This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Momentum Flux Measurements on an ECN GDi Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper explores the use of rate of injection (ROI) and rate of momentum (ROM) to characterize the internal flow of an ECN gasoline direct injector. Rate of momentum has been successfully used in diesel injectors with this objective and for the first time, the measurements have been made on a GDi injector. The paper focuses on the experimental setup used and the different uncertainties and difficulties to translate the typically measured diesel technique to a gasoline injector.
CitationPayri, R., Gimeno, J., Marti-Aldaravi, P., and Vaquerizo, D., "Momentum Flux Measurements on an ECN GDi Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1893, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1893.
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 216 234 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0368
- Zhao , H. 1 - Overview of gasoline direct injection engines , in Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development Zhao H. 2010 Woodhead Publishing 1 19
- Wang , C. et al. Impact of fuel and injection system on particle emissions from a GDI engine Applied Energy 2014 132 178 191
- Costa , M. et al. Multiple Injection in a Mixed Mode GDI Boosted Engine Training 2009 01 26
- Hoffmann , G. , Befrui , B. , Berndorfer , A. , Piock , W. et al. Fuel System Pressure Increase for Enhanced Performance of GDi Multi-Hole Injection Systems SAE Int. J. Engines 7 1 519 527 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1209
- Desantes , J.M. et al. Experimental characterization of internal nozzle flow and diesel spray behavior. Part I: Non evaporative conditions Atomization And Sprays 2005 15 5 489 516
- Desantes , J.M. et al. Measurements of spray momentum for the study of cavitation in diesel injection nozzles SAE Paper 2003-01-0703 2003
- Payri , R. et al. A study of the relation between nozzle geometry, internal flow and sprays characteristics in Diesel fuel injection systems Ksme International Journal 2004 18 7 1222 1235
- Payri , R. et al. Using one-dimensional modelling to analyse the influence of Diesel nozzle geometry in the injection rate characteristics International Journal of Vehicle Design 2005 39 1 58 78
- Lang , O. et al. Potential of the Spray-guided Combustion System in Combination with Turbocharging 2008 SAE International
- Payri , R. et al. Experimental and computational study of the influence of partial needle lift on nozzle flow in diesel fuel injectors Atomization and Sprays 2012 22 8
- Payri , R. et al. Using spray momentum flux measurements to understand the influence of Diesel nozzle geometry on spray characteristics Fuel 2005 84 5 551 561
- Macian , V. et al. A New Technique for Determination of Internal Geometry of a Diesel Nozzle with the Use of Silicone Methodology Experimental Techniques 2003 27 2 39 43
- Bosch , W. The fuel rate indicator: a new measuring instrument for display of the characteristics of individual injection 1966 SAE Technical Paper
- Payri , R. et al. A new methodology for correcting the signal cumulative phenomenon on injection rate measurements Experimental Techniques 2008 32 1 46 49
- Lemmon , E.W. , McLinden , M.O. , and Friend D.G. Thermophysical Properties of Fluid Systems in NIST Chemistry WebBook 2011 Linstrom P.J. and Mallard W.G. National Institute of Standards and Technology Gaithersburg MD 20899
- Delacourt , E. , Desmet , B. , and Besson B. Characterisation of very high pressure diesel sprays using digital imaging techniques Fuel 2005 84 7 859 867