Applied Mechanics and Materials 315 2013 320 324
- Fitzgeorge , D. , Allison , J.L. Air Swirl in a Road-Vehicle Diesel Engine Proc. Instu. Mech. Engrs. 4 151 177 1962
- Yang , C. , Kidoguchi , Y. , Miwa , K. Effect of Rich and High Turbulence Combustion on NOx and Particulate Emissions from a High Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine COMODIA98 1998 63 68