This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Derived from Micro-Algal Oil on DI Diesel Engines with Common-Rail Type Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
“Drop-in” biofuels have a high potential as an alternative to petro-fuels. Because drop-in biofuels are hydrocarbon fuel, there are no issues related to poor oxidation stability such as in FAME. Diesel fuel which is named “SoladieselRD” is liquid bio-hydrocarbon and is the hydro-treated oil of micro-algal triglyceride. In this study, the engine performance and exhaust emission characteristics using SoladieselRD were investigated and compared with those using petro-diesel fuel (gas oil). A test was conducted using a single-cylinder, water-cooled, direct-injection diesel engine with a common-rail type high-pressure injection system. From the experimental results, it was clear that the ignition delay of SoladieselRD is shorter than that of petro-diesel, and the trade-off relationship between PM and NOx emissions by SoladieselRD was better than that of gas oil. Therefore, it was concluded that SoladieselRD has a high potential for simultaneously reducing exhaust gas emissions, combustion noise, and specific fuel consumption.
CitationYamane, K., Kawasaki, K., Murata, M., Minami, W. et al., "Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Derived from Micro-Algal Oil on DI Diesel Engines with Common-Rail Type Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1924, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1924.
- Demirbas, A. Importance of biodiesel as transportation fuel. Energy Policy 2007, 35, 4661-4670.
- Chisti, Y. Biodiesel from microalgae. Biotechnol. Adv. 2007, 25, 294-306.
- Haik Y., Selim M.Y.E., Abdulrehman, T., Combustion of algae oil methyl ester in an indirect injection diesel engine. Energy 2011, 36, 1827-1835.
- Hariram V., Kumar G.M., Combustion analysis of algal oil methyl ester in a direct injection compression ignition engine, J. of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol.8, No.1, 2013, 77-92.
- Caton P.A., Williams S.A., Kamin R.A, Luning-Prak D., Hamilton L.J., Cowart J.S., “Hydrotreated Algae Renewable Fuel Performance in a Military Diesel Engine, ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division, Spring Technical Conference, Torino, Italy, 2012, ICES 2012-81048, 121-132.
- Petersen J.H., Combustion heat release rate comparison of algae hydroprocessed renewable diesel to F-76 in a two stroke diesel engine, Thesis of Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School, 2013.
- Khan M.Y., Russel R.L., Welch W.A., Cocker III D.R. Ghosh S., Impact of Algae Biofuel on In-Use Gaseous and Particulate Emissions from a Marine Vessel, Energy&Fuels, 2012, 26, 6137-6143.
- Yamane K., Oishi M., Osakada K., Kondo K., Kawasaki K., The Effect of Enriched CO2 Aeration in Cultivation on Cell Growing and Oil Production of Microalgae for Biofuel, Preprint of the JSME, The 19th National Symposium on Power and Energy Systems (SPES2014), 1-2, June 27, 2014.(in Japanese)