This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition Improvement of Premixed Methane-Air Mixtures by Distributed Spark Discharge
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to improve the fuel economy for future high-efficiency spark ignition engines, the use of advanced combustion strategies with an overall lean and/or exhaust gas recirculation diluted cylinder charge is deemed to be beneficial, provided a reliable ignition process available. In this paper, experimental results of igniting methane-air mixture by means of capacitive coupled ignition and multi-coil distributed spark ignition are presented. It is found that with a conventional spark plug electrode configuration, increase of spark energy does not proportionally enhance the ignition flame kernel development. The use of capacitive coupled ignition to enhance the initial transient power resulted in faster kernel growth compared to the conventional system. The distribution of the spark energy across a number of spark gaps shows considerable benefit. The multi-coil distributed spark ignition with multiple low energy sparks produces faster early flame kernel growth than that of a single high energy spark with the same amount of total energy.
CitationYu, S., Xie, K., Tan, Q., Wang, M. et al., "Ignition Improvement of Premixed Methane-Air Mixtures by Distributed Spark Discharge," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1889, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1889.
- Zaccardi, J., Pagot, A., Vangraefschepe, F., Dognin, C. et al., Optimal Design for a Highly Downsized Gasoline Engine, SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1794, 2009
- Takaki, D., Tsuchida, H., Kobara, T., Akagi, M. et al., Study of an EGR System for Downsizing Turbocharged Gasoline Engine to Improve Fuel Economy, SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1199, 2014.
- Knοp, V. and Essayem, E., “Comparison of PFI and DI Operation in a Downsized Gasoline Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):941-952, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1103.
- Shiraishi, T., Kakuho, A., Urushihara, T., Cathey, C. et al., “A Study of Volumetric Ignition Using High-Speed Plasma for Improving Lean Combustion Performance in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1):399-408, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0466.
- Shiraishi, T. and Urushihara, T., Fundamental Analysis of Combustion Initiation Characteristics of Low Temperature Plasma Ignition for Internal Combustion Gasoline Engine, SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0660, 2011
- Correale, G., Rakitin, A., Nikipelov, A., Pancheshnyi, S. et al., Non-Equilibrium Plasma Ignition for Internal Combustion Engines, SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0090, 2011
- Nishiyama, A. and Ikeda, Y., Improvement of Lean Limit and Fuel Consumption Using Microwave Plasma Ignition Technology, SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1139, 2012
- Ko, Y., Anderson, R.W., Arpaci, V.S., Spark Ignition of Propane-Air Mixtures Near the Minimum Ignition Energy: Part I. An Experimental Study, Combustion and Flame, 83 (1991): 75-87.
- Huang, C.C., Shy, S.S., Liu, C.C., Yan, Y.Y., A Transition on Minimum Ignition Energy for Lean Turbulent Methane Combustion in Flamelet and Distributed Regimes, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2006.08.024.
- Lee, T.-W., Jain, V., Kozola, S., Measurements of Minimum Ignition Energy by Using Laser Sparks for Hydrocarbon Fuels in Air: Propane, Dodecane, and Jet-A fuel, Combustion and Flame, 2001, 125(4):1320-1328
- Maly, R., Vogel, M., Ignition and Propagation of Flame Fronts in Lean CH4-air Mixures by the Three Modes of the Ignition Spark, Proceedings of Seventeenth International Symposium on Combustion, pp. 821-831, The Combustion Institute, 1976
- Dale, J.D., Checkel, M.D., and Smy, P.R., Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 1997, 23: 379-398
- Rohwein, G. J., An Efficient Power-enhanced Ignition System, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 1997, 25(2): 306-310
- Yoshida, K., Shoji, H., Tanaka, H., Performance of Newly Developed Plasma Jet Igniter, SAE Paper, 1999-09-28, 1999
- Hall, M.J., Matthews, R.D., Ezekoye, O.O., Railplug Ignition Operating Characteristics and Performance: A Review, SAE Paper, 2007-01-1832, 2007
- Alger, T., Gingrich, J., Mangold, B., and Roberts, C., “A Continuous Discharge Ignition System for EGR Limit Extension in SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):677-692, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0661.
- Alger, T., Gingrich, J., Roberts, C., Mangold, B. et al., A High-Energy Continuous Discharge Ignition System for Dilute Engine Applications, SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1628, 2013
- Bailkeri, N., Prasad S, K., Rao B.R, S., Performance Study on Twin Plug Spark Ignition Engine at Different Ignition Timings, International Journal of Science and Research, 2013, 2(8):231-236
- Zheng, M., Yu, S., Xie, K., Multi-coil Spark Ignition System, Patent No.: CA2818547 A1