This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Premixed Fuel Effect on Ignition and Combustion of Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Effects of chemical reaction characteristics of premixed fuel were experimentally studied in a dual fuel compression ignition engine using port injection (PI) of gasoline-like component and direct injection (DI) of diesel fuel. Octane number of port injection fuels, direct injection timing and injection amount ratio between PI and DI were swept to assess the interaction between chemical reaction and mixture distribution in a combustion chamber. Chemical kinetic study using multi-zone modeling was also performed in order to explain experimental results under quiescent condition.
CitationKobashi, Y., Muto, R., and Kato, S., "Premixed Fuel Effect on Ignition and Combustion of Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1789, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1789.
- Aroonsrisopon, T., Werner, P., Waldman, J. O., Sohm, V., Foster, D. E., Morikawa, T. and Iida, M., “Expanding the HCCI Operation with the Charge Stratification”, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1756, 2004.
- Sjöberg, M., Edling, L-O., Eliassen, T., Magnussen, L. and Ångström, H-E., “GDI HCCI: Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel Stratification, Combustion and Emissions Formation”, SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0106, 2002.
- Dec, J. E. and Sjöberg, M., “A Parametric Study of HCCI Combustion - the Source of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effects of GDI Fuel Injection”, SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0752, 2003.
- Kumano, K. and Iida, N., “Analysis of the Effect of Charge Inhomogeneity on HCCI Combustion by Chemiluminescence Measurement”, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1902, 2004.
- Sjöberg, M. and Dec, J. E., “Smoothing HCCI Heat-Release Rates Using Partial Fuel Stratification with Two-Stage Ignition Fuels”, SAE Paper No. 2006-01-0629, 2006.
- Shibata, G., Oyama, K., Urushihara, T. and Nakano, T., “Correlation of Low Temperature Heat Release with Fuel Composition and HCCI Engine Combustion”, SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0138, 2005.
- Furutani, M., Ohta, Y., Kono, M. and Hasegawa, M., “An Ultra-Lean Premixed Compression Ignition Engine Concept and its Characteristics”, The Fourth International Symposium COMODIA 98, pp.173-177, 1998.
- Sato, S., Jun, D., Kweon, S., Yamashita, D. and Iida, N., “Basic Research on the Suitable Fuel for HCCI Engine from the Viewpoint of Chemical Reaction”, SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0149, 2005.
- Shudo, T. and Takahashi, T., “Influence of Reformed Gas Composition on HCCI Combustion of Onboard Methanol-Reformed Gases”, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1908, 2004.
- Ogawa, H., Miyamoto, N., Kaneko, N. and Ando, H., “Combustion Control and Operating Range Expansion in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Direct In-Cylinder Injection of Reaction Inhibitors”, International Journal of Engine Research, Vol.6, No.4, pp.341-359, 2005.
- Inagaki, K., Fuyuto, T., Nishikawa, K., Nakakita, K. and Sakata, I., “Dual-Fuel PCI Combustion Controlled by In-Cylinder Stratification of Ignitability”, SAE Paper No. 2006-01-0028, 2006.
- Kokjohn, S., Hanson, R., Splitter, D., and Reitz, R., “Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):24-39, 2010, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2647.
- Hanson, R., Kokjohn, S., Splitter, D., and Reitz, R., “An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):700-716, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0864.
- Splitter, D., Reitz, R., and Hanson, R., “High Efficiency, Low Emissions RCCI Combustion by Use of a Fuel Additive,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):742-756, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2167.
- Splitter, D., Kokjohn, S., Rein, K., Hanson, R. et al., “An Optical Investigation of Ignition Processes in Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):142-162, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0345.
- Kokjohn, S. L., Hanson, R. M., Splitter, D. A. and Reitz, R. D., “Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI): a Pathway to Controlled High-Efficiency Clean Combustion”, International Journal of Engine Research, Vol.12, No.3, pp.209-226, 2011.
- Splitter, D., Hanson, R., Kokjohn, S., Wissink, M. and Reitz, R., “Injection Effects in Low Load RCCI Dual-Fuel Combustion”, SAE Paper No. 2011-24-0047, 2011.
- Curran, S. J., Hanson, R. M. and Wagner, R. M., “Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Combustion on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine”, International Journal of Engine Research, Vol.13, No.3, pp.216-225, 2012.
- Splitter, D. A., Hanson, R. M., Kokjohn, S. L. and Reitz, R. D., “Improving Engine Performance by Optimizing Fuel Reactivity with a Dual Fuel PCCI Strategy”, THIESEL 2010 Conference, pp.553-570, 2010.
- Dempsey, A. B., Adhikary, B. D., Viswanathan, S. and Reitz, R. D., “Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Using Premixed Hydrated Ethanol and Direct Injection Diesel”, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol.134, 2012.
- Blessinger, M., Stein, J., and Ghandhi, J., “An Optical Investigation of Fuel Composition Effects in a Reactivity Controlled HSDI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):516-525, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0691.
- http://www.reactiondesign.com/products/chemkin/chemkin-pro/ (access date 2015/01/25)
- https://www-pls.llnl.gov/?url=science_and_technology-chemistry-combustion (access date 2015/01/25)
- Curran, H. J., Gaffuri, P., Pitz, W. J. and Westbrook, C. K., “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of iso-Octane Oxidation”, Combustion and Flame, 129, pp.253-280, 2002.
- Curran, H. J., Pitz, W. J., Westbrook, C. K., Callahan, C. V. and Dryer, F. L., “Oxidation of Automotive Primary Reference Fuels at Elevated Pressures”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 27, pp.379-387, 1998.
- Kokjohn, S. L. and Reitz, R. D., “Characterization of Dual-Fuel PCCI Combustion in a Light-Duty Engine”, Proceedings of the International Multi-Dimensional Engine Modeling User's Group Meeting, 2010.