This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laser Breakdown-Assisted Long-Distance Discharge Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We developed a novel ignition method called laser breakdown-assisted long-distance discharge ignition (LBALDI) that combines laser breakdown with a discharge to realize lean combustion. The creation of laser breakdown plasma between electrodes for discharge enables discharges over longer distances than those of conventional sparkplug as inferred from laser-triggered lightning or laser-triggered gas switches. This method should help realize volumetric ignition through the creation of a long-distance discharge. Experiments on the fundamental discharge and ignition of methane/air mixtures were conducted. The optimum incident time of the laser prior to the application of a high voltage was found to reduce the sparkover voltage and markedly reduce the voltage required by LBALDI under pressurized air conditions. In the ignition experiment, LBALDI showed the fastest heat release rate at the lean flammable limit. This paper discusses the advantages of LBALDI over the other high-energy ignition system.
|Technical Paper||High-Frequency Ignition Characteristics in a 4-Valve SI Engine with Tumble-Swirl Flows|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of High Voltage Electrical Field on the Flame Propagation|
|Technical Paper||Laser Spark Plug Development|
CitationFukumi, Y., Imamura, O., Akihama, K., Takahashi, E. et al., "Laser Breakdown-Assisted Long-Distance Discharge Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1897, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1897.
- Briggs , T. , Alger , T. , and Mangold , B. Advanced Ignition Systems Evaluations for High-Dilution SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 7 4 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2625
- Zhang , A. , Cung , K. , Lee , S. , Naber , J. et al. The Impact of Spark Discharge Pattern on Flame Initiation in a Turbulent Lean and Dilute Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 435 446 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1627
- Pancheshnyi , S.V. , Lacoste , D. A. , Bourdon , A. , and Laux C. O. Ignition of Propane-Air Mixture by a Repetitively Pulsed Nanosecond Discharge IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 34 2478 2006
- Tanoue , K. , Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Hotta , E. et al. Development of a Novel Ignition System Using Repetitive Pulse Discharges: Application to a SI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 298 306 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0505
- Ikeda , Y. , Nishiyama , A. , Katano , H. , Kaneko , M. , and Jeong , H. Research and development of microwave plasma combustion engine (Part II: engine performance of plasma combustion engine) SAE Tech. Pap. 2009-01-1049 2009
- Bradley , D. , Sheppard , C.G.W. , Suardjaja , I.M. , and Woolley , R. Fundamentals of high-energy spark ignition with lasers Combust. Flame 138 1-2 55 77 2004 10.1016/j.combustflame.2004.04.002
- Nishio , N. , Abe , Y. , Hanashi , K. , Aochi , T. , Sasaki , N. , and Nakata , K. Development of High Ignitability Spark Plug with Flow Guide Plate JSAE Paper No: 20145016 May 2014 53-14 2014
- Wang , D. , Ushio , T. , Kawasaki , Z.-I. , Matsuura , K. , Shimada , Y. , Uchida , S. , Yamanaka , C. , Izawa , Y. , Sonoi , Y. , and Simokura , N. A possible way to trigger lightning using a laser J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 57 5 459 466 1995
- Yamanaka , T. , Uchida , S. , Shimada , Y. , Yasuda , H. , Motokoshi , S. et al. First observation of laser-triggered lightning Proc. SPIE 3343, High-Power Laser Ablation 281 September 14 1998 10.1117/12.321551 http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.321551
- Dougal , R.A. , and Williams , P.F. Fundamental processes in the laser-triggered electrical breakdown of gases: Unconventional geometries J. Appl. Phys. 60 12 4240 1986 10.1063/1.337462
- Kushner , M.J. , Milroy , R.D. , and Kimura , W.D. A laser-triggered spark gap model J. Appl. Phys. 58 8 2988 1985 10.1063/1.335848