This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanism Analysis on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Mechanism of suddenly occurring behavior of low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) in boosted spark ignition (SI) engines was analyzed with various experimental methodologies.
Endoscope-visualized 1st cycle of LSPI showed droplet-like luminous flame kernels as the origin of flame propagation before spark ignition. With the oil lubricated visualization engine, droplets flying were observed only after enough accumulation of fuel at piston crevice. Also, it was confirmed that subsequent cycles of LSPI occur only after enough operation time.
These results indicated that local accumulation of liner adhered fuel and saturation of oil dilution can be a contributing factor to the sudden occurrence of LSPI.
|Technical Paper||Using an Optical Proximeter to Phase Cylinder Pressure to Crankshaft Position|
|Technical Paper||ENGINE CORROSION-ITS CAUSES AND AVOIDANCE|
|Technical Paper||Temporary Engine Oil Viscosity Changes at High Temperatures|
CitationKassai, M., Hashimoto, H., Shiraishi, T., Teraji, A. et al., "Mechanism Analysis on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1867, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1867.
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0340
- Inoue , T. et al. Abnormal Combustion in a Highly Boosted SI Engine - The Occurrence of Super Knock SAE 2012-01-1141 2012
- Takeuchi , K. , Fujimoto , K. , Hirano , S. , and Yamashita , M. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1017 1024 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1615
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Ito , H. et al. A Study on Ignition Characteristics of Droplets Containing Lubricant Using a Constant Volume Chamber and Multi-Dimensional CFD Code JSAE Papers 45 4 671 676 2014
- Echigo , R. et al. An Investigation on LSPI Mechanism in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine The 25 th Internal combustion engine symposium Tsukuba, Japan 2014
- Ohtomo , M. et al. Effect of a Single Oil Droplet on Ignition of Gasoline Mixture Proceeding of JSAE Annual Spring Conference No.53-14 5 10 2014
- Izumi , Y. et al. Optical Analysis of Low-speed Pre-Ignition on Highly Boosted SI engine Proceeding of JSAE Annual Spring Conference No.54-14 1 6 2014
- Schünemann E. et al. Pre-ignition analysis on a turbocharged gasoline engine with direct injection 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines 380 393 2013
- Palaveev , S. et al. Simulations and experimental investigations of intermittent pre-ignition series in a turbocharged DISI engine 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines Berlin 414 442 2013
- Döhler A. et al A contribution to better understanding the pre-ignition phenomenon in highly charged internal combustion engines with direct fuel injection 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines Berlin 41 61 2013
- Lauer T. et al. Model Approach for Pre-Ignition Mechanisms MTZ worldwide 75 1 44 49 2014
- Thirouard , B. et al. Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack (Part I): Identification and Characterization of the Main Oil Transport Routes and Mechanisms SAE Paper 2003-01-1953 2003
- Moriyoshi , Y. et al. A study of a Highly Boosted Gasoline Engine in Low Speed Region Aiming at Extension of the Limit of Downsizing Concept (2nd Report:Numerical Analysis of LSPI Mechanism and Auto-ignition Caused by CaO Formation The 25 th Internal combustion engine symposium Tsukuba, Japan 2014
- Shayler , P. et al. Fuel Transport to the Crankcase, Oil Dilution and HC Return with Breather Flow During the Cold Operation of a SI Engine SAE Paper 2000-01-1235 2000