This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Examination of Spray Stochastics in Single-Hole Diesel Injectors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent advances in x-ray spray diagnostics at Argonne National Laboratory's Advanced Photon Source have made absorption measurements of individual spray events possible. A focused x-ray beam (5×6 μm) enables collection of data along a single line of sight in the flow field and these measurements have allowed the calculation of quantitative, shot-to-shot statistics for the projected mass of fuel sprays. Raster scanning though the spray generates a two-dimensional field of data, which is a path integrated representation of a three-dimensional flow. In a previous work, we investigated the shot-to-shot variation over 32 events by visualizing the ensemble standard deviations throughout a two dimensional mapping of the spray. In the current work, provide further analysis of the time to steady-state and steady-state spatial location of the fluctuating field via the transverse integrated fluctuations (TIF). We then utilize newly acquired data with a much larger number of spray events (between 200 and 400), to assess the statistical convergence of the ensemble mean and standard deviation. The spatial domain has been extended to out to 24.0 mm downstream of the nozzle. A 180 μm nozzle has been used for this portion of the study, at two rail pressures (500 and 1500 bar), and two ambient pressures (1 and 20 bar).
CitationSwantek, A., Duke, D., Powell, C., and Kastengren, A., "An Examination of Spray Stochastics in Single-Hole Diesel Injectors," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1834, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1834.
- Pierpont , D.A. and Reitz , R.D. Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D.I. Diesel Emissions and Performance Paper Number 950604 , SAE International Congress and Expo Detroit, MI, USA 1995
- Senecal , P.K. , Pomraning , E. , Xue , Q , Som. S et al. Large Eddy Simulation of Vaporizing Sprays Considering Multi-injection Averaging and Grid-Convergent Mesh Resolution Proc. of the ASME 2013 ICEF, ICEF2013-19082 2013
- Kastengren , A. , and Powell , C.F. Synchrotron X-Ray Techniques for Fluid Dynamics Experiments in Fluids 55 3 1686 2014
- Cai , W. , Powell , C. F. , Yue , Y. , Narayanan , S. et al. Quantitative Analysis of Highly Transient Fuel Sprays by Time-Resolved X-Radiography Appl. Phys. Lett. 83 8_ 1671 1673 2003
- Scarcelli , R. , Kastengren , A.K. , Powell , C.F. , Wallner , T.F. et al. CFD and X-ray Investigations of the Characteristics of Under-Expanded Gaseous Jets Proceedings of COMODIA -2012 Fukuoka, Japan 2012
- Cheong , S.-K. , Liu , J. , Shu , D. , Wang , J. et al. Effects of Ambient Pressure on Dynamics of Near-Nozzle Diesel Sprays Studied by Ultrafast X-Radiography SAE Paper No. 2004-01-2026 2004
- Powell , C. F. , Ciatti , S. , Cheong , S.-K. , Liu , J et al. X-Ray Absorption Measurement of Diesel Sprays and the Effect of Nozzle Geometry SAE Paper No. 2004-01-2011 2004
- Kastengren , A. , Powell , C. F. , Riedel , T. , Cheong , S.-K et al. Determination of Diesel Spray Axial Velocity Using X-Ray Radiography SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0666 2007
- Kastengren A. , Powell , C.F. , Tilocco , F.Z. , Liu , Z. et al. End-of-Injection Behavior of Diesel Sprays Measured With X-Ray Radiography J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power 134 094501-1 4 2012
- Kastengren A. , Powell , C.F. , Tilocco , F.Z. , Liu , Z. et al. End-of-Injection Behavior of Diesel Sprays Measured with X-Ray Radiography Proc. Of the ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Div. Fall Tech. Conference San Antonio, TX, USA Sept. 2010
- Kastengren , A.L , Powell , C.F. , Wang , Y.J , Wang , J. Study of Diesel Jet Variability Using Single-Shot X-Ray Radiography J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power 130 032811-1 7 2008
- Swantek , A. , Kastengren , A. , Duke , D. , Tilocco , Z. et al. Quantification of Shot-to-Shot Variation in Single Hole Diesel Injectors SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 8 1 160 166 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0936
- Kastengren , A. , Powell , C.F. , Arms , D. , Dufresne , E.M. et al. The 7BM beamline at the APS: a facility for time-resolved fluid dynamics measurements J. Synchrotron Radiation 19 654 657 2012
- Duke , D. , Swantek , A. , Tilocco , Z. , Kastengren , A. et al. X-ray Imaging of Cavitation in Diesel Injectors SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 1003 1016 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1404
- Kastengren , A. , Powell , C.F , Riedel , T. , Cheon , S.-K. et al. Determination of Diesel Spray Axial Velocity Using X-ray Radiography SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0666 2007
- Swantek , A.B. , Duke , D. , Tilocco , F.Z. Sovis , N. et al. End of Injection, Mass Expulsion Behaviors in Single Hole Diesel Fuel Injectors ILASS Americas 26 th Annual Conference Portland, OR, USA 2014
- Swantek , A.B. , Duke , D. , Tilocco , F.Z. Sovis , N. et al. A Further Examination of Fuel Dribble from Single Hole Diesel Nozzles ILASS Europe 26 th Annual Conference Bremen, Germany 2014