This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heat Release Rate and Cylinder Gas Pressure Oscillation in Low and High Speed Knock
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
One of the authors has proposed to use the decay rate of EHRR, the effective heat release rate, d2Q/dθ2 as an index for the rapid local combustion . In this study, EHRR profiles and the cylinder gas pressure oscillations of the low and high speed knock are analyzed by using this index. A delayed rapid local combustion, such as an autoignition with small burned mass fraction can be detected. In the cases of the low speed knock, it has been agreed that a rapid local combustion is an autoignition.
Although whether the cylinder gas oscillation is provoked by an auto ignition in a certain cycle or not is an irregular phenomenon, the auto ignition takes place in almost all of the cycles in the knocking condition. Mixture mass fraction burned by an auto ignition is large.
A small auto ignition may induce a secondary auto ignition, in many cases, mass burned by the secondary auto ignition is extremely large. On the other hand, in the cases of the high speed knock, it has not been confirmed that the rapid local combustion is an auto ignition.
An intense cylinder gas pressure oscillation is provoked in most of the cycles in the knocking condition, and standing wave at the edges in combustion chamber, may induce a cylinder gas pressure oscillation even in the non-knocking cycles. A mixture mass fraction burned by a rapid local combustion seems to be small and give no influence to the EHRR profile.
|Technical Paper||Proposition of a Stratified Charge System by Using In-Cylinder Gas Motion|
|Technical Paper||On the Maximum Pressure Rise Rate in Boosted HCCI Operation|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods|
CitationAndo, H., Nishiyama, A., Wachi, Y., Kuwahara, K. et al., "Heat Release Rate and Cylinder Gas Pressure Oscillation in Low and High Speed Knock," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1880, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1880.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Ando , H. , Takemura , J. , and Koujina , E. A Knock Anticipating Strategy Basing on the Real-Time Combustion Mode Analysis SAE Technical Paper 890882 1989 10.4271/890882
- Ohta , Y. Initiations of Engine Knock: Traditional and Modern FLAME STRUCTURE 2 1991 372 375
- Nakagawa , Y. , Takagi , Y. , Itoh , T. , and Iijima , T. Laser Shadow graphic Analysis of Knocking in S. I. Engine SAE Paper 840500
- Tanaka , D. , Oki , H. , Yamazaki , T. , Miura , A. et al. Analysis of Cyclic Variations of Combustion in High Compression Ratio Boosted D.I.S.I. Engine by Ion-Current Probes and CFD SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1484 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1484
- Ohta Y. , and Takahashi , H. Mixing of unburned mixture with flame frontal zone: Another cause of engine knock? Progress in Astronautics and aeronautics 113 277 289 1987
- Kawahara , N. , and Tomita , E. Visualization of Auto-ignition and Pressure Wave During Knocking in a Hydrogen Spark-ignition Engine Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 34 3156 3163
- Fraser , F. A. , Bracco , F. V. Cycle Resolved LDV Integral Length Scale Measurement in an I. C. Engine SAE Paper 880381
- Hettinger , A. and Kulzer , A. A New Method to Detect Knocking Zones SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 645 665 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0698
- Ando , H. , Sakai , Y. , and Kuwahara , K. Factors Determining the Octane Number of Alkanes SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1227 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1227
- Ando , H. , Sakai , Y. , and Kuwahara , K. Universal Rule of Hydrocarbon Oxidation SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0948 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0948
- Kuwahara , K. and Ando , H. Role of Heat Accumulation by Reaction Loop Initiated by H2O2 Decomposition for Thermal Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0908 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0908
- Ando , H. , Sakai , Y. , and Kuwahara , K. Chemical Kinetics of Plasma-Assisted Combustion Possibility of Ignition Delay Shortening by Plasma-Support J. Plasma Fusion Res. 89 4 2013 220 224
- Miyoshi , A. Systematic Computational Study on the Unimolecular Reactions of Alkylperoxy (RO2), Hydroperoxyalkyl (QOOH), and Hydroperoxyalkyl-peroxy (O2QOOH) Radicals J. Phys. Chem. A 115 3301 3325 2011
- Ikegami , M. , Kidoguchi , Y. , and Nishiwaki , K. A Multidimensional Model Prediction of Heat Transfer in Non-Fired Engines SAE Technical Paper 860467 1986 10.4271/860467