This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Examination of Spray Stochastics in Single-Hole Diesel Injectors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent advances in x-ray spray diagnostics at Argonne National Laboratory's Advanced Photon Source have made absorption measurements of individual spray events possible. A focused x-ray beam (5×6 μm) enables collection of data along a single line of sight in the flow field and these measurements have allowed the calculation of quantitative, shot-to-shot statistics for the projected mass of fuel sprays. Raster scanning though the spray generates a two-dimensional field of data, which is a path integrated representation of a three-dimensional flow. In a previous work, we investigated the shot-to-shot variation over 32 events by visualizing the ensemble standard deviations throughout a two dimensional mapping of the spray. In the current work, provide further analysis of the time to steady-state and steady-state spatial location of the fluctuating field via the transverse integrated fluctuations (TIF). We then utilize newly acquired data with a much larger number of spray events (between 200 and 400), to assess the statistical convergence of the ensemble mean and standard deviation. The spatial domain has been extended to out to 24.0 mm downstream of the nozzle. A 180 μm nozzle has been used for this portion of the study, at two rail pressures (500 and 1500 bar), and two ambient pressures (1 and 20 bar).
CitationSwantek, A., Duke, D., Powell, C., and Kastengren, A., "An Examination of Spray Stochastics in Single-Hole Diesel Injectors," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1834, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1834.
- Pierpont, D.A. and Reitz, R.D., “Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D.I. Diesel Emissions and Performance,” Paper Number 950604, SAE International Congress and Expo, Detroit, MI, USA 1995.
- Senecal, P.K., Pomraning, E., Xue, Q, Som. S, et al., “Large Eddy Simulation of Vaporizing Sprays Considering Multi-injection Averaging and Grid-Convergent Mesh Resolution,” Proc. of the ASME 2013 ICEF, ICEF2013-19082, 2013.
- Kastengren, A., and Powell, C.F., “Synchrotron X-Ray Techniques for Fluid Dynamics,” Experiments in Fluids 55(3):1686 (2014).
- Cai, W., Powell, C. F., Yue, Y., Narayanan, S., et al., “Quantitative Analysis of Highly Transient Fuel Sprays by Time-Resolved X-Radiography,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 83_8_, pp. 1671-1673, 2003.
- Scarcelli, R., Kastengren, A.K., Powell, C.F., Wallner, T.F. et al., “CFD and X-ray Investigations of the Characteristics of Under-Expanded Gaseous Jets. Proceedings of COMODIA -2012, Fukuoka, Japan, 2012.
- Cheong, S.-K., Liu, J., Shu, D., Wang, J. et al., “Effects of Ambient Pressure on Dynamics of Near-Nozzle Diesel Sprays Studied by Ultrafast X-Radiography,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-2026, 2004.
- Powell, C. F., Ciatti, S., Cheong, S.-K., Liu, J, et al., “X-Ray Absorption Measurement of Diesel Sprays and the Effect of Nozzle Geometry,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-2011, 2004.
- Kastengren, A., Powell, C. F., Riedel, T., Cheong, S.-K, et al., “Determination of Diesel Spray Axial Velocity Using X-Ray Radiography,” SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0666, 2007.
- Kastengren A., Powell, C.F., Tilocco, F.Z., Liu, Z., et al., “End-of-Injection Behavior of Diesel Sprays Measured With X-Ray Radiography,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power, 134:094501-1-4, 2012.
- Kastengren A., Powell, C.F., Tilocco, F.Z., Liu, Z., et al., “End-of-Injection Behavior of Diesel Sprays Measured with X-Ray Radiography,” Proc. Of the ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Div. Fall Tech. Conference. San Antonio, TX, USA Sept. 2010.
- Kastengren, A.L, Powell, C.F., Wang, Y.J, Wang, J., “Study of Diesel Jet Variability Using Single-Shot X-Ray Radiography,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power, 130:032811-1-7, 2008.
- Swantek, A., Kastengren, A., Duke, D., Tilocco, Z. et al., “Quantification of Shot-to-Shot Variation in Single Hole Diesel Injectors,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(1):160-166, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0936.
- Kastengren, A., Powell, C.F., Arms, D., Dufresne, E.M., et al., “The 7BM beamline at the APS: a facility for time-resolved fluid dynamics measurements,” J. Synchrotron Radiation. 19:654-657, 2012.
- Duke, D., Swantek, A., Tilocco, Z., Kastengren, A. et al., “X-ray Imaging of Cavitation in Diesel Injectors,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):1003-1016, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1404.
- Kastengren, A., Powell, C.F, Riedel, T., Cheon, S.-K., et al. “Determination of Diesel Spray Axial Velocity Using X-ray Radiography,” SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0666, 2007.
- Swantek, A.B., Duke, D., Tilocco, F.Z. Sovis, N., et al., “End of Injection, Mass Expulsion Behaviors in Single Hole Diesel Fuel Injectors,” ILASS Americas 26th Annual Conference, Portland, OR, USA, 2014
- Swantek, A.B., Duke, D., Tilocco, F.Z. Sovis, N., et al., “A Further Examination of Fuel Dribble from Single Hole Diesel Nozzles,” ILASS Europe 26th Annual Conference, Bremen, Germany, 2014.